Author Topic: Your overall preferences for the development of POTM  (Read 36726 times)

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
Your overall preferences for the development of POTM
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »
Dear fellow Prisoners of the Mist,

As you know, the server is made through voluntary effort alone, and as such, our priorities will always ultimately be determined by where we find our passions and inspiration. Nonetheless, we still also want to provide content that gives you the best conditions for roleplay and overall experience - for that constitutes a major part of our passion for this project too.

So to make sure we are somewhat in sync on this, I've made this very generic poll to give us a clue on where the demand is greatest. It is not something we will consider ourselves obliged to follow, but we do want to know your thoughts on this, if nothing else then to inspire our future development, and to prevent we dedicate ourselves on things due to misunderstood needs.

If you feel any options are missing, feel free to post below and we'll consider whether to include them.

Thanks!

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
Re: Your overall preferences for the development of POTM
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Hmm, how about adding more MPC types or adding more features for MPCs to use?

Edit: Wow, 40 votes already. It's probably too late to add another option.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 10:31:42 AM by DM Ophis »

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 10:56:25 AM »
Hmm, how about adding more MPC types or adding more features for MPCs to use?

Edit: Wow, 40 votes already. It's probably too late to add another option.

Add it anyway, I think adding more MPC type would be nice   :mrgreen:
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
It really would. Were bat would be fun, so many that could be amazing, like Hag! Make a prerequisit that they must be a Halan who falls and becomes a hag.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:21:51 AM »
The idea of the poll is actually to have it on-going so that we add options as we go and people change their votes over time (perhaps we'll occasionally reset the poll though to clear out old votes).

Adding the MPC option!

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 11:29:42 AM »
Lich would be a fantastic MPC addition.
Not all who wander are lost.

TornFear

• Crit-Magnet
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 11:32:07 AM »
Been itching for vassalich for aaaages!  Give me monsters or give me death!

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »
Would prefer more custom content, given that alot of it is easily and already available on thanks to the nwn community. The past updates have only ever really added a few small options here and there. Leaving alot of the content to feel very dated. If help is needed i recently learned how to resize things, so i could help with resizing head options to allow a much diverse selection across all races. From existing heads as well as new heads. Can do so with some other body parts as well, i know there are some monstrous hands out there that i could play with some as well for the Caliban chars?

May be nice for the calibans as well to have actual normalish looking heads, specially for the Orc pheno who are supposed to be humanish in appearence still.

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 12:18:55 PM »

This has been discussed to death by us, trust me. The Lich template, while awesome, is simply too powerful to be implemented without individual power leaning toward the absurd.

Conversely, limiting the power of the template would be a great disservice to the Lich. They're better left to NPC status. That said, if you're looking for Liches.. there's plenty in Sithicus.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »
I personally look forward to more crafts. while I am not the biggest fan on crafting since i have done all of them... More could always be done to improve or add to it. Like i would enjoy seeing a jewel crafting system ( grant it now that i think about it there are to many things that could go wrong with it.) So i'll stick with my simple request of just expanding what all is there.. 

SMithing: There is a forge for Cold forging... I want to be able to use that!... I would love to see actual use for platnium other then just dead weight to sell to the warehouse in Valiki.. ( I mean... why is he buying them what possible use does Valiki have for platnium!?!) I mean you could smelt it down and coat armor/weapon with it to make them immune to corrosion but adds more weight to the armor/weapon ( just using imagination on this) And if you wish to limit that you could make it so only say Dwarven folk are the only ones able to do such, making a dwarven smith Valueable.

Tailoring: The possibility of making your own cloak  would be cool as well, or hood.

making more things enchantable or updating the enchanting system. People already know Silver guilded weapons are relativly pointless to enchant since all it does is increase cost with basically the same as normal steel.  Grant it i'm half curious to see what other metals do enchanted. ( * debats digging out old toon*)

and there are some creatures that don't even drop skins or hides that could be useful like basalisk and gorgons.  those fire salamanders and fire snakes. Bristle backs only give medium leather which makes no sense for what kind of creature it is.

Just my thoughts on things that could be added to crafting

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »
I don't think it really falls into RP/Non-Combat Areas, but I would love to see a few wilderness areas added to Barovia to link the northern shore of Lake Zarovich to the road to VoB, and maybe some way to get into the Svalich Woods or the areas beyond VoB without going through it would be great as well.

NWN_lovableweremink

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 04:16:18 PM »
I voted 1st for crafting- jewelry, cloaks, belts, gloves, gauntlets. Please add these! Also, cold steel, copper gilding- because some fey are just asking for it- also remove the redundancy in many of the leather-abilities.

2nd, for more dungeons, I wish that there had been more specific choices, I vote for more dungeons for the level 8-15 range. Perhaps a basement in the new manors of Port, Hazlan could do with atleast another 4 or 5 new dungeons.

3rd. I voted for the upgrade to all existing dungeons. Herbs nodes being the most important part of that. As I have posted in another thread, the first 3 levels of the Morninglord crypts in the outskirts contains up to 30 nodes at full spawn. All other crypts contain 4-10 nodes for the entire dungeon. Second, can the min spawn setting please be bumped up- there are times at low spawn rates the things inside give no XP for the level appropriate character that goes through it.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
If i could vote a fourth i would also vote for more MPC races.. there are more out there and they can be fun to play. ( not asking for anything OP like a lich) but who wouldn't want to play as a hag or a darkling? or um.. ( * tries to think of something monstorus* Ogre maybe?

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

NWN_lovableweremink

• Outlander
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 05:02:36 PM »
Just a heads up for those that do not build in NWN, adding clothing, heads and the like is done with a hak- it is a very easy thing to do, because you add the hak, and it is in. With the current adjust the look of clothing rest menu system- any new clothing will show up with it. The same for heads, although it will only be the head changers where this is done. Voting for this option is a cop out- most of the content is out there now, and once added (a 3 minute process) is in game. The point is, additional hak content is easy to add, take very little time, and doesn't really qualify as development. Also most of the existing non CEP clothing haks are already CEP friendly- meaning there is little change that needs to happen to the hak itself.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2015, 05:12:39 PM »
Just a heads up for those that do not build in NWN, adding clothing, heads and the like is done with a hak- it is a very easy thing to do, because you add the hak, and it is in. With the current adjust the look of clothing rest menu system- any new clothing will show up with it. The same for heads, although it will only be the head changers where this is done. Voting for this option is a cop out- most of the content is out there now, and once added (a 3 minute process) is in game. The point is, additional hak content is easy to add, take very little time, and doesn't really qualify as development. Also most of the existing non CEP clothing haks are already CEP friendly- meaning there is little change that needs to happen to the hak itself.

Actually it's not quite that forward as by now we often have to rename things, not to mention test the actual quality in game. But it's definitely something we are hoping to add more of soon (have a hak update coming up over the summer, hopefully).

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2015, 06:21:05 PM »
If i could vote a fourth i would also vote for more MPC races.. there are more out there and they can be fun to play. ( not asking for anything OP like a lich) but who wouldn't want to play as a hag or a darkling? or um.. ( * tries to think of something monstorus* Ogre maybe?

Yeah, personally I'd like to see more MPC types that would work well with evil casters. I'd love some sort of skeletal undead, I've always been partial to them.

I've been trying to think of a way to do monstrous characters other than undead or lycanthropes. One thing that might be cool is some sort of demon/devil or draconic thing available to tieflings and RDDs who make evil pacts to bring out the monster in their blood.

Edit: Oh cool, it was added as an option! Thanks Soren, changed my votes around a bit. Wheeeee.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:26:14 PM by DM Ophis »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »
Would be nice to get the heads iv been using as a overide in finally, so i can stop having to override and try to get people to download such :3

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 06:47:36 PM »
Would be nice to get the heads iv been using as a overide in finally, so i can stop having to override and try to get people to download such :3

this. Because I like it when we can all see the same thing.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 06:59:21 PM »

This has been discussed to death by us, trust me. The Lich template, while awesome, is simply too powerful to be implemented without individual power leaning toward the absurd.

Conversely, limiting the power of the template would be a great disservice to the Lich. They're better left to NPC status. That said, if you're looking for Liches.. there's plenty in Sithicus.

Why not do some sort of lesser lich for the sake of gameplay? A caster who isn't quite powerful enough to give themself the full capacity of powers, but, managed to store their soul in a phylactery? As a monster they could be about trying to find knowledge and pushing their transformation. It would fit in with the setting because the failure in becoming a full lich would become drive to keep being evil, a person's own desires becomes their damnation.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 07:14:32 PM »

this. Because I like it when we can all see the same thing.

Same, i dislike needing to use such. But the one head i suggested foreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever ago had the approval of the maker for it to be used here but it never got added :( Pushed for it hard to :( Was a really nice elf option.

Also i like Ophis suggestion. Instead of being insta completed lich its more about their start and them gathering the knowledge and power to become a full lich.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 07:24:11 PM »
if there was to be a monster, I would adore being able to play a hag or a fey like monster :D

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 07:31:27 PM »
My new monster of choice would totally be a Hag though, given there nature they are uniquely qualified for the setting :o! And would give followers of Hala to activly fight againt in a more dynamic way.

Also wouldn't mind Hag spawn becoming a racial option as well :o

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 08:11:11 PM »

Why not do some sort of lesser lich for the sake of gameplay? A caster who isn't quite powerful enough to give themself the full capacity of powers, but, managed to store their soul in a phylactery? As a monster they could be about trying to find knowledge and pushing their transformation. It would fit in with the setting because the failure in becoming a full lich would become drive to keep being evil, a person's own desires becomes their damnation.

I like how you're thinking! And don't need to make becoming a full lich impossible, just make it unplayable as a PC. Much like becoming Darklord, the PC would become an NPC the DM team can have fun with.
Not all who wander are lost.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2015, 08:25:58 PM »
I would love to see a way to move a subdued individual, much like picking up a corpse.  This way players wouldn't have to resort to killing in order to kidnap another character.

I imagine there would need to be a save made every now and then for regaining consciousness where upon the body would be dropped and the fallen character given the opportunity to return.  I'm not sure if this is something possible to script.

Jalthex

• Captain Hiatus
  • Undead Master
  • You make me touch your hands for stupid reasons!
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2015, 08:42:49 PM »
I would love to see a way to move a subdued individual, much like picking up a corpse.  This way players wouldn't have to resort to killing in order to kidnap another character.

I imagine there would need to be a save made every now and then for regaining consciousness where upon the body would be dropped and the fallen character given the opportunity to return.  I'm not sure if this is something possible to script.

This idea is my favorite that has been brought up here because it could give so much empowerment to this kind of roleplay.