Author Topic: Whips: Underpowered?  (Read 3843 times)

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Whips: Underpowered?
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
So, choosing to use a whip is usually nerfing yourself, on any server.  1d2 damage, x2 crit.  Not much there for damage.  The main pull for a whip is one: it's a whip, and whips are cool.  And two: it gives disarm for free.  However, on PoTM, everyone has disarm, so that point's moot.

So, I was wondering.  Why not give all the whips Improved Disarm to make up for it?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
Re: Whips: Underpowered?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 03:28:55 PM »
The is a "whip" that is technically among the most powerfull non magical weapons on the server.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 03:38:18 PM »
So, choosing to use a whip is usually nerfing yourself, on any server.  1d2 damage, x2 crit.  Not much there for damage.  The main pull for a whip is one: it's a whip, and whips are cool.  And two: it gives disarm for free.  However, on PoTM, everyone has disarm, so that point's moot.

So, I was wondering.  Why not give all the whips Improved Disarm to make up for it?

I suggested this a while back actually, don't think the idea really went anywhere but I agree. With disarm given out to everyone already it pretty much makes whips worthless functionally and leaves them as more of a nice flavor sort of weapon.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
It's a neat idea.

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 04:23:51 PM »
Yar! Seems like the vanilla whips were supposed to be neat because they offered disarm. If we're interested in keeping that benefit, having improved disarm feels like a logical step.

Gutshank

• Dirty n00b!!!1
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 07:15:07 PM »
Olywynn's forum account must have been compromised. Whoever hacked it posted a good idea. It Defiantly can not be Olywynn.

:shhh:
~Dawn Bless~

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 07:23:04 PM »
Olywynn's forum account must have been compromised. Whoever hacked it posted a good idea. It Defiantly can not be Olywynn.

:shhh:

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
Bumping this, for the good of all Lawgiver Clerics!

The Prophet of Misinformation

• Kept you waiting, huh?
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Forever #Trigger
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »

I'd add a badass whip to Sithicus but due to the present item creation rules, it can't be more than 2000 gold. Which makes it limited to suck.
"The brave man inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts in the hour of danger."
~Andrew Jackson

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 08:51:20 AM »

I'd add a badass whip to Sithicus but due to the present item creation rules, it can't be more than 2000 gold. Which makes it limited to suck.

Is that 2000 Zimbabwean gold pieces or 2000 US gold pieces? I'm sure there's some sort of exchange rate exploit that will let us have badass whips.

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 09:11:13 AM »

That's unfortunate.  We could really use a high end whip that actually does some decent damage, aside from Vampire Killer (Which I haven't seen in ages.)

Plus, a good Lawgiver needs a whip that tears into living people!

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 09:08:34 PM »

That rule shouldn't apply to Sithicus. If good items dropped there people might be willing to risk going.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

booksarefun666

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 04:59:34 AM »
Depends on how whip-like your whip to be, the oriental whips that one guy sells east of the city is 1d10 damage total (1d2 slashing/1d8 bludgeoning) so it's not the worst weapon but it looks exactly like what it says on the tin: A giant link of chains connected to each other.