You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Coup de grace  (Read 6466 times)

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: Coup de grace
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2015, 10:51:08 AM »
I imagine higher level monsters usually have some sort of armour, healing factor or immunities that make them far less susceptible to moves such as a coupe de grace.
Most monsters of that level are not affected by sleep anymore anyway, right? And they probably have a really high ressistance against effects such as paralyze as well.

In the end they are just game mechanics though, we probably should not be overthinking this too much. It is likely hard coded into the game anyway, so there is probably not much anyone can do to change this mechanic.

to be fair and i'll leave it at this, I could paralyze a desert troll chieften with a deadly acid blob with not much problem accept for the dice themselves... But you are right in the fact this is most likely hard coded and we can't change anything.. hehe my logical thinking got in the way.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2015, 11:37:23 AM »
This game would be boring if you could coup de grace anything.
: )

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
This game would be boring if you could coup de grace anything.

This is very true... hehe i wasn't upset that we couldn't coup de grace a ogre or troll i just called shinanagins. But i can understand how it would make it boring.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
I've seen invidian tercios being coup de graces...which could not even be possible.
(was 5 years ago on my druid i used stonehold on them.)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Xarnata_Mobile

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
I coup de graced a few monsters and 1 PC with Ashin's  palemaster arm. I always wondered why.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:17 PM »
The NWN coup de grace is different from the PnP version, but there is a logical reason for this -- it is a game mechanic to allow low level characters to survive low level mobs.  The sleep spell is the most powerful spell a low level character (4th level or lower) has access to, insofar as it is a big AOE spell that can affect creatures up to 5 HD.  However, it only lasts 3 rounds + 1 round/level.  As a consequence, if you were to use it on a mob of 5 or 6 low level creatures, you might not be able to hit normally and damage normally to kill off the mob if you had to do regular attacks.  With coup de grace set up as an insta-kill but restricted to 4 HD or less, a character could survive a small mob of goblins (for example), but not power their way through an ogre.  It really is just about survivability at really low levels, since high level characters would rarely use a sleep spell, nor would they have any trouble dealing with monsters of 4 HD or less.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP