You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Ambient Life Creature/NPC AI  (Read 1728 times)

NWN_lovableweremink

• Outlander
Ambient Life Creature/NPC AI
« on: May 13, 2015, 09:40:35 AM »
I've been debating on whether to post this, or if my annoyance with certain aspects of the mechanics was just me.. However, I can't keep quiet anymore.

The AI that the deer, mink, various birds, and some NPC (like the idiot Vistani man near the merchant vardo at mist camp) use needs to be adjusted.  The issue- whenever my PC (and I assume that any PC triggers it) comes into perception range of the creature, the creature makes a B-line strait to the PC's path to block the PC. Birds, deer minks- practically run to the path and try to trip my PC. Resulting in the complete stop of my PC. They do this even when my PC is invisible. It's annoying it's immersion breaking- when invisible. The Idiot Vistani seems only capable of walking to the doorway of the merchant vardo denying access to it. The only way to get past him is to use the @seatme command to "jump" to the top of the vardo stairs. That is cheating- but I don't have time to stand there waiting for him to move. This is a game. Please fix this so the AI, on perceive moves the creature away from the PC, not at it.

On a related note, the new tweek to the AI that make certain things "stare" at you doesn't add much but another message in the window. They do this to druids and rangers, which seems silly, they spam it at you then attack- which for the higher leveled characters seems weird- they should flee

Over all, most of the AI seems to be on perception fired, rather than on spawn- Birds, deer, minks, seem to stay in one spot untill they "see" the pc, then they move. why not just add a random walk line to the on spawn of these creatures? then they will spawn in and begin moving randomly -a bit more realistic- than the current way.

Thanks for reading

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
Re: Ambient Life Creature/NPC AI
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »
You are druid, animals flock toward you with the intention of starting a Disney song. As for other characters, non-druid/non-ranger, the animals pretty much ran away from.

NWN_lovableweremink

• Outlander
Re: Ambient Life Creature/NPC AI
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
Isi is a wizard, not a druid..