Author Topic: New Crafting Hall in Vallaki Feedback  (Read 6145 times)

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
New Crafting Hall in Vallaki Feedback
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:28:20 AM »
I both love and hate this.

Let me start out on a positive note.

It's very convenient to have all of these places in a one stop shop.  From a gameplay perspective, it streamlines the crafting system by allowing you to do everything under one roof, and also combines several seldom used areas, which reduces lag, and lets the dev team reallocate the resources reserved for those three areas.

Here's what I dislike about it.

I'm immersed enough in the server that I believe those guys own those houses that their shops were in.  The warehouse district made Vallaki feel alive in that it had all these characters who owned their own stores, and your average player interacted with the warehouse district far more often than any of the other districts.  I also dislike the name "Crafting Hall" as it feels a little out of character.  I would reccommend a fancier name like "Artisan's Guild" or perhaps something referencing one of the ingame organizations.  It just really feels unnatural for me from an in character standpoint for these guys to huddle up in the same building when they used to have their own shops.

Reccommended Changes I'd like to see:

1.  Keeping in mind that I really like the convenience, I'd also like to see the herbalists who are currently living on the Burgomaster's private hunting grounds moved into this building.  Change their dialogue slightly to let older players know why they had to move here (The Burgomaster's men forced us out and seized our home to make barracks for the Wardens who watch the game preserve!  etc. etc.)

2.  Rename the Crafting Hall to "Artisan's Guild" or possibly something to do with in game events. 

3.  Alter the dialogue of the crafting NPC's to explain why they all decided to move, or were forced to move. 

4.  Have a shopkeep there who sells Beeswax and Charcoal.  It would not be unreasonable for someone to bring Bervis and the Colier's  goods to market for them.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through this. 

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
Re: New Crafting Hall in Vallaki Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
I would not like the herbalist relocation. The current spot seems much more in character than inside the grimy city that is Vallaki. Also, she already provides everything necessary for the craft (other than the herbs themselves), so it doesn't make as much sense for her to be centralized (you would actually take her farther away from the herbs).

In any case, this suggestion seems to conflict with the criticism that the new hall is immersion-breaking. The more the hall becomes a "crafting strip mall," the less it feels natural.

I like to think of her and her beau as beach-dwelling hippies. Don't make them give up their loveshack!
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Geiger

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »
I don't think she would be there in the city because the lore behind the reason she is there has to do with her foreign background + LOL A WITCH.

dark_majico

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 02:39:06 PM »
I both love and hate this.

Let me start out on a positive note.

It's very convenient to have all of these places in a one stop shop.  From a gameplay perspective, it streamlines the crafting system by allowing you to do everything under one roof, and also combines several seldom used areas, which reduces lag, and lets the dev team reallocate the resources reserved for those three areas.

Here's what I dislike about it.

I'm immersed enough in the server that I believe those guys own those houses that their shops were in.  The warehouse district made Vallaki feel alive in that it had all these characters who owned their own stores, and your average player interacted with the warehouse district far more often than any of the other districts.  I also dislike the name "Crafting Hall" as it feels a little out of character.  I would reccommend a fancier name like "Artisan's Guild" or perhaps something referencing one of the ingame organizations.  It just really feels unnatural for me from an in character standpoint for these guys to huddle up in the same building when they used to have their own shops.

Reccommended Changes I'd like to see:

1.  Keeping in mind that I really like the convenience, I'd also like to see the herbalists who are currently living on the Burgomaster's private hunting grounds moved into this building.  Change their dialogue slightly to let older players know why they had to move here (The Burgomaster's men forced us out and seized our home to make barracks for the Wardens who watch the game preserve!  etc. etc.)

2.  Rename the Crafting Hall to "Artisan's Guild" or possibly something to do with in game events.  

3.  Alter the dialogue of the crafting NPC's to explain why they all decided to move, or were forced to move.  

4.  Have a shopkeep there who sells Beeswax and Charcoal.  It would not be unreasonable for someone to bring Bervis and the Colier's  goods to market for them.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read through this.  

I'm with Ternce I loathe the idea of all the crafts being under one roof, it just doesn't seem like it's in an in character thing to do. It seems like a modern metropolitan idea of convenience and efficiency. I want backwards medi evil thinking in ravenloft that adds character to the world. I also don't want too see the place look like a circus like the outskirts looks like when everyone hangs around talking about the weather and buying herbs. Please burn the place down and set up the crafters in their own little niches and corners of the town/world.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 02:49:45 PM by dark_majico »

Alithym

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 03:59:07 PM »
I rather like the idea of the crafting stations together like that, at least in a town like Vallaki. It offers an opportunity for crafters to meet one another, and possibly work together in providing one another items to each other that are needed to create their final products, rather than being jacks of all trades. But, that's just my opinion :D

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 04:04:04 PM »
I rather like the idea of the crafting stations together like that, at least in a town like Vallaki. It offers an opportunity for crafters to meet one another, and possibly work together in providing one another items to each other that are needed to create their final products, rather than being jacks of all trades. But, that's just my opinion :D

That's why they were merged. :)

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 04:30:55 PM »
* feels like crafting hall is more dwarven*

But anyways the fact that the crafting places were seperated made more sense because well.. they OWNED those bulidings... having so many forges and woodworking stations in one place its a bit much because well.... last thing we need is a place where you will most likely hear/see... ( John doe has placed and item into [Insert object here]) 30xs..  ruins the chance to talk because if it is someone your not talking with they are now making it harder for you to talk with somone your with while your crafting as well...

