Author Topic: My kingdom for a modifiable armor  (Read 8783 times)

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
My kingdom for a modifiable armor
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:59:23 AM »
I've been on this server since last January and, after all these months, I've come to realize one rather irrational fact: there are no armors for monks with AC bonuses that are actually modifiable (or I've somehow been unable to find any). Everything from Gi's to bikinis, kung-fu pants and Miko dresses, is unmodifiable. Sure, some allow legs modification, others only allow robe modification, and some don't even have a robe option. No matter which one I choose, I always have to make compromises in terms of looks, since none of them allows the entire thing to be modified. I've tried to find a valid reason for this, but honestly? One simply cannot justify it.

There's a total of three +2AC armors I was able to get my hands on for my monk, all three having little to no options in terms of appearance customization. This forces me to actions that are mighty annoying, to say the least:

1. It forces me to carry two sets of armor with me at all times, one that actually has no stats but looks like I want it to look, and one that has the stats I want but is unmodifiable.
2. It forces many an eyebrow to be raised IC for two main reasons: a. there's no way to justify wearing something you dislike the looks of, while at the same time having to IC explain why you're unable to change said looks and b. I have to actually RP changing clothes each time I engage in combat, which also makes little IC sense, since my character's supposed to have only one set of clothes she wears for both combat and every day life. Both are cloth afterall, so what am I supposed to answer IC when asked why I change them?
3. It forces me to consider actually enchanting a piece of cloth armor, sacrificing both XP and IG currency, only so that I can have what should be a given, namely viable stats in combination with customized looks based on my personal preference. Side note here: from what I've found out, enchanted cloth armors don't give more than 2AC, which makes this even worse. This basically means that I'd be enchanting the item for the luxury of being able to modify it, and not for the stats.

I understand it if certain items are supposed to originate from far away lands and thus carry with them a specific look. I wouldn't mind if some kept said look for this reason, but... each and every one? It's a bit of an overkill. I also understand the mentality of wanting to keep certain classes look like certain classes, and not have fighters for example run around fighting in trench coats. However, I don't intent to give my monk a look that wouldn't suit her class. I merely want to be able to modify at least one of the many +2AC armors out there to something that better applies to my personal taste, without being forced to do any of the aforementioned things. It'd be really nice to have that option.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:24:22 AM by Kiyosa »

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
Re: My kingdom for a modifiable armor
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:04:38 AM »
+1

I totally support this, different monks from different realms and different orders all have different appearances, would be nice to see them fully supported!

Visslea

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:51:44 AM »
The +2 AC garment my character is using is completely modifiable. It must be really hard to find, though, because I have never seen another.

:(

Where can one get these... bikinis?

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:08:25 AM »
There is a +2 AC robe for monks that is fully modifiable (Robe of the Shining Hand).  It just might take a bit of looking, because in my experience it spawns in a dungeon that people don't run as often as the usual haunts.

Also, if you'd like to see improvement in the type or variety of items available on the server, feel free to whip up a few unique items and post them here:
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
There is a +2 AC robe for monks that is fully modifiable (Robe of the Shining Hand).  It just might take a bit of looking, because in my experience it spawns in a dungeon that people don't run as often as the usual haunts.

Also, if you'd like to see improvement in the type or variety of items available on the server, feel free to whip up a few unique items and post them here:
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0
I think the idea is that the current monk gear would be modifiable. Which I agree with.

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 10:21:20 AM »
I think the idea is that the current monk gear would be modifiable. Which I agree with.

This. Yes, there is one out of Idontknowhowmany monk suitable armors out there that is fully modifiable, but why does it also have to be one of the rarest items to get? I believe that the effort invested in getting decent monk gear is pretty immense in the first place, seeing how such is really not easy to come by, and by no means should it be any tougher by having most armors be in this state.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 11:00:30 AM »
First, all of the monk items spawn from the same treasury, so any dungeon that spawns monk items can spawn anything so long as its GP value falls within the proper range.

Second, the number of monk clothing items that are fully modifiable outnumber the ones that aren't.

Third, our crafting system includes clothing so you can always make your own stuff if you don't like what you find in the loot tables.

Lastly, you can always suggest new items for the loot tables here: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »
EDIT- Oops, looks like Blue beat me to the punch.  I had quoted him from a bunch of old threads  :lol:.  Also it seems I was mistaken about the loot thing, I suppose it just had to do with the dungeon being on higher spawn due to it not being run often, rather than the location.

For Justaucorps, the jacket is the part that is enchanted. If you remove the jacket, then you don't have the enchantment anymore.

I just added a crapload of new modifiable monk robes (19!) to the loot tables. They should be live in less than a week. You can stop whining about it now.

(Bluebomber explains all the robes and what they are based on - spoiler because lots of images)
Spoiler: show
In case anyone else is scratching their heads over some of the items, I'll explain:

The Capoeria Bikini, as mentioned above, is an homage of Elena from Street Fighter III:

The White Gi is from Ryu, from all the Street Fighter games:

The Red Gi is from Ryu's rival/best friend Ken:

The Black Gi is from Akuma:

The Black Kung-Fu Pants are based on the Street Fighter character Fei Long:

who, in turn, was based off of Bruce Lee, and his look is taken from the outfit Bruce wore in Enter the Dragon.

The Delta Red Outfit is from Cammy:

The Red Vos Bear-Wrestling Trunks is based on Zangief's outfit:

The Saikyo Gi is based on Street Fighter Alpha's Dan Hibiki, a joke character known for tons of taunt moves:

The Wu-Shu Outfit is based on Chun-Li's outfits in the Street Fighter Alpha games:

The Kickboxer's Garb is based on Sagat:

Shifting from Street Fighter to Dead or Alive, we have:

The Mugen-Tenshin Hajinmon Outfit, based on the character Ayane:

And the Mugen-Tenshin Outfit, based on Kasumi:

Basically what I'm saying is that there are plenty of modifiable monk robes out there (Apparently at least 19), and the ones that are not craftible were simply not meant to be crafted and it likely won't change.  You have the power to suggest your own items to be added to the loot tables, but usually when this thread comes around nobody actually wants to put in the work to try it.  As for it not being IC for your character to have "combat clothes" and normal clothes, that can be a perfectly IC thing.  If certain robes are less restricting, magically enchanted, or for some other reason perform better in a combat situation than your normal clothes, then your character would wear them.  In a dungeon it's about survival, not looking good.  It's not hard to explain that a garb may lose it's magical enchantments if you suddenly went about cutting and altering it.

Think of it going kind of like this:

Them - "Hey, how come you change into Bruce Li pants when we go punch skellingtons and warwolves?"
You - "Hey, these Bruce Li pants are enchanted by magical protection.  It might not show off my curves, but a slit throat isn't very sexy either and that's what I'd be rocking if I went in that cave unprotected.  Deal with it, annoying party mate.  PS - Is your silly looking  armor enchanted too, or did you actually CHOOSE to look that way?" 
  :lightingzapA:  HAAA~ GOT'EM!

But seriously, it's a totally justifiable thing ICly, just takes a bit of creative RP.  Try to have fun with it, rather than seeing it as a limitation.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 11:25:36 AM »
I think it is silly, one item or two is fine as an homage. but the vast majority shouldn't be created to make street fighter characters. Because as far as I am aware we are not playing a streetfighter style game.

but this give me ideas such as suggesting that the red-vardo outfit is a pink skirt that -men- have to wear.

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
First, all of the monk items spawn from the same treasury, so any dungeon that spawns monk items can spawn anything so long as its GP value falls within the proper range.
That's really good to know, though some items still drop a lot rarer than others. And I mean.... a lot rarer, like Fists of Andral or the armor mentioned a few posts ago.

Second, the number of monk clothing items that are fully modifiable outnumber the ones that aren't.
Are you referring to +2AC and above armor pieces, or to anything a monk can wear? Because I'm specifically addressing the +2AC stuff here.

Third, our crafting system includes clothing so you can always make your own stuff if you don't like what you find in the loot tables.

Lastly, you can always suggest new items for the loot tables here: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=5772.0
I'm aware I can craft and suggest new things to be added, but I believe it'd be a lot easier to just lift the locks on the already existing gear.

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
I think it is silly, one item or two is fine as an homage. but the vast majority shouldn't be created to make street fighter characters. Because as far as I am aware we are not playing a streetfighter style game.

but this give me ideas such as suggesting that the red-vardo outfit is a pink skirt that -men- have to wear.

I don't think any of the outfits are any more out of line the 3.5 monk class itself is in a Ravenloft setting. Besides, I had seen those outfits, some of them for years, without even knowing the homage so I doubt it's ruining anyone's immersive experience.

Lastly you should clean up that attitude of yours Herkles, you're coming off as rude.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »
That's really good to know, though some items still drop a lot rarer than others. And I mean.... a lot rarer, like Fists of Andral or the armor mentioned a few posts ago.
part of what determines what spawns is the GP value of an item, the total allowable GP value of the particular treasure chest, and the strength of the monster spawn in the dungeon at the time the chest spawns. There's a lot of variables at play, although powerful items have higher GP values that usually exceed the assigned GP values given to chests in low level dungeons.

Are you referring to +2AC and above armor pieces, or to anything a monk can wear? Because I'm specifically addressing the +2AC stuff here.
I was referring to all monk clothes. Still, even the ones that have locks on their parts can have robes added and can be dyed.

I'm aware I can craft and suggest new things to be added, but I believe it'd be a lot easier to just lift the locks on the already existing gear.
the locks aren't going to be lifted.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 02:36:51 PM »
Enchanted silks and wools are also ideal for monks, and completely craftable - just be sure to do it before enchanting them. A tailor would be good to talk to about what materials will fill your needs. But you really can't beat the stats on those.

There are also holy virgin robes, which are fairly common and craftable. A lot of monk gear drops in
Perfidus
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 03:20:14 PM »
I was referring to all monk clothes. Still, even the ones that have locks on their parts can have robes added and can be dyed.

Yes, but that still means making compromises in regards to the looks. Why are monks forced to do that when it comes to their best armors, unlike most other classes? I'm still really trying to understand the mentality behind the decision here.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »

Yes, but that still means making compromises in regards to the looks. Why are monks forced to do that when it comes to their best armors, unlike most other classes? I'm still really trying to understand the mentality behind the decision here.

I would think it has to do with the fact that monks are a part of a sect, a monastery, an order. with this in mind, and casting off the sin of vanity, they would be most inclined to wear the robes of their order, rather than something fashionable. It is less about looks, and more about function, mindfulness, and law/order.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 03:57:35 PM »
The items with appearance locks are not limited to monk clothes. If an item has a part that can't be changed, it is something that is vital to its functionality. Some of them should absolutely have a robe part to work (saffron robes), or a jacket (Justaucorps), or cannot have a part replaced (tattooed monk garb has a tattooed chest piece and the tattoo is what gives you the power).

Or it can be because there are wildly different appearances for that item that one shouldn't be able to make. For example, it's possible to modify a torch into a baby, and vice-versa, which is just stupid.

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 04:02:50 PM »
I would think it has to do with the fact that monks are a part of a sect, a monastery, an order. with this in mind, and casting off the sin of vanity, they would be most inclined to wear the robes of their order, rather than something fashionable. It is less about looks, and more about function, mindfulness, and law/order.
Then surely this should also apply to paladins and clerics, no? Yet they really don't have to struggle with similar compromises.

The items with appearance locks are not limited to monk clothes. If an item has a part that can't be changed, it is something that is vital to its functionality. Some of them should absolutely have a robe part to work (saffron robes), or a jacket (Justaucorps), or cannot have a part replaced (tattooed monk garb has a tattooed chest piece and the tattoo is what gives you the power).

Or it can be because there are wildly different appearances for that item that one shouldn't be able to make. For example, it's possible to modify a torch into a baby, and vice-versa, which is just stupid.
I did say on my very first post that I understand why certain items need to have locks. What I don't understand is why all but one +2AC armor piece for monks are not modifiable/only partly modifiable. I still can't say I understand, but I'll let it be.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
lol, witchfire baby

Yeah the appearance of certain items pertains to lore around that item. It isn't so much an issue for generic fabrics, but specific items that are crafted a certain way are made that way as per the lore.

Now, there really is nothing wrong with sacrificing XP/Gp for enchanted gear. It really is kind of amazing. I know my silks gives me a +2 ac and I think a +4 vs slashing...or piercing or something like that, as well as a bunch of other skills and stats, including Universal saving throws which are wonderful to have, all for only 11,000 xp. Which is not as much as you might think! And not all enchanters are expensive, either, and some will even sell you their life force for the job. This should definitely be a goal :)

Edit:
Then surely this should also apply to paladins and clerics, no? Yet they really don't have to struggle with similar compromises.

Oh they most certainly do have some restricted items. As do Sorcs and others. But monks are specifically more strict and rigorous as per their RP and their very nature. (and remember, there are a lot of restrictions on monks, like being Lawful, codes, values, morality, etc.)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:07:41 PM by Tycat »
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »

I don't think any of the outfits are any more out of line the 3.5 monk class itself is in a Ravenloft setting. Besides, I had seen those outfits, some of them for years, without even knowing the homage so I doubt it's ruining anyone's immersive experience.

Lastly you should clean up that attitude of yours Herkles, you're coming off as rude.

So you are saying that monk class does not make sense for Ravenloft :P

Anyways I do apologize for my tone.

Wouldn't that be called faction gear? As far as I am aware, we don't have monastic orders on the server

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 05:19:25 PM »
Oh they most certainly do have some restricted items. As do Sorcs and others. But monks are specifically more strict and rigorous as per their RP and their very nature. (and remember, there are a lot of restrictions on monks, like being Lawful, codes, values, morality, etc.)
I would disagree with that, seeing how paladins are possibly the class with the strictest RP in terms of how and what they're supposed to be, yet they don't have their high level gear restricted the same way.

That said, I have yet to receive a valid answer to a very simple question, but after seeing how it's being avoided like the pest (and I really have no idea why) I will simply let it be, like I said earlier.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
I already gave you the answer: the locked parts of those outfits are important to their functionality, either in how they look or the material they're made of. 

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure there were some straight forward answers.

If an item has a part that can't be changed, it is something that is vital to its functionality. Some of them should absolutely have a robe part to work (saffron robes), or a jacket (Justaucorps), or cannot have a part replaced (tattooed monk garb has a tattooed chest piece and the tattoo is what gives you the power).

This one is a good post too, with lots of answers.

EDIT- Oops, looks like Blue beat me to the punch.  I had quoted him from a bunch of old threads  :lol:.  Also it seems I was mistaken about the loot thing, I suppose it just had to do with the dungeon being on higher spawn due to it not being run often, rather than the location.

For Justaucorps, the jacket is the part that is enchanted. If you remove the jacket, then you don't have the enchantment anymore.

I just added a crapload of new modifiable monk robes (19!) to the loot tables. They should be live in less than a week. You can stop whining about it now.

(Bluebomber explains all the robes and what they are based on - spoiler because lots of images)
In case anyone else is scratching their heads over some of the items, I'll explain:

The Capoeria Bikini, as mentioned above, is an homage of Elena from Street Fighter III:

The White Gi is from Ryu, from all the Street Fighter games:

The Red Gi is from Ryu's rival/best friend Ken:

The Black Gi is from Akuma:

The Black Kung-Fu Pants are based on the Street Fighter character Fei Long:

who, in turn, was based off of Bruce Lee, and his look is taken from the outfit Bruce wore in Enter the Dragon.

The Delta Red Outfit is from Cammy:

The Red Vos Bear-Wrestling Trunks is based on Zangief's outfit:

The Saikyo Gi is based on Street Fighter Alpha's Dan Hibiki, a joke character known for tons of taunt moves:

The Wu-Shu Outfit is based on Chun-Li's outfits in the Street Fighter Alpha games:

The Kickboxer's Garb is based on Sagat:

Shifting from Street Fighter to Dead or Alive, we have:

The Mugen-Tenshin Hajinmon Outfit, based on the character Ayane:

And the Mugen-Tenshin Outfit, based on Kasumi:

Basically what I'm saying is that there are plenty of modifiable monk robes out there (Apparently at least 19), and the ones that are not craftible were simply not meant to be crafted and it likely won't change.  You have the power to suggest your own items to be added to the loot tables, but usually when this thread comes around nobody actually wants to put in the work to try it.  As for it not being IC for your character to have "combat clothes" and normal clothes, that can be a perfectly IC thing.  If certain robes are less restricting, magically enchanted, or for some other reason perform better in a combat situation than your normal clothes, then your character would wear them.  In a dungeon it's about survival, not looking good.  It's not hard to explain that a garb may lose it's magical enchantments if you suddenly went about cutting and altering it.

Think of it going kind of like this:

Them - "Hey, how come you change into Bruce Li pants when we go punch skellingtons and warwolves?"
You - "Hey, these Bruce Li pants are enchanted by magical protection.  It might not show off my curves, but a slit throat isn't very sexy either and that's what I'd be rocking if I went in that cave unprotected.  Deal with it, annoying party mate.  PS - Is your silly looking  armor enchanted too, or did you actually CHOOSE to look that way?"
  :lightingzapA:  HAAA~ GOT'EM!

But seriously, it's a totally justifiable thing ICly, just takes a bit of creative RP.  Try to have fun with it, rather than seeing it as a limitation.

Blue is anything BUT not straightforward.

Spoiler: Monk, Per D&D • show
[quote=Dungeons & Dragons Player Handbook, Page 39]MONK
Dotted across the landscape are monasteries—small, walled cloisters
inhabited by monks who pursue personal perfection through action
as well as contemplation. They train themselves to be versatile
warriors skilled at fighting without weapons or armor. The
inhabitants of monasteries headed by good masters serve as
protectors of the people. Ready for battle even when barefoot and
dressed in peasant clothes, monks can travel unnoticed among the
populace
, catching bandits, warlords, and corrupt nobles unawares.
In contrast, the residents of monasteries headed by evil masters rule
the surrounding lands through fear, as an evil warlord and his
entourage might. Evil monks make ideal spies, infiltrators, and
assassins.

The individual monk is unlikely to care passionately about
championing commoners or amassing wealth
. She cares primarily
for the perfection of her art and, thereby, her personal perfection.
Her goal is to achieve a state that is beyond the mortal realm.

Adventures: A monk approaches an adventure as if it were a
personal test. While not prone to showing off, monks are willing to
try their skills against whatever obstacles confront them. They are
not greedy for material wealth, but they eagerly seek that which can
help them perfect their art.

Characteristics: The key feature of the monk is her ability to
fight unarmed and unarmored. Thanks to her rigorous training, she
can strike as hard as if she were armed and strike faster than a
warrior with a sword.

Though a monk casts no spells, she has a magic of her own. She
channels a subtle energy, called ki, which allows her to perform
amazing feats. The monk’s best-known feat is her ability to stun an
opponent with an unarmed blow. A monk also has a preternatural
awareness that allows her to dodge an attack even if she is not consciously
aware of it.

As the monk gains experience and power, her mundane and kioriented
abilities grow, giving her more and more power over herself
and, sometimes, over others.

Alignment: A monk’s training requires strict discipline. Only
those who are lawful at heart are capable of undertaking it.
Religion: A monk’s training is her spiritual path. She is innerdirected
and capable of a private, mystic connection to the spiritual
world, so she needs neither clerics nor gods. Certain lawful gods,
however, may appeal to monks, who may meditate on the gods’
likenesses and attempt to emulate their deeds. The three most likely
candidates for a monk’s devotion are Heironeous (god of valor), St.
Cuthbert (god of retribution), and Hextor (god of tyranny).

Background: A monk typically trains in a monastery. Most
monks were children when they joined the monastery, sent to live
there when their parents died, when there wasn’t enough food to
support them, or in return for some kindness that the monastery
had performed for the family. Life in the monastery is so focused
that by the time a monk sets off on her own, she feels little connection
to her former family or village.

In larger cities, master monks have set up monk schools to teach
their arts to those who are interested and worthy. The monks who
study at these academies often see their rural cousins from the
monasteries as backward.

A monk may feel a deep connection to her monastery or school,
to the monk who taught her, to the lineage into which she was
trained, or to all of these. Some monks, however, have no sense of
connection other than to their own path of personal development.
Monks recognize each other as a select group set apart from the
rest of the populace. They may feel kinship, but they also love to
compete with each other to see whose ki is strongest.

Races: Monasteries are found primarily among humans, who
have incorporated them into their ever-evolving culture. Thus,
many monks are humans, and many are half-orcs and half-elves who
live among humans. Elves are capable of single-minded, long-term
devotion to an interest, art, or discipline, and some of them leave the
forests to become monks. The monk tradition is alien to dwarf and
gnome culture, and halflings typically have too mobile a lifestyle to
commit themselves to a monastery, so dwarves, gnomes, and
halflings very rarely become monks.

The savage humanoids do not have the stable social structure that
allows monk training, but the occasional orphaned or abandoned
child from some humanoid tribe winds up in a civilized monastery
or is adopted by a wandering master. The evil subterranean elves
known as the drow have a small but successful monk tradition.

Other Classes: Monks sometimes seem distant because they
often have neither motivation nor skills in common with members
of other classes. Monks do, however, work well with the support of
others, and they usually prove themselves reliable companions.

Role: The monk functions best as an opportunistic combatant,
using her speed to get into and out of combat quickly rather than
engaging in prolonged melees. She also makes an excellent scout,
particularly if she focuses her skill selection on stealth. [/quote]

I post this incase anyone is curious why I keep mentioning the fact that monks are fairly restricted. I could not find the Ravenloft description of the class in the pdf of the player's handbook, but I did find this. While Paladins are restricted, I feel monks are also pretty restricted in terms of dogma and behavior. They usually come from a monestary as well, which is why it pertains to the clothing selections also being limited.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

IntoTheUnderdark

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 07:48:26 PM »
The first post Blue made in this thread answered the question.  These particular items cannot be altered for very specific reasons, all of which make perfect ic sense.

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 08:17:45 PM »
Perhaps I haven't been clear enough regarding my question.

I understand it if certain items are supposed to originate from far away lands and thus carry with them a specific look. I wouldn't mind if some kept said look for this reason, but... each and every one? It's a bit of an overkill. I also understand the mentality of wanting to keep certain classes look like certain classes, and not have fighters for example run around fighting in trench coats. However, I don't intent to give my monk a look that wouldn't suit her class.

I've constantly been referring to items that are +2AC or higher (not even sure that's a thing). My question, from the very start, was why the vast majority of the items in that specific stat range are locked, some more than others. Blue did partly answer that by saying that it serves their functionality, although it still leaves questions open for someone who knows little about how this specific platform works. Especially since most other classes don't seem to be restricted to such for whatever reason.

I've received several IG PMs since and decided to drop this topic, so you might as well lock it :)

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 11:15:35 PM »
Perhaps I haven't been clear enough regarding my question.

I understand it if certain items are supposed to originate from far away lands and thus carry with them a specific look. I wouldn't mind if some kept said look for this reason, but... each and every one? It's a bit of an overkill. I also understand the mentality of wanting to keep certain classes look like certain classes, and not have fighters for example run around fighting in trench coats. However, I don't intent to give my monk a look that wouldn't suit her class.

I've constantly been referring to items that are +2AC or higher (not even sure that's a thing). My question, from the very start, was why the vast majority of the items in that specific stat range are locked, some more than others. Blue did partly answer that by saying that it serves their functionality, although it still leaves questions open for someone who knows little about how this specific platform works. Especially since most other classes don't seem to be restricted to such for whatever reason.

I've received several IG PMs since and decided to drop this topic, so you might as well lock it :)
Most other classes have armor with a base AC higher than what clothes add, and thus are limited to other pieces with the same base AC that aren't wildly different in appearance. The clothing pieces in NWN, the ones with no base AC, are very different from each other, especially with the content from the CEP added. There's less of a need to restrict the heavier armors because the options for appearances are basically the same, unlike with clothes. But I can assure you that it isn't just monk robes that have these partial appearance locks, they're just the only things you've noticed.