Author Topic: Reset Troubles  (Read 4477 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Reset Troubles
« on: April 24, 2015, 08:04:36 AM »
Is it possible to make it so resets either have a special buff like when dead, but only to jack strength way up till we portal to one of our spots. Or to have resets wipe the slate clean for our next rest. So if we rested before a reset/crash we can rest right after as well.

Lately the resets keep hitting me pretty badly since i'm encumbered at the time, i loose my buffs because of the reset and then walking to one of the portals severely cripples me with max exhaustion. If i was unfortunate to rest shortly before the reset i end up stuck where ever i appear because i cant rest and i cant rebuff my self because of exhaustion (spell failure). Which can put me in quite a bind since i'm ic and it leaves me (and any other str spell reliant player) vulnerable.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
Re: Reset Troubles
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 09:52:35 AM »
You cold probably solve this by carrying a few Bull Strength potion  ;)

But you make a good point here, having a strength buff in the OOC Lounge is a good idea.

Being able to rest after a reset is also a good idea since you lose all buff and effect on your char after a reset which can be pretty annoying for spell caster.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 10:40:43 AM »
Bulls potions are only plentiful during spring time when honey lily is available, and sadly for my build i need to spend such on cats grace since i dont get it as a spell :(

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:28:34 PM »

But you make a good point here, having a strength buff in the OOC Lounge is a good idea.

Being able to rest after a reset is also a good idea since you lose all buff and effect on your char after a reset which can be pretty annoying for spell caster.

Unfortunately that would be easy to abuse. I think your best bet would be to ask a DM for help in that regard. When resets are voted in you have twenty minutes to find a safer location to stop by, so hopefully you are in a good position on the server to find a place to hide out or make it to the destination you were going to.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »
You can also hire an ox so there is no need to use bulls strength or becoming exsausted, when the warnings for the reset comes you use the claim ox function so it can be easily recovered once you log back in game after a sucsesfull reset.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:48:34 PM »

Unfortunately that would be easy to abuse. I think your best bet would be to ask a DM for help in that regard. When resets are voted in you have twenty minutes to find a safer location to stop by, so hopefully you are in a good position on the server to find a place to hide out or make it to the destination you were going to.

How could you abuse it?

Let's say the buff is only there when you are in the OOC room and goes off as soon as you use the portal there is no way to abuse that since you only have the buff while in the OOC room.

For being able to rest after a reset I don't see any abuse problem there.
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »
Both counter suggestions are not entirely realistic all the time. You cant always get out of a dungeon and to a "safe place" in under twenty mins. Nor is suggesting renting a ox when you are no where near such, as far as i know as well the ox doesn't just appear where you reenter the game after a reset either.

What was suggested isn't really all that abusable, as Iluvatar explained it exists only in the ooc and only till you get to one of the three portals. Much like when you're a ghost once you get raised all those immunities and such are gone and you're back to normal.

Both would be ideal as you could get to a portal and, get back to a spot, rest and be ready to go and get right back into things.

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 01:26:11 AM »

How could you abuse it?

Let's say the buff is only there when you are in the OOC room and goes off as soon as you use the portal there is no way to abuse that since you only have the buff while in the OOC room.

For being able to rest after a reset I don't see any abuse problem there.

If that's the case with the buff, I misunderstood. I pictured people getting a bull's strength buff in the OOC lounge then running out into the world with it up.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 10:18:17 AM »
A Freedom of Movement Effect on area entry might resolve the movement reduction to reach the portal, but I agree that it would be beneficial to have some means to restore used spells since you effectively lose some long term buffs and don't always have a means to replicate them on entry.

Sage - When stories come to life

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
Side stepping isn't effected by weight, and you can move normally. I think it's because in DnD, you can drag more than you can carry, so side stepping is effectively dragging. That will get you to the portal at a reasonable time.

Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »
Side stepping isn't effected by weight, and you can move normally. I think it's because in DnD, you can drag more than you can carry, so side stepping is effectively dragging. That will get you to the portal at a reasonable time.

note that side stepping while encumbered can get you in trouble.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »
I think it's probably just a game mechanics exploit kind of thing, doubt there's an actual ruleset reason behind it. You still gain exhaustion as well.

Anyway, it is considered abusing the game mechanics to prevent encumberance by sidestepping, but I highly doubt anyone is going to blame you for sidesteping from the spawnpoint to the portal in the OoC room because the server crashed on you. This still doesn't solve the issue of the original poster though, as you will still end up exhausted even while sidestepping.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »
Is it possible to simply turn off the exhaustion script in the OCC area?  That would solve your problem.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP