You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Is there a reason why these robes are sorcerer only?  (Read 10012 times)

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: Is there a reason why these robes are sorcerer only?
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »
In my honest opinion: Wizards are learning casters, how would the robes give an understanding of HOW to cast in that manner without a second thought? A sorcerer just knows. This does NOT mean they understand their powers. The robes could alter their casting due to this fact. That doesn't mean a book couldn't teach a wizard this and be cursed to strip the knowledge when closed but a robe? Wizards unite in versatility, not fashion. pick up a book! XD

Yet we have Robes of Wizardry and the various Evil/Good/Neutral ones that give spell slots, with the names I can never spell.

I see where you are coming from, but I see it as Sorc. robes boosting innate potential, whereas Wizard robes have more pockets for components! Or something like that.

Sorcs don't just know... they can actually not understand how they are able to do it magic is just like a natural talent to them. and either way both of them would need the componets to cast the spell.  doesn't matter if your a 20th level sorc on PnP if you don't have [insert mat here] to cast [insert spell here] it wont cast.

as for the robes i believe your thinking of the RObes of Lunitaari, nuitari and umm... ah crude i always mess up the good one... starts with an S...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:30:45 PM by Syl »

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2015, 03:22:05 PM »
In my honest opinion: Wizards are learning casters, how would the robes give an understanding of HOW to cast in that manner without a second thought? A sorcerer just knows. This does NOT mean they understand their powers. The robes could alter their casting due to this fact. That doesn't mean a book couldn't teach a wizard this and be cursed to strip the knowledge when closed but a robe? Wizards unite in versatility, not fashion. pick up a book! XD

Yet we have Robes of Wizardry and the various Evil/Good/Neutral ones that give spell slots, with the names I can never spell.

I see where you are coming from, but I see it as Sorc. robes boosting innate potential, whereas Wizard robes have more pockets for components! Or something like that.

Sorcs don't just know... they can actually not understand how they are able to do it magic is just like a natural talent to them. and either way both of them would need the componets to cast the spell.  doesn't matter if your a 20th level sorc on PnP if you don't have [insert mat here] to cast [insert spell here] it wont cast.

as for the robes i believe your thinking of the RObes of Lunitaari, nuitari and umm... ah crude i always mess up the good one... starts with an S...

Solinari, Lunitari, Nuitari.
: )

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
Thank you!! i was saying them but i couldn't spell Solinari right  hehehe

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 06:53:16 PM »

The thing is, the fundamentals of casting are the same whether or not you are a Wizard or a Sorcerer. Sorcerer's have to use spell components just like Wizards do, there are no differences there. I believe this also includes metamagic. We cast from the same pool of magic. Unless you are actually adding spell slots to a particular class, I see no reason why their use should be limited.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 06:55:15 PM by Indigocell »

Nightmare

• Squatbold
  • Dark Lord
  • Reality