Also if folks are really looking for other crafters post notices... seek them out.. I've ran into four to five people in peeves?... The wood working shop... and two in leather working a few in smithing... and also alchemy.

The point is not all crafters are to be "Well known" if you need one for assistance then again go out and find them.. ask around... leave messages.. Why place all the crafting stations in one place just to make it so crafters now can only go to one place in Valiki? A smelter probably wouldn't enjoy the smell of hide curing... or leather being boiled... and the smoke and heat from the fires at the forge might be to hot and ruin the hides someone is trying to cure.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Alithym

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
First, no barovian "owns" a building. The are rented/leased at best, and pay taxes for their uses. The Count owns everything in Barovia. Barovians are citizens who pay taxes and work to afford those taxes and to put a roof over their home. Even in a medieval setting, a Smith/Carpenter doesn't live IN their workshop, it's usually a workshop off the house, or in town.

Secondly, not everyone wants to search the forums or make posts on the forums looking for a crafter to provide arrowheads, leather, ect. Sometimes it's nicer to be able to head to work, and run into Mister Blacksmith who is hammering a sword and say "Ah, Mister Blacksmith, if you've time, do you think you could fill an order of arrowheads for me?" and it generates RP that doesn't require Forum notices all over the place, especially when they aren't stickied and get buried when new posts are made.

That being said. If its the text spam that is the issue, the Devs could always work on making them whispered mode OR remove them like they did for the Vistani Captain when opening the conversation in the Mist Camp now. I remember when people would spam him when waiting  for the caravan to return/be available and it was bad. So, I'm sure that's an easy enough fix so it doesn't bother/disrupt the actual RP.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:58:31 PM by Alithym »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 04:57:00 PM »
Still.. wheres the hunt for IG? i've seen people ask before where can they buy good arrows and they are given a name and they seek them out. [shrugs] I just don't really see a craft hall as benificial..

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 05:05:13 PM »
Just to be clear i'm not upset i'm indiferent about it... while i am seeming more against it i liked the old individual buildings used instead of 1 big building for a crafting hall. but again... thinking about the heat needed and noise that comes from smelting and making armor and weapons.... I feel like that would kill the mood and make everone in there thirsty lol

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »
having so many forges and woodworking stations in one place its a bit much because well.... last thing we need is a place where you will most likely hear/see... ( John doe has placed and item into [Insert object here]) 30xs..  ruins the chance to talk because if it is someone your not talking with they are now making it harder for you to talk with somone your with while your crafting as well...

This, has always been a issue with crafting and i hate it so much >..< Makes rping or trying to keep up with tells nearly impossible. . Which is horrible because crafting can eat alot of time. . .:(

dark_majico

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »
After some time thinking about it I've changed my mind on the crafting hall, the only thing I don't like about it anymore is the name, it sounds like a guild or something out of WoW, I don't think it needs a name per say. I think the current mix of tannery, wood working, and smithing works, but really would hate to see any more crafts being added even to the upper floor. I think adding in anything else is going to make it look cheesy and OOC. Strictly speaking the tannery probably should be in it's own building since its a stench ridden trade though.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 06:47:30 PM »
I rather like the new appearance if it has spam issues. I like how gritty it feels, like its just chalk fully of sweaty men slaving away at their trade all day long. Its smallish size makes it feel a little more bustling as well. Wouldn't mind seeing some laborers as well in there that move around to make it feel really alive.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:50:11 PM by Miuo »

Siege Spectre

• New to the Mists
  • The devil lies in the details.
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »
I don't see any feasibility in someone setting an active smithy, furnace, and smelter in the same building as a loom, carpenter, etc.  To many fire hazards.  Also its to much convenience, and feels like a MMO convention instead of realistic.  I liked all the seperate buildings.  It made the city feel more alive.

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 05:38:41 PM »

I've just recently began using the new area, and I do like it, primarily for the potential of serving as a hub for crafters. 

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 06:16:23 PM »
I do like the idea of crafters actually having the opportunity to interact with other crafters. As neat as it is to have different buildings used for crafting, It's even more awesome to potentially have RP. And when you're crafting, it's sometimes in sacrifice of RP.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 06:36:59 PM »
So we now need to combine the crafts in dementlieu?

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 09:07:51 PM »
do we?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
do we?
of course, it makes it easier to do all this rp. and crafting together right?

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 10:14:58 AM »
I think it's good. There might be some suspension of disbelief involved in having all the crafts located in one building, but it opens up to more player interaction that's been my #1 beef with crafting, such a lonely time!

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 01:18:16 AM »

I've just recently began using the new area, and I do like it, primarily for the potential of serving as a hub for crafters. 

Yes it is not bad in that regard that you can run into more folks there, also you dont need to run from one place to another to make a batch of arrows.:)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

SanneJ

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »
Maybe it is a idea to make it possible to buy more than one material at a time. for instance when you have 35 skins you need to click 70 times to buy enough tannin, it is just a hassle.   
Merrum Twind: Sticking his nose where it doesn't belong for the greater good!
Ragnhild “the Snarling” Snarrigson: (aspirant) Shield of Dvergehiem.