Author Topic: Half-Vistani Caliban  (Read 7359 times)

Deceptive Deference

• New to the Mists
  • I don't RP. I grind. Hard.
Half-Vistani Caliban
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:51 AM »
Wasn't sure if this would technically belong under Ravenloft discussion or not, but since this is more relevant to roleplay within the server and the server's fundamental... vibe... I decided to post here, after a lazy search to see if this question had been asked previously.

TWO PART QUESTION:

1.) Can a caliban be born of a Vistana?

2.) If said caliban were born of a Vistana, would it experience the Lunacy?

There, that's my question.
Duty's Dark Deeds, Lavish Lygophile, Rebellious Relapse

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Half-Vistani Caliban
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 12:55:11 AM »
I would assume it's possible, but there's not a way to pick both half-vistani and caliban as they're both different subraces. Half-Vistani being a subrace for human and caliban being a subrace for half-orc. Since you can't pick a half-vistani caliban from the templates I don't think you'd be allowed to play one. That's just my thoughts on it, probably someone out there that can give you a more definitive answer
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Deceptive Deference

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 12:57:51 AM »
I'm not overly concerned with the mechanics or bonuses of the certain subraces, just on the roleplay aspect. I don't want to roleplay lunacy on a caliban who has Vistani blood if such an occurence isn't possible. As for the other perk (knowing Patterna), I've already assumed that such a thing wouldn't be gifted to a silly little wombfreak. :P

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 04:40:30 AM »
Well, it's less about whether or not you're okay with having the bonuses that each subrace gives and more that you're only allowed to play supported subraces, as far as I know.

Both subraces are individually allowed, but you can't pick a subrace that is both, so I don't think that it's supported-whether it's possible in lore for a half-vistani to be born a caliban or not is irrelevant.

I also can't give you a straight answer about lunatio. Since the giomorgo or however you spell it don't suffer from it but the giomoto do I'm not certain where a caliban half-vistani would fall in that spectrum. I'd assume that it would, if it were a half human and half vistani caliban.

Sorry but most of what I'm telling you is just my interpretation of what I know. I think one of the devs or a member of the CC could give you a better answer. Sorry I can't be more help!
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 05:20:09 AM »
I don't think that it's supported-whether it's possible in lore for a half-vistani to be born a caliban or not is irrelevant.

Even if you can't play a Caliban Half-Vistani PC, it'd be interesting to see a PC with a family member or some kind of background/history character in their story who is a Caliban Half-Vistani - 'course, that wouldn't fly if, lore-wise, Half-Vistani Caliban could not occur, but maybe the team/loremasters will answer that question.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 05:32:25 AM »
I don't think that it's supported-whether it's possible in lore for a half-vistani to be born a caliban or not is irrelevant.

That is true, but mechanics aside I am also unsure whether it is possible to be born both half-Vistani and caliban as I have never heard of one. For the sake of the arguement let us assume it is.

The Lunatio or Moon Madness occurs when someone is only a half-blood Vistani. Caliban are mostly just deformed humans, they're not truly an entirely different race or anything, so whether you are a human or a human caliban would probably not make a difference in this case as long as half the blood in your veins is Vistani blood. However, if your caliban is less than a half-blood Vistana (like a quarter or 1/8th Vistana) you would not be affected by boons and curses of being a half-Vistani regardless.
Most caliban are also pretty unlikely to end up forming families of their own, so this character would most likely have to be a brother, sister, cousin or child in relationship to your character then.

That is as much as I can tell you on the matter, mostly using common sense. This is probably largely unexplored territory, the question is more whether a half-Vistana caliban is possible at all.
I am actually not even sure if half-elf calibans or any other combination of half-blood calibans exist either, so I would suggest trying to find some canon information or a DM ruling on that first.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:40:36 AM by Feronius »

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 09:01:11 AM »
I don't really see the issue. Calibans are just deformed humans. And Vistani are also humans.

Not a single Ravenloft source that I know of states that the children of the vistani are immune to calibanism.

For the sake of avoiding cheesing though, I'd pick caliban as your "official" race. His backstory and family tree is something to can work in your RP.
Not all who wander are lost.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 09:04:21 AM »
I don't really see the issue. Calibans are just deformed humans. And Vistani are also humans.

Vistani aren't humans.

And as others have said, half-vistani caliban are not a supported race so it'd be cheesing to play one.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 09:58:40 AM »

Vistani aren't humans.

And as others have said, half-vistani caliban are not a supported race so it'd be cheesing to play one.

Vistani aren't human!?!?!?!?! 0.o But...but... they....they look human... and smell human...[ mind blown]

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 09:59:58 AM »
Alright, I'll reformulate; Vistani are not exactly humans.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2015, 10:02:01 AM »

Vistani aren't humans.

Vistani aren't human!?!?!?!?! 0.o But...but... they....they look human... and smell human...[ mind blown]

If they were human, they wouldn't be considered a sub-race, and your race section wouldn't change from Human to Vistani, or Half Elf to Giomarga (or whatever it's called). They probably wouldn't have the boons that they have either, or the mysterious stigma. Abber Nomads also change subrace from Human to Abber once selected. I think this is what makes being "Half Vistani" as much of a deal as it is. No one brags about being Half Irish or Half Italian as something special from one another.

