Author Topic: Excerpts of Jean de Sombre's Journal  (Read 128 times)

ShadowOfHavoc

• New to the Mists
Excerpts of Jean de Sombre's Journal
« on: October 31, 2023, 02:57:41 PM »
The first page of a well worn journal, few in the core would recognize the language it is written in.

Date Unknown, though it is Fall.

I have no clue where I am... I am writing this in the light of a camp fire, in what I can only assume to be a Gypsy camp. How they arrived in the New World and how they happen to be here I do not know. I may not be able to understand them, which is odd, I would have assumed at least one would know french but that is an issue for tomorrow. What I do know is that I am thankful for their presence, for I fear that without them and their fire that beast may have gotten me and my sister...

My day started normal, my sister and I had left the tribe we had been staying with for the past few months and had begun our return to Quebec. Our summer with the tribe had been quite profitable and I am quite eager to share what we learned and gathered, Mags though seems more interested in seeing Father again though. Our return to Quebec was to be a triumphant one, laden with the spoils of the New World. But fate, it seems, had other plans. 

I was, am, sad that we had to leave, the tribe are such interesting people. They live such simple lives, my fellow countrymen do not understand them like I do. They view them as simple savages, but Mags and I know differently. They know the secrets of this wilderness better than any European could ever dream of knowing. They know what stalks the lands... They know of what chased us here.

We were ambushed just as we were getting ready to make camp. We did the only reasonable thing... we fled. But the creature that pursued us was unlike any I had ever seen. Its eyes burned with an otherworldly fire, and its howls echoed through the trees like the anguished cries of lost souls. We had no choice but abandon the game trail and our packs, to flee deeper into the ancient forest, chased by a beast that defied all earthly explanation. I felt the weight of the wilds pressing in upon me. The other coureurs de bois will need to be warned of this danger... The wilderness, these ancient trees they have a way of reminding us that it the wilderness is not so easily conquered.

As we ran around and past the ancient trees, the moonlight started to fade. My sister and I started to flag, we could not keep up this pace. The creature, the beast, for that is only what it could be was toying with us. However as we ran a fog bank unlike any other I had ever seen appeared. The fog, thick as a witch's brew, was our only hope to evade the Beast. So we plunged in...

And then, as suddenly as the chase began, it ended. I don't know what happened in the mist but the next thing I knew I had awoken near this camp I find myself in. There is no sign of the Beast. My sister seems to think we are safe, I however fear for the worse...

Only time will tell which of us is right...

[The journal entry ends, as the writer's quill leaves a trail of ink as he trails off.]