Author Topic: Ogre spawns  (Read 4846 times)

Aduial

• Dark Lord
Ogre spawns
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:31:25 PM »
I recently noted that ogre spawns especially when they arrive to have the Bonecrushers are very avoided by the players, and if there is an ogre spawn of bonecrushers no one seem to fight them, perhaps they are too difficult? or they don t give good loot? i t is a matter of balance? just a thought....what do you think guys?

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
Re: Ogre spawns
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 06:33:33 PM »
I only dare touch them on my mid-level fighter, they hit hard. Reaaaally hard.

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 07:14:04 PM »
Hard enough to crush your bones, one might even say.

julienchab

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 07:23:08 PM »
I'd like to know which spawn you are talking about. If it's the one on the way to the mist camp from vallaki, I would guess it's because people just don't bother fighting them when they just want to go to the Mist camp. But they aren't that difficult. With a good AC, they can be taken down quite fast.

Aduial

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 07:37:53 PM »
i am speaking in general there are sometimes spawns even in some caves for example near the Sullen Woods.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 07:55:15 PM »
I always found ogres to be not worth the time and effort it takes to kill them. For their difficulty their XP wasn't that good, and the loot was typically pretty meh. I don't know if this has changed at all over the last few years, but I pretty much flat out ignore ogres.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
I wonder why not replace the ogres with highwaymen and more mundane threats like that?

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 08:37:20 PM »
I found some odd loot with the ogres.. like that silencing halberd... hehe loved that thing... but what I never understand was how ogres could spawn at the broken tower near midway.... like... there is no way for them to fit in that ity bity hole..

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:17:13 PM »
I found some odd loot with the ogres.. like that silencing halberd... hehe loved that thing... but what I never understand was how ogres could spawn at the broken tower near midway.... like... there is no way for them to fit in that ity bity hole..

Ran into a group of ogres here about two weeks ago.  Two bonecrushers and two regular ogres in the group. Too much to handle.  I thought it weird they were there, too. 
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »

Ran into a group of ogres here about two weeks ago.  Two bonecrushers and two regular ogres in the group. Too much to handle.  I thought it weird they were there, too. 

Only two bone crushers? Man that's lucky, normally I get stuck running from 3 or 4 bone crushers near Midway
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 10:38:13 AM »

Only two bone crushers? Man that's lucky, normally I get stuck running from 3 or 4 bone crushers near Midway
3 or 4?  :shock: Ouuuccchhhhhh.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »
I never had any problem with Bonecrushes, even at low level. Ghail, my cleric, has been able to fight them since level 5. Zidonne, since level 4. Gavaine, who is an archer/ranger and dual weilder, had problems with them until roughly level 7, but after that has never had any problem with them. But you have to be ready and have a strategy, you can't just rush them like everything else. Called shot goes a long way.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 01:13:53 PM »
course you could just sneak by them also.. I did it with an 18 hide and 16 ms. just hug that wall and hope they roll low.. hehehe otherwise once you hit like low 20s on hide and ms... your golden they can't see you 95% of the time

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 07:25:30 PM »
Monk speed. 'nough said ;) LOL

-Semi-Retired-

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 07:27:09 PM »
I repeate my statement from above, why not just have highwaymen or some other similar threat then ogres?

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 08:07:17 PM »
I repeate my statement from above, why not just have highwaymen or some other similar threat then ogres?

I can see ogres during the cave spawns being reasonable.. but i would have to agree that highwaymen being a more apropriate spawn at the broken tower near midway.

It's not that the ogres are a problem but more of the spawn just doesn't seem logical. A: to find ogres down there past the trap door seems illogical since it's a trap door... basically  " they are to big for the hole" ( try to not take that the wrong way)..

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
Isn't "highwaymen" another name for "Bandits?" I am not sure hiring them will be very conducive to travel :P

But anyway, I personally feel like the ogre's are fine. Maybe their CR could be raised? They don't really give out enough xp to be worth fighting.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:11:21 PM by Tycat »
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »
Isn't "highwaymen" another name for "Bandits?" I am not sure hiring them will be very conducive to travel :P

yes but highway men are generally far more skilled than bandits. and also you could have more than just ranged and melee highway men, you can have spell casters also.. ( grant it you can also have bandit mages...) In most games with bandits and highway men. they always made highway men the more superiour type... far more skilled and leathal.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 08:16:45 PM »

yes but highway men are generally far more skilled than bandits. and also you could have more than just ranged and melee highway men, you can have spell casters also.. ( grant it you can also have bandit mages...) In most games with bandits and highway men. they always made highway men the more superiour type... far more skilled and leathal.

I want more mundane threats so that way when one fights monsters they are more scary. Highwaymen is a fancy term for bandit. Of course it does help that highwaymen are also far more romanticized then bandits. :P

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 12:07:58 AM »

Because Strahd really hates ogres, so the Dark Powers put them in his domain and near his castle to torment him. His heightened vampire sense of smell can always smell them, his heightened hearing can always hear them bellow and fart. Every time he flutters from his castle as a bat, he sees the ugly ravaged clearing those brutes have caused!

Syied

• Undead Slayer
  • Back from the Mists.
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2015, 12:33:50 AM »

Because Strahd really hates ogres, so the Dark Powers put them in his domain and near his castle to torment him. His heightened vampire sense of smell can always smell them, his heightened hearing can always hear them bellow and fart. Every time he flutters from his castle as a bat, he sees the ugly ravaged clearing those brutes have caused!

10/10 would believe to be canon.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 12:49:10 AM »
Ogre farts, capable of repelling even the darkest of dark lords.  :lol:

-Semi-Retired-

Kiyosa

• Undead Master
  • Tainted Dove
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »
I no longer bother with ogres simply because if the imbalance between the effort it takes to down them and the gain in both XP and loot. I cleared a cave or two a couple of times with my monk, but only some of them gave XP and not really much at that either. So... why bother fighting a group of them for 4-5 mins when you have absolutely nothing to gain?

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 12:47:05 PM »

I can see ogres during the cave spawns being reasonable.. but i would have to agree that highwaymen being a more apropriate spawn at the broken tower near midway.

It's not that the ogres are a problem but more of the spawn just doesn't seem logical. A: to find ogres down there past the trap door seems illogical since it's a trap door... basically  " they are to big for the hole" ( try to not take that the wrong way)..

They are big enough to lift them selves over the ledge and use the cave entrances i suppose?

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »

That reminds me of my old fraternity house

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP