You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Dynamic Spawn: Suggestions!  (Read 1790 times)

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
Dynamic Spawn: Suggestions!
« on: June 01, 2015, 06:09:44 AM »
I feel like the dynamically changing spawns and growth in dungeons is something that gives the server its own unique appeal. However I feel the major drawback of this system like this is that it is very dependent on the mindset of players. I'm sure a number of us have run into the situation where you are hopeful to find a dungeon to do with a group; yet have to actively spend a majority of some peoples limited playtime finding something that is actually worth a salt doing; dungeon chaining is a reoccurring practice that makes it difficult for all players to enjoy a challenge. A group of adventure-hungry players can hit all the dungeons in an area during a peek hour and leave the rest of the servers prospecting adventurers with little to do; most of the time taking a few short trips to check all of the nearby spawns to find something else productive to no avail.

My proposition is to come up with some sort of system in which a player is allowed to 'boost' the spawn calculations of a dungeon one time per reset, or per day, whatever the limiting factor should be. I'd recommend incorporating a means that supports group-play; the more players contributing the higher spawn-rate you can speed up. Something like 5-10% per contributing player seems more than fair and allows people who group together looking for a challenge have the option to guarentee a bit of enjoyment.

A few ideas that I was thinking..

:arrow: An NPC similar to the Mist Camps Madame can be handled like a quest giver, flagging all of the players in the room as participating in the event and increasing the spawn of a low-to-mid spawn dungeon of their choosing.

:arrow: Configure calculations on area-spawn based on the number of players in the 'initial' area, flagging everyone and providing a bonus per player involved, once per reset

:arrow: Other ideas..?

I just threw around a few suggestions on how to make the dynamic spawn more rewarding. Thoughts and opinions?

Troukk

• Dark Power
Re: Dynamic Spawn: Suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:38:09 AM »
I love this idea.
Not all who wander are lost.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »
My personal opinion is that the current system work just fine for our need.

Though I still have a few question on your new way to handle dungeon spawning.

:arrow: When a group clear a dungeon, is it going to be empty for a certain amount of time until like we currently have?

:arrow: Are you still handling the fact that if the dungeon is cleared 10 time in a day, the spawn need to be lowered every time someone does it?

:arrow: Is the strength of enemy handled only with the number of people or also with their level?

What I like from the current dungeon system is that it prevent XP farming in many way.

:arrow: The first reason is that a high level can't enter the dungeon just to raise the spawn for a low level.

:arrow: Second is that you can't do the dungeon again right after clearing it, which I think is something great.

:arrow: Third, the fact that the spawn strength change if the dungeon is cleared many time prevent people from always going at the same place all the time only to make a lot of XP.

Honestly I don't it's a bad idea though if I had to chose between the current system and this new one I'd chose  the current one because I think it help to prevent XP farming in a way and also because I think the way the current system handle spawning is kind of realistic compared to the other one.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
My personal opinion is that the current system work just fine for our need.

Though I still have a few question on your new way to handle dungeon spawning.

:arrow: When a group clear a dungeon, is it going to be empty for a certain amount of time until like we currently have?

:arrow: Are you still handling the fact that if the dungeon is cleared 10 time in a day, the spawn need to be lowered every time someone does it?

:arrow: Is the strength of enemy handled only with the number of people or also with their level?

What I like from the current dungeon system is that it prevent XP farming in many way.

:arrow: The first reason is that a high level can't enter the dungeon just to raise the spawn for a low level.

:arrow: Second is that you can't do the dungeon again right after clearing it, which I think is something great.

:arrow: Third, the fact that the spawn strength change if the dungeon is cleared many time prevent people from always going at the same place all the time only to make a lot of XP.

Honestly I don't it's a bad idea though if I had to chose between the current system and this new one I'd chose  the current one because I think it help to prevent XP farming in a way and also because I think the way the current system handle spawning is kind of realistic compared to the other one.

1) I was think that the system would only be a -small- boost, per player participating, not making it full spawn instantly unless you literally tried to it with the entire server.

2) Its impossible for a dungeon to be cleared "10 times" in a day and be a reasonable spawn more than twice unless a DM was fiddling with things on the current system; and I have no idea what is meant by the second part.

3) I'd suggest only number of players, not level. The idea is to offer a security for -groups- who take the time to try and go on a dungeon, but everything might have been hit already. This would allow them to add a boost to a spawn, -once-, If 'high level' cashed their bonus on a low level dungeon for a low level, which mind you, I'm only considering be like 5% growth on a dungeon, that would be the difference of about 20-45mins of letting the dungeon sit.

4) See above.

5) The most I've seen travel in a group together regularly might have been 8 people, My suggestion isn't "each player gets to boost a dungeon to full" but more along the lines of, a group of people might be able to heighten the spawn rate, once, for one dungeon, per reset. If you go kill a dungeon and then try to spawn it back up with the bonus I'm suggesting, it would only be around 35-40% growth, and nothing like the same if it was full spawn.

6) People usually don't go to just the same place. They go to alot of places. This idea is attempting to give a security to people who want to try to dungeon in the times where things were already hit a few hours ago. I've had a number of occasions where i've tried to do dungeons with people; but all the places we attempt to look are hit. When you look at dungeoning on the server. After a certain point dungeons are hit in chains, on single. Harvest -> Anubis -> Oasis -> Trolls are often hit in the same sitting.  Skeletons -> Fane -> Vestibule -> Wererats -> Swamps(sometimes) are often done in the same sitting.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:56:24 PM »
2) Its impossible for a dungeon to be cleared "10 times" in a day and be a reasonable spawn more than twice unless a DM was fiddling with things on the current system; and I have no idea what is meant by the second part.

I know a dungeon can't be cleared 10 time in a day(lol).

What I meant i, does your system handle the fact that each time a dungeon gets cleared, will the next spawn in that dungeon be weaker??

Because I don't like the strength of a dungeon being based on the number of people or the strength of these people. It makes dungeon easier since the spawn are more adapted to the player who wants to clear it. It also makes it completely unrealistic from a RP view.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness