Author Topic: Lysaga Hill - Witches  (Read 5391 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Lysaga Hill - Witches
« on: March 18, 2015, 05:41:10 AM »
A few moments ago, i killed a small group of five Exhaulted Witches, and was a bit of a let down when all they dropped was:

1x Pot Helmet
1x Horse Hair Helmet
1x Fighter Helmet
1x Spike Helmet
1x Black Hood
1x Winter Cloak
1x Potion of Courage
1x Oil of Conquering Glory
1x Scroll of Lesser Dispel
1x Scroll of Endurance
1x Scroll of Cats Grace

Gold: 17

Given the difficulty of the witches, seems like there should be better loot. What dropped looked more like something you pull out from one of the beginning dungeons. All of the above was spread out across all of them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 05:46:38 AM by Miuo »

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Lysaga Hill - Witches
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 06:08:25 AM »
A few moments ago, i killed a small group of five Exhaulted Witches, and was a bit of a let down when all they dropped was:

1x Pot Helmet
1x Horse Hair Helmet
1x Fighter Helmet
1x Spike Helmet
1x Black Hood
1x Winter Cloak
1x Potion of Courage
1x Oil of Conquering Glory
1x Scroll of Lesser Dispel
1x Scroll of Endurance
1x Scroll of Cats Grace

Gold: 17

Given the difficulty of the witches, seems like there should be better loot. What dropped looked more like something you pull out from one of the beginning dungeons. All of the above was spread out across all of them.

I disagree with your premise that harder fights should necessarily equate better loot. As in real life, being wealthy is a circumstantial situation which sometimes has nothing to do with how hard one works. It is the hard to access dungeons that should yield greater rewards, those who takes a measure of time and investment to complete. The Lysaga Hills are so readily accessible to all that it would only be camped and abused if the loot was better there. For my part, I consider that the XP I get there, when going there with a character of the proper level, is a more than acceptable reward.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 06:22:58 AM »
But this isn't real life. We don't risk our lives for our money(Well, most of us don't) in real life. This is a game where risk relatively equals reward. Higher risk should equate to higher reward in terms of spawn difficulty. That's the entire point of the increasing spawn difficulty: better reward.

dark_majico

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 06:32:38 AM »
But this isn't real life. We don't risk our lives for our money(Well, most of us don't) in real life. This is a game where risk relatively equals reward. Higher risk should equate to higher reward in terms of spawn difficulty. That's the entire point of the increasing spawn difficulty: better reward.

The game is about having fun not getting some phat lo0t, I'm with MAB77 there is a danger of the place becoming a camping ground if they increase the  value of the drops. Don't forget the reward is as much the XP as anything else it's not like the loot is all you get.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 07:15:07 AM »
It doesn't need to be super amazing loot that drops highly desired things. But scrolls fitting the spells they actually cast, or decent potions and things of that nature would be far better then several useless helms that sell for less then 5 gp at a merchant. Im not suggesting the hill become some new attraction on the way to Tsers. Only that if someone decides to go up against them. Some moderately decent drops would be more fair then being rewarded with loot far crappier then what I could possibly find by going into a low level cave and just one shoting things. . .With the sort of loot they did drop it would actually only encourage me to do such since the risk vs reward would be waaaaaaaay higher for such then the hill.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »
The xp reward is actually fairly decent for the challenge presented

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 07:32:50 AM »
I agree that the loot for the witches is poor, but then consider the complete area and the story behind it.

Who leaves their valuables on the door step ?

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 08:02:43 AM »
When did witches care about the value of an item? :P

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »
It doesn't need to be super amazing loot that drops highly desired things. But scrolls fitting the spells they actually cast, or decent potions and things of that nature would be far better then several useless helms that sell for less then 5 gp at a merchant. Im not suggesting the hill become some new attraction on the way to Tsers. Only that if someone decides to go up against them. Some moderately decent drops would be more fair then being rewarded with loot far crappier then what I could possibly find by going into a low level cave and just one shoting things. . .With the sort of loot they did drop it would actually only encourage me to do such since the risk vs reward would be waaaaaaaay higher for such then the hill.

It's the idea of moderately decent drops that I have an issue with. I'm of the belief that the value of the loot should be lower in general to prevent farming. A moderate increase in the value could turn the profit into hundreds of gold in total, if you multiple hundreds you quickly get thousands, and the farming begins. I'm not saying gold should be rationed and there shouln't be any decent drops anywhere but you should always have to work hard for a reward, the harder the better.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 09:12:22 AM »
Yet again as I said, when did Witches ever care about items? a chance for them dropping a cure moderate or light, not a terrible thing otherwise i never complained about their drops since the chest normally had the good items and you only fight what?..... four exalted witchers and or a supreme warlaock up top? the rest of the stuff is just demons below.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:09 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I agree with MAB-I know that if those witches dropped anything decent I'd go kill them anytime I was near cause it would be quick and easy, just a short step off the path for a couple minutes-sorry but it's true :/. Like people have said, the xp reward for them is pretty good when people of the appropriate level go against them and that's always a good reward. There's pretty much no loot to trolls in Har'Akir, but they're tough as nails and people go against them all the time anyway because the xp reward makes them worth it.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:59:31 PM »

It is important to acknowledge that there are TWO forms of reward in play when characters take on monsters -- loot and xp.  XP clearly should scale with difficulty.  I think loot TABLES should scale with spawn difficulty, but that does not automatically mean that the results of the loot drop will always be better with a tougher monster -- the drop from a loot table is randomized, and therefore it is perfectly reasonable that a loot drop might be lousy for any particular monster.  Some days you get lucky, some days you don't. 

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2015, 12:39:29 AM »
I think I was told someone busted out some really nice monk gloves out of there once its just all luck with the loot spawns.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 06:01:10 AM »
I think I was told someone busted out some really nice monk gloves out of there once its just all luck with the loot spawns.

yes, in the past i often found high level scrolls on them, making it worth to kill them. (allthough on highest spawn i was only able to do it 5 years ago on my druid)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

de_reguer

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 07:28:24 AM »

It was the Fane Hills. We found some fists of Anduril there once. Their a pretty high end loot item. I've seen them also in Perfidus once and (strangely enough) the were boar caves when its random spawn and it was filled with yeti. Still I wouldn't be surprised if Lysaga has them at max spawn. It would be about comparable to the Fane Hills at that point.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 09:06:54 AM »
Still back to the five witches themselves up top.... When did witches ever care for the actual retale value of an item?! They are witches they can do what they want with what they want. they don't need some fancy papers or shiny sword. or a bunch of gold,
Look at all the witches in fantasy you have known.. Did they ever carry around a diamonded ingraved necklace?! Did they hve some Powerful sword?!

No they normally had some sword or staff or wand they got their hands on and made it their own. they never carried scrolls and didn't have a lot of gold.

SO it makes more sense thats those 5 witches at the top of the hill wouldn't have much on them.

How ever if you wish to put them in with the dungeon below than see them as scouts and look outs.... and these are demons below.. If you were the head demon there would you truely care for the mortals above that you have as lookouts? and give them things they might lose?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:08:42 AM by Syl »