Unless cooking is brought up.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2015, 10:02:39 AM »
Vistani are a human subrace. In any case, EO is absolutely right in the fact that caliban half vistani are not supported, so playing one is cheesing. My bad on the previous post.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:07:10 AM by Troukk »
Not all who wander are lost.

Deceptive Deference

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2015, 11:28:27 AM »
Would it still be considered cheesing if it's only for the purposes of roleplaying the Lunatio? I understand that the race is not supported and not selectable in the character creation, but the question was mostly as to whether a Vistana could have a caliban child who would have half-vistani blood and whether or not this being would still experience the lunatio. No different than asking whether or not a caliban could be born of a Vistana and an outlander human and start out knowing some outlander language, really.

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »
Would it still be considered cheesing if it's only for the purposes of roleplaying the Lunatio? I understand that the race is not supported and not selectable in the character creation, but the question was mostly as to whether a Vistana could have a caliban child who would have half-vistani blood and whether or not this being would still experience the lunatio. No different than asking whether or not a caliban could be born of a Vistana and an outlander human and start out knowing some outlander language, really.

It'd be cheesing since you'd be playing the effects of a race/subrace you can't play. It's similar to say: "Can I play a warforged even though I won't have the abilities? I could pretend to be a warforged."

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2015, 11:36:47 AM »
Would it still be considered cheesing if it's only for the purposes of roleplaying the Lunatio?

It would definitely be cheesing to do it for the Lunatio, I think. it sounds like precisely the best example of how this is cheesing.

I understand that the race is not supported and not selectable in the character creation, but the question was mostly as to whether a Vistana could have a caliban child who would have half-vistani blood and whether or not this being would still experience the lunatio. No different than asking whether or not a caliban could be born of a Vistana and an outlander human and start out knowing some outlander language, really.
I am not sure how this is the same as asking a language question, since language can be learned and Lunatio cannot, and is restricted to blood lines.

See also

Vistani aren't humans.

I chalk that up to that they do not have Caliban children, because they aren't exaclty human, and being human is a qualifier to Calibanism.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Deceptive Deference

• New to the Mists
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2015, 12:14:46 PM »

It'd be cheesing since you'd be playing the effects of a race/subrace you can't play. It's similar to say: "Can I play a warforged even though I won't have the abilities? I could pretend to be a warforged."

Ah! I was confused earlier, then. I suppose I wasn't fully understanding what was meant by cheesing. Thanks for the answer. :)

I understand that the race is not supported and not selectable in the character creation, but the question was mostly as to whether a Vistana could have a caliban child who would have half-vistani blood and whether or not this being would still experience the lunatio. No different than asking whether or not a caliban could be born of a Vistana and an outlander human and start out knowing some outlander language, really.
I am not sure how this is the same as asking a language question, since language can be learned and Lunatio cannot, and is restricted to blood lines.

Yea, that makes sense. I was still stuck on the idea of it only being a roleplay issue. Thanks for the explanation!

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »
I have a question. Why not play an extremely ugly half vistani?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

TornFear

• Crit-Magnet
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2015, 12:44:39 PM »
Are you implying the Vistani can be UGLY?
How dare you! Of all the blasphemy.. .why I never.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2015, 12:46:49 PM »
Are you implying the Vistani can be UGLY?
How dare you! Of all the blasphemy.. .why I never.
Don't make me beat you back into the drain with my ugly stick.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2015, 01:34:04 PM »
Vistani are human, but they have special inherited abilities that can be passed on to their offspring. Vistani do not have caliban children, so it is not possible to be a half-Vistani caliban.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2015, 02:18:54 PM »
Vistani are human, but they have special inherited abilities that can be passed on to their offspring. Vistani do not have caliban children, so it is not possible to be a half-Vistani caliban.
* sigh of relief* Oh good..they are human after all just with special powers.

* begins drawing a vistani in a super hero outfit*

And yes i'm sure you can have a ugly visatani... everyone seems to think CHA determins your looks... No thats more of how you present yourself.. Just like in PnP D&D you can have a really fugly sorc yet still powerful...(Why most folks want to make super models on a gothic horror world i'll never know)....So anyways... we now know that Vistani are humans... AND they cannot have Caliban children.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 03:41:06 PM »
* sigh of relief* Oh good..they are human after all just with special powers.

* begins drawing a vistani in a super hero outfit*

And yes i'm sure you can have a ugly visatani... everyone seems to think CHA determins your looks... No thats more of how you present yourself.. Just like in PnP D&D you can have a really fugly sorc yet still powerful...(Why most folks want to make super models on a gothic horror world i'll never know)....So anyways... we now know that Vistani are humans... AND they cannot have Caliban children.

Not too sure anyone brought up CHa as the deciding factor in looks, but since you did, Half Vistani do get a -2 to Cha.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2015, 03:44:17 PM »
Makes sense though, being filled with the desire to run under the moon for three nights of every month doesn't make you the easiest person. Neither the crises of identity and drifting.

Geiger

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2015, 04:30:12 PM »

There you have it folks!

Guru has spoken!

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 09:00:34 PM »
That being said, you could be a mad caliban, Afraid of the moon, especially during the full moon, and believing in all sort of crazy superstitions aimed at keeping at bay the moon's supposed influence over you.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.