You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Star Elves  (Read 3138 times)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
Star Elves
« on: May 25, 2015, 03:00:28 PM »
I'm curious about the stats of star elves on the server. I made one, assuming they were based off these stats

Spoiler: show
Elf, Star (Mithral Elves)
Source: Unapproachable East
In the darkest depths of the ancient and mysterious Yuirwood lies a secret long forgotten by people beyond the borders of the isolated Aglarond and known by very few even within. The secret of the entryways into a massive hidden city of elves long forgotten by the world and hidden away in a realm beyond faerun itself. It was and still is a refuge of elves named Sildeyuir where the forgotten elves have remained hidden for thousands of years away from their ancient ruins and forgotten, powerful, and ancient magics of the Yuirwood.
They have kept themselves apart from Faerun for millenia, but their isolation is coming to an end. Although their realm has remained apart from Faerun for all this time, they have recently been beseiged by an insidious power from well beyond the circles of the world and face the possibility of being driven out of their extraplanar home altogether.

+2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution: Star elves are graceful but frail.
    Medium Star Elves receive neither bonus nor penalty due to their size.
    Lowlight Vision Star Elves can see twice as far as humans in conditions of dim light.
    Elven Immunities Star Elves are immune to magic sleep effects and receive a +2 to will saves against enchantment spells and effects.
    Extraplanar Star Elves are not native to the material plane and thus gain the extraplanar subtype when on the material plane. They are thus subject to spells and effects that affect extraplanar creatures. Their home plane is that of Sildeyuir.
    Hated Extraplanar Foes Star Elves receive a +1 bonus to all attack rolls and saving throw DCs of spells that can banish extraplanar creatures against outsiders and creatures of the incorporeal subtype.
    Keen Senses Star Elves receive a +2 to all Perception checks.
    Otherworldly Grace Star Elves can add their charisma modifier to their armor class against incorporeal touch attacks. This bonus is considered to be a deflection bonus (minimum +0). As a swift action, a star elf can also confer magical energy to any melee attack, allowing the attack to be considered a magical weapon for the purposes of damaging an incorporeal creature. The star elf adds his or her charisma modifier to any damage done to an incorporeal creature using this ability.
    Perfect Pitch Star Elves have a highly keen sense of sound and music and gain a +2 racial bonus to perform (keyboard instruments), perform (percussion instruments), perform (string instruments), perform (wind instruments), and perform (sing).
    Star Elf Magic Star Elves receive a +2 racial bonus on all caster level checks to overcome spell resistance and a +1 to the saving throw DCs of spells and abilities with the language and/or sonic descripter as well as bardic musical effects when using perform (keyboard instruments), perform (percussion instruments), perform (string instruments), perform (wind instruments), or perform (sing).

That said, I took the subrace on a new elf PC, and instead of those stat adjustsments, it looks like I got -2 Dex, -2 Wis, +2 cha

Halp?

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Star Elves
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:08:24 PM »
Hm, not entirely sure why that is based on the source you provided

I'd assume that here star elves don't get the +2 to dex, so they lose the default +2 that elves get on nwn (which is based on the moon elf template I believe). Not sure about wis but I'd assume the same goes for that, or that they get a -2 to wis in addition to the +2 to cha
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 04:28:22 PM »
Odd that you get -2 Wis. In Unapproachable East, page 10, here are the stats listed for a Star Elf:

+2 Charisma, –2 Constitution: Star elves are graceful but frail.

Regular elves (high elves) in NwN have:
Elven ability adjustments: +2 Dex, -2 Con

So, to turn a regular elf into a star elf in NwN, you need to apply the following changes:
+2 Cha
-2 Dex (since Star Elves don't have the high elves' +2 Dex)

I've no idea where the -2 Wis came from; I checked the scripts and it's not there. Maybe a glitch?

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:22:50 PM »
just made one to check cause I couldn't recall there being a wis penalty. Didn't get one myself-rolled with 16 wis and kept 16 wis after setting subrace
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:03:58 PM »
My initial dex, as an elf, in the character creation was 17 from being an elf. As soon as the star elf subtype was applied, my dex dropped to 15. My con didn't go anywhere, my 10 base wis went to 8, and my charisma increased by 2 as expected.

Alithym

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:59:40 PM »
I've had Rua'Ithar for over 6 years, so I can't recall the stat adjustments when I created her, but I know my Wisdom was never affected, cause I put it at 10, and it's still at 10 :D It has to be some kind of a glitch I imagine.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 09:08:42 PM »
Yeah I talked with Corvus briefly in game and said others didn't have an issue. But I kept my wis at a base 10 and suddenly had a -8, so I was a little confused.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 09:14:38 PM »
Actually, don't mean to double post, but if this is the result of a potential bug, wouldn't an easy fix be for a DM to spawn the Star Elf skin and have me equip it?

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 05:55:33 PM »
Gunna bump this, just because I'd like to play the character sometime soon.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 06:56:50 AM »
Still hoping for some sort of solution to this.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 07:11:17 AM »
Well you can get a DM to reset your background/subrace selection, and that should fix it.