Author Topic: Outcasts and crafting stations - inaccessibility a bit over the top  (Read 2542 times)

Telkar

• Dark Power
Okay, so basically my character with rather high OCR due to appearance can't now craft in Port-a-Lucine, but crafted there a lot before Dementlieuse reactions to OCR were introduced. The guys with the crafting materials now react like the commoners. This pretty much makes it so that the only place he can do woodworking, leatherworking and smithing is Degannwy and Dvergheim. Edit: Actually he can't even do leatherworking at all now.

I don't mind the OCR reactions, but I would at least want to be able to practice those crafts in the areas accessible near the mist camp. So I think either the shopkeepers in Port-a-Lucine should be mellowed down or more crafting stations put up which are accessible by high OCR characters.

Telkar

• Dark Power
Re: Outcasts and crafting stations - inaccessibility a bit over the top
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »
Ok, seems that I can access the shop with some clicking acrobatics, bothersome, and looks like I'm "robbing" him and leaving some gold behind. O_-

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:31:05 PM »
The Drain is long overdue for an overhaul. There were plans to update the area quite a while back already, but I have no idea what became of them.
It might not be too near to the Vistani Camp in the mists, but it is the only truly accessible and logical place for crafting stations for outcast characters.

Outcast characters generally have no valid reason for being in Dvergeheim and Degannwy either. Relying on their stations kind of disrupts my immersion.

I get the impression this Port-à-Lucine problem is more of an unintended side effect than anything else though, I don't think that script was meant to restrict outcast characters access to the crafting vendors.

Yma2

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »
Port-A-Lucine has a sewers too... maybe some crafting stations could be hidden down there?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 12:52:06 PM »
Port-A-Lucine has a sewers too... maybe some crafting stations could be hidden down there?

There is a black market area, but it has regular disease checks. I wouldn't want to stand around there idle or crafting for too long at a time.

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »
Wouldn't mind that. It's ok if outcasts have it a bit harder.

My character went to Hazlan and surprisingly the shopkeeper there doesn't respond to his OCR, and none of the Hazlani do in fact, so at least I can use that place (just a shame they don't have alchemical arrowhead templates though, for whatever reason). Suppose I'll keep using that place most discreetly, and stop when hell inevitably breaks loose.  :mrgreen:

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 01:53:24 PM »
Out of curiosity, how high is your OCR? Dementlieu NPCs are supposed to freak out but they don't go hostile unless your OCR is ridiculously high.

Wouldn't mind that. It's ok if outcasts have it a bit harder.

My character went to Hazlan and surprisingly the shopkeeper there doesn't respond to his OCR, and none of the Hazlani do in fact, so at least I can use that place (just a shame they don't have alchemical arrowhead templates though, for whatever reason). Suppose I'll keep using that place most discreetly, and stop when hell inevitably breaks loose.  :mrgreen:

Hazlan OCR is on the to-do list.  :twisted:

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 02:07:54 PM »
His OCR is 17 in Dementlieu. They just freak out but don't go hostile. It's lovely to spend a while of crafting with a shower of offensive remarks. :p

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 02:10:13 PM »
His OCR is 17 in Dementlieu. They just freak out but don't go hostile. It's lovely to spend a while of crafting with a shower of offensive remarks. :p

Sounds like a good motivator to work faster! ;)

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »
Yeeah...at least Antoine DuLion the alchemist shopkeeper keeps to himself. He's swell.

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 02:22:06 PM »
Still think it would be grand to have portable crafting stations for some of the crafts.  It would be a placeable like the chests and chairs etc, but with a negative on the success of crafting items(similar to the -5 for not knowing a recipe).

They could be somewhat heavy depending on the actual design of the placeable in question.  For example.... a Portable Cauldron could have the appearance of a cookpot on a tripod over a fire, weigh 20 pounds and have a -5 success modifier when used.  Though this would require some work to implement. 

Sage - When stories come to life

Destinysdesire

• Vallaki Guards
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 02:27:45 PM »
Still think it would be grand to have portable crafting stations for some of the crafts.  It would be a placeable like the chests and chairs etc, but with a negative on the success of crafting items(similar to the -5 for not knowing a recipe).

They could be somewhat heavy depending on the actual design of the placeable in question.  For example.... a Portable Cauldron could have the appearance of a cookpot on a tripod over a fire, weigh 20 pounds and have a -5 success modifier when used.  Though this would require some work to implement. 

+100000

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 04:52:26 PM »
Great idea, just don't torture me with a -5 success modifier, because my crafting is already illogically unsuccessful as it is @_@

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 07:46:46 PM »
I would see more of a -2 mod than a whole -5...

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
-5 is a huge reduction for crafting, and I honestly don't see the reason that a smaller cauldron would be less effective than an industrial size one. If a player is able and willing to carry an extra 30 pound item with them, why penalize their attempts when using it? Just doesn't make sense to me. similarly, there could be a portable distillery/alchemist workstation and other crafting things like that. You would have the ability to craft wherever, at the expense of precious carry weight, and you wouldn't have the luxury of a merchant on hand to buy things like bottles, vials, pouches etc from. If it's something that's going to be implemented, like I said, I don't understand what logical reason there would be for them not working like the normal ones and if it's an ooc balance issue concern then there's already reasons they aren't as good as the actual workstation anyway.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2015, 09:23:15 PM »
the logic behind having a negative modifier is simply that when your in a fully functional laboratory(kitchen/forge/workshop) is that you have numerous tools and materials on hand to use, that otherwise would be too excessive to be lugging about everywhere.  When brewing potions over a campfire you have the added difficulty in maintaining the proper temperatures with cold winds and potential rain.  Your not working with full sized equipment that would require much more space(and thusly encumberance) to be portable.  It would also promote use of the actual workstations around the mod.  The "kits" would serve in a pinch, but wouldn't provide full benefits an actual room full of tools and such would provide.

Now, maybe a -5 is a bit steep... but consider there could be variants.  A super cheap kit might have -5, while a more expensive "Deluxe" version would only have a net -1 or -2.  The numbers aren't entirely up to us, the Dev's would need to consider the effects this would have on performance.... I mean what happens if 15 players form a Quilting guild and all of them drop portable looms and spinning wheels in one area and simultaneously start weaving silk garbs?   While it would be an awesome scene to walk into, I imagine the system resource needs would be massive.

Sage - When stories come to life

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 04:56:30 AM »
Id be fine with the -5, since the more time you invest in the skill the less such matters. But as suggested, its more for on the go and in a pinch. Though such looses some of its appeal when you then need to carry around potion bottles which are a additional two squares and more weight as well :/

If this does get the green light, i think it would only be fair to add in the same option for some of the other crafts that don't require anything huge. Like smelting and metal working.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »
It's a great suggestion, although I agree that -5 is way too steep for a penalty. I would end up never using the portable versions if that were the case, dragging around additional large heavy items can be tricky enough as is.

I also think there need to be easier accessible crafting stations/ more crafting stations before starting on a completely new crafting mechanic. Adding a few more crafting stations should be a much less time consuming job.