You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Krofburg  (Read 3284 times)

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
Krofburg
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »
Is there anyplace I can read up on Krofurg? thanks!

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer
Joric - Merc with no wishes

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Krofburg
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 02:08:24 PM »
It was first introduced in the 3e Ravenloft Dungeon Master's Guide by Arthaus. That's the only canon source on the place.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:12:18 PM »
It was first introduced in the 3e Ravenloft Dungeon Master's Guide by Arthaus. That's the only canon source on the place.
any material by the Fraternity in regards to Krofburg? I know they did one vallaki but what of this hamlet?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:13:41 PM »
Krofburg (Krofberg in the DMG) is really a minor location. It was introduced in the same section as Rue des Pistolets in Dementlieu and Oasis of Apep in Har'Akir. Our version doesn't really follow the one in the DMG 100% accurately though so take what you read there with a grain of salt; it's inspired by it however.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:16:34 PM by EO »

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
Any place around the internet i can read up on the POTM version? Like atmosphere of people, culture and history of the place and such

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:06:21 PM »
Any place around the internet i can read up on the POTM version? Like atmosphere of people, culture and history of the place and such

Not really; the DMG version should be enough to get an overview of the place but ignore the NPCs/Dark corners section. IC, on POTM, Azazel cultists (I think?) took over the town and destroyed most of it years ago and it was restored in a plot a few years ago in-game.

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 03:09:02 PM »
When I built it I just thought it would be neat with a village near mt. Ghakis.  :lol:

That being said it's just an isolated village (based on official material) that produces wine and provides manpower for the mining operation, supervised by the Bellegarde Trading Company (made up by me).

Everything ells is what we make of it, players and dm  :)
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

Corvus

• DM & DEV
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 03:10:59 PM »
When I built it I just thought it would be neat with a village near mt. Ghakis.  :lol:

That being said it's just an isolated village (based on official material) that produces wine and provides manpower for the mining operation, supervised by the Bellegarde Trading Company (made up by me).

Everything ells is what we make of it, players and dm  :)

Oh right, also what EO said. Cultists had taken over it at first, got cleaned out by ML's, Ezrites and some others, their false diety destroyed. Then it got rebuilt.  :)
“It is better to die for Corvus, than live for yourself!".

Playing: Lothar Breitenfeldt, Rhavin, Vincent Lycastus, Erwin Reuenthal

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
How do they react towards outlanders?

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
How do they react towards outlanders?

Same as anywhere else in Barovia.

Mainly of Barovian stock, the people of Krofberg dress in somber tones, enlivened by elaborate embroidery made from silken strands of goat hair. The women compete over who can make the most intricate and colorful patterns on their aprons and kerchiefs, while the men show off their fanci-fully embroidered vests and their luxurious goatees. Taciturn and quiet around strangers, families in Krofberg are very close and usually rather large, with the average family having five or more choldren and at least one grandparent sharing the same house. Goats are often an important part of the family as well, providing wool, milk, goat carts for transportation and extra warmth within the home on the coldest winter days.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 04:00:54 PM »
Corv, this is the DMG stuff, feel free to edit or scrap the post with your additions.  :)

Dungeon Master Guide, p.80 -

Size: Small Settlement
Population: 500 (98% Human, 2% Half-Vistani)

Small Village nested amid the rocky slopes of mount Ghakis. Known for its long haired goats and a very sweet reisling wine made from plump white grapes. Cottages in Korfburg are usually painted in deep russet with their decorative leaded windows showing curling vines and vibrant bunches of grapes scattered among bright green leaves. Windows have sturdy shutters carved with various designs - a practical necessity where winter winds are strong.

Surroundings

A pass around Mount Ghakis lies within a few leagues of Krofberg. Because of the brisk trade between Nova Vaasa and Barovia, occasionally a lost traveler finds his way to the village and discover its excellent wines and beer. The few ponies and the people of Krofberg use are also of Nova Vaasan stock and a couple of merchants noew make a detour each year to trade for wines and woolen goods.

Dark Corners

Some few people in Krofberg are discontented with their lot. One family, the Badunas, has begun its own winery and seeks to compete with the burgomaster for the finest wine in the valley. Rumors suggest that the troubles Milos has had this year with leaks in his casques and tainted barrels can be laid at the doorstep of the Baduna's youngest son, Nikolai. Nikolai was a mischevious young boy who always managed to get out of trouble with his charming dimples and innocent eyes. Now a teenager, Nikolai has been caught pulling much more harmful pranks, some of which seem to stem from his attraction to Pavla, others from his jealousy of Milos.

More goats than usual died in recent years from predators and some villagers seeking the bests haven't been seen again. No one knows that a young lycanthrope has taken residence in a cave few miles from Krofburg and has begun visiting the town during the day in guise of a Half-Vistani merchant looking for bargains in wool. Teodor Dymtrus is most definitly a wolf in sheep's clothing, crafty and cruel in his choice of victims, he seeks those who will be the most missed by others in the village -- and often helps search for them by leading parties far from his cavernous home.

Adventure ideas

• One of the grape growers has discovered a beautiful old vine half-hidden beyond a hill. Its rich, deep red fruit produces an escpecially intoxicating wine, but also seems to attract hordes of the huge black bats that swirl above the mountains each evening. Now word has come of Count's Strahd's interest and his impeding arrival.
  • The Vistana Madam Leyna has given word of a prophecy. An Evil darkness comes to Krofberg - in what form she cannot tell.
  • A pack of ravenous wolves has carried off an especially prized goat and scattered the rest of the herd. Their owner begs for someone to go find her kids and heir nannies before a threatening snow storm arrives or the rest die under the cruel teeth and claws of the pack.
  • A strange bluish fungus is threatening the entire grape harvest in the fields outside Krofberg. Legends tell of an ancient remedy known only by the Vatraska Vistani. A group is gathered to find one of their caravans before the harvest is lost.

Ingwulf

• Undead Master
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 04:42:35 PM »
Nice! Thanks a bunch!

Ingwulf Son of Bulwig
Daft The good soul
Vindur- natures explorer

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 04:01:23 AM »
Thank you for bringing this up, and thank you et al for the resource responses... Katerina spends more time in Krofburg than any other settlement on the server... it's one of my absolute favorite spots   :D

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »
Thank you for bringing this up, and thank you et al for the resource responses... Katerina spends more time in Krofburg than any other settlement on the server... it's one of my absolute favorite spots   :D

Yeah I love it too.

It's the most 'Barovian' like place of the domain. That and the Wachter estate on the outskirts of Krezk
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth