You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: New Spell Idea  (Read 6979 times)

noah25

• Dark Lord
New Spell Idea
« on: May 30, 2015, 10:26:15 PM »
A couple of disclaimers about this, first of all this may not be possible as far as mechanics I am not a computer person so if a spell cant be added into the server completely ignore everything that follows. Also, the intention of the spell im advocating I think would be a fun tool for rp, not something I envision being made into some OP spell.
Anyways, with how much lore there was in the time period the server was set about wizards of the woods turning people into toads, it seems like this would be especially prevalent in barovia. Playing an evil druid, Ive always thought it would lead to a lot of fun RP if there was a polymorph other spell. My intention is not for it to do anything to high level characters and be an easy way to kill them (thats what finger of death and destruction are for :) ) but instead an RP mechanism that could be used. Obviously the duration wouldnt be pernament, although honestly I think it would be really unique if someone role played their character being stuck as a toad until they managed to take the necessary measures to reverse the effects. The forms I would recommend would include, Deer, Rat, Toad, and if any of the developers thought another form was fitting than by all means add to the diversity of the role play. I would recommend that the spell has a low spell resistance check, and gives a fortitude check as well to prevent it from being horribly abused to gain an edge in combat, and also to make it clear what the purpose of the spell is. At least what I envision is you have a hunter who has grievous acts against nature, or someone who horribly distorts the balance that it is your druids role to keep, I think this could be a really interesting roleplay tool to lead to characters on the server evolving their roleplay due to a unique experience, and or them deciding to seek vengeance on the druid who did this to them. Let me know your thoughts even if you think my idea is terrible, I am curious. :)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: New Spell Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:16:21 AM »
You could make it like some of the other spells, that it just does not effect anyone above a certain hit dice / level or something.

It sounds like an interesting spell, but I think the question is more whether the staff wants to implement any form of custom or non-canon spells. And I do not think they do.
Even if they are not against the addition of custom spells (which would surprise me), creating a custom spell like this is probably not that easy and must require a lot of work.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 10:36:55 AM »
Whether it is a good idea or not depends on how it is implemented, but the difficulty/possibility of doing it was something that interested me, so I googled.

This link indicates that some developer has done at least some of the work that would be necessary:

http://neverwintervault.org/forums/community-forums-community-patch-project/cpp-announcements/patch-172-beta-development

"improved polymorphing others support - the new polymorph supports custom content abilities that polymorph others (such as Baleful Polymorph spell). This has been improved with extended immunity check and a possibility to cancel such polymorph for a shapeganger/shifter creatures or player characters."
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 10:51:39 PM »
There is a standard NWN item called the "Rod of Wonder" (X0_S3_Rodwonder), one of the random effects of which is to polymorph the target into a chicken.  I suppose it might be possible to adapt this into a spell of some sort, but I imagine the scripting would be a challenge.  I should note that DM's already have the ability to polymorph a target they are particularly annoyed with (I usually got tormented as a penguin on one of my old servers).

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 11:19:36 PM »
You could make it like some of the other spells, that it just does not effect anyone above a certain hit dice / level or something.

It sounds like an interesting spell, but I think the question is more whether the staff wants to implement any form of custom or non-canon spells. And I do not think they do.
Even if they are not against the addition of custom spells (which would surprise me), creating a custom spell like this is probably not that easy and must require a lot of work.

adding new spells basically means you have to add an icon in the hakpaks, tlk-edit some things, edit some 2da's to include the spell, and then actually script the spell.. Its perfectly feesible if someone was willing to do the work and such. Theres prebuild things on the internet that have added virtually every DND spell

Alithym

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 11:29:15 PM »
Yeah, its absolutely possible. Had a friend that scripted for our weekly game in Nwn, and he actually created custom cantrips and some druid spells like rust. Which would rust a metal door, or metal armor like a rust monster :D

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 12:57:32 AM »
(I usually got tormented as a penguin on one of my old servers).

Yeah... the DMFI tool package give the DM an option to turn anything into a penguin (even himself)  lol
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 01:14:15 AM »
Baleful Polymorph

Spell Level: Druid 5; Wizard / Sorcerer 5
Innate Level: 5
School: Transmutation
Descriptor:
Component: Verbal, Somatic
Range: Short
Area of Effect / Target: Single
Duration: Permanent
Save: Fortitude Negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

You cause your target to take on the form of a helpless animal. The target takes on all the physical statistics and special abilities of an average member of the new form. The target also retains the ability to understand (but not to speak) the languages it understood in its original form. It can write in the languages it understands, but only if the form is capable of writing in some manner (such as drawing in the dirt with a hoof). If the target remains in the new form for 24 consecutive hours, it will begin to lose its ability to understand language, as well as all other memories of its previous form, though these abilities and statistics return to normal if the effect is later ended.

Baleful Polymorph can be ended by Remove Curse or Greater Restoration.

Baleful Polymorph
  • Toad
  • Chicken
  • Mink
  • Piglet
  • Tortoise

Icons by RedwizardD.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
That is Perment? so therotically a high level wizard can turn all the server into animals permentaly? or at least a good portion to be annoying

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 12:15:37 PM »
"Permanent" doesn't span resets, so at worst as long as flesh to stone.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 12:21:40 PM »
Omg, that sounds amazingly fun :D!

Would love to see a high level druid just running about tossing the spell around and hitting high level things like balors and so on and leaving them to cross around as a tortoise. :D

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 12:23:38 PM »
OMG I would forever love my druid even more with that XD  so many frogs and pigletts... a good RPer might ask the druid to be returned into said creature if a reset or crashed happened if they never got it fixed.

but yeah.. flesh to stone, feeble mind, and this spell aren't permanent.. just last for a rather long time.

XD turn people into a tortise and them move as if under the effect of slow XD

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 12:42:47 PM »
OMG I would forever love my druid even more with that XD  so many frogs and pigletts... a good RPer might ask the druid to be returned into said creature if a reset or crashed happened if they never got it fixed.

but yeah.. flesh to stone, feeble mind, and this spell aren't permanent.. just last for a rather long time.

Mwahahah :P

Lawls, id be so driven to make a druid char just for that spell/ability to do that :P The spell is totally evil without actually being evil :P

What would be even more evil! Turn people into animals and then serve them to their friends and then tell them after >: D

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »

Mwahahah :P

Lawls, id be so driven to make a druid char just for that spell/ability to do that :P The spell is totally evil without actually being evil :P

What would be even more evil! Turn people into animals and then serve them to their friends and then tell them after >: D

cursing someone like that is not nessesarly -evil- a druid might do it to teach someone a leason that has wronged them.  how ever only 2 of those things people eat.. and yes that is very twisted... ( I did that in a diffrent group...well kinda.. was in the woods and some wolves attacked me and i killed them as a ranger came and fought me for killing the wolves... beat them up and left them only to carry a wolf back to the village tavern and had it served to everyone that entered....needless ot say, guess who walked in and had a few bites before processing it all.)

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2015, 04:27:49 PM »
[Bathmorda] Your all pigs! [waves hand] 8)

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 05:24:57 PM »
The fun someone could have with this spell would be amazing :P

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2015, 12:12:09 AM »
I would be very excited about this spell (obviously given my prior post) but even playing a druid I think this spell imparticularly would need to have some PVP stipulations on it. The purpose is fun RP, not yes Barovia burn because you are all now frogs! ;P

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2015, 12:18:09 AM »
This was already made a while ago, so don't think I just threw this together because of this thread, lol. I will post a really dumpy video as soon as YouTube finishes processing it.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2015, 12:25:06 AM »
Okay, turning a man into a tortoise, and then a fire seed bonus.

[youtube=425,350]X5LzYT0gkyM[/youtube]

I hope this satisfies curiosities for now.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2015, 05:28:39 PM »
[shakes his head at the druid in metal armor] ;)

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 05:48:22 PM »
The armor was gluten-free.

dark_majico

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 02:59:15 PM »
Okay, turning a man into a tortoise, and then a fire seed bonus.

[youtube=425,350]X5LzYT0gkyM[/youtube]

I hope this satisfies curiosities for now.

Yes yes yes YES YES YEEEEEEEEEEES.  :fonzie:

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 03:09:12 PM »
I will turn someone into a toad .. and then cook him in a pot. num num ..( Idea from Baba Yaga Hero Quest 1 ) now all i need is a chicken hut that fly.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 04:44:02 PM »
From the above description/discussion, Baleful Polymorph is permanent but permanent spells don't actually last across server resets. Syl mentioned that a "good RPer," however, might voluntarily be put back under the spell.

Question: Would that be permissible? In other words, if a PC agreed that the permanent effect was still ongoing despite a crash/reset, would that be allowed? How should it be handled in game? For example, contact a DM to apply the spell effect while the PC is still in the OOC area?
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 08:44:17 PM »
Ask the player to do it again?