You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Whisper Range  (Read 3306 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Whisper Range
« on: June 10, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
Using whisper seems anything but a whisper. Even when standing a good measure of distance away from someone you can still easily hear whats being whispered without being next to them. At the moment "whisper" seems more of a indoor voice while talk is "yelling" mostly since you can hear it clear across a room. Talk i can see leaving as is, but whisper is horrible. Would be better off almost just using tells to convey whispers >..<

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Re: Whisper Range
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 04:55:46 PM »
Well, all that could really be added in my opinion is the ability to whisper directly in someones ear, but that takes coding unless we can use tells for that.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 05:03:44 PM »
Arnt we able to just lower the range from what ever its set at to half? Not sure it requires alot of coding. . .more just adjusting a little piece of such. Unless its something that is hardcoded and cant be changed?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 05:18:18 PM »
I prefer it as it is to be honest. If you reduce it by half you would no longer be able to whisper while sitting around a (small) table, half your companions would not hear you.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 05:48:50 PM »
I thought the range you can hear Whispering was determined by how many ranks you have in Listen. No?
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 05:50:19 PM »
I thought the range you can hear Whispering was determined by how many ranks you have in Listen. No?

No, it's preset.

Arnt we able to just lower the range from what ever its set at to half? Not sure it requires alot of coding. . .more just adjusting a little piece of such. Unless its something that is hardcoded and cant be changed?

It's hardcoded unfortunately.

Well, all that could really be added in my opinion is the ability to whisper directly in someones ear, but that takes coding unless we can use tells for that.

That won't be possible and we don't want players to send tells to simulate whispering. It's best to use the whisper channel; just move further away from others if you don't want them to overhear the conversation.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 07:16:49 PM »
I send tells as whispers from stealth so as not to break it. Is that cheesing?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 07:29:22 PM »

I think that's fine though if you whisper to someone, logically they'd "hear" you and know where you are.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 07:40:45 PM »

I think that's fine though if you whisper to someone, logically they'd "hear" you and know where you are.

Yeah, I think its more cheesing to have /talk conversations with people that detected you, while others hear nothing.

Gutshank

• Dirty n00b!!!1
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
One might be more annoying than the other but I believe both are cheesing.
~Dawn Bless~

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
well if your stealthed and whisper if they don't know your there IE detect you... They hear nothing.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2015, 09:23:34 PM »
I personally like the whisper range as it is, there's a lot of tables in-game that are arranged in a way so you can have a hushed conversation and everyone can hear it.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 11:01:01 PM »

The only thing that troubles me with this.... if your speaking, your making noise, even if it is a hushed whisper, it should give someone a listen check to determine if they notice you, even if not exactly what you said. Standing still to my knowledge does not give others a listen check, and certainly does not provide you with any negatives to your existing skill.

Sage - When stories come to life

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:37:00 AM »

The only thing that troubles me with this.... if your speaking, your making noise, even if it is a hushed whisper, it should give someone a listen check to determine if they notice you, even if not exactly what you said. Standing still to my knowledge does not give others a listen check, and certainly does not provide you with any negatives to your existing skill.

I would do that if it were possible to do it
1) Without breaking mechanical stealth
and
2) If that person had even the slightest chance of winning that roll.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 12:44:47 AM »
But the issue im talking about is more that any person can lower their voice to the point only those right next to them can hear, or where it has to be directly in their ear, or just to those gathered around them.

Nwn only allows at the moment two volumes to be represented :/

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:49:28 AM »
The "whisper" range in NWN is 2.5 meters, while the "talk" range is 20 meters.  If you want to eyeball it visually, a human model is roughly 2 meters tall in the game, so folks can hear a whisper a little over a body length away from you.

Incidentally, some measurements in NWN are given in feet and some in meters.  The conversion in the game is 1 meter = 3.3 feet.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Arawn

• Developers and
  • Dark Power
  • Gwrandewch ar y cwn.
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 03:08:17 AM »
After some consideration, the official position of the server DM team is as follows:

In order to preserve fairness and prevent potential 'gray areas' in the rules, all Tells are to be considered purely OOC communication. Emoting, whispering, or any other IC action must be done in a whisper (/w) or in talk (/tk). This prevents the use of Tells to circumvent the Stealth and Listen mechanics found in the game engine. This is so that our rules are consistent with our general policy that in almost all cases is that the game engine is what you see is what you get.
Hir yw'r dydd a hir yw'r nos, a hir yw aros Arawn.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 03:31:36 AM »
Alrighty then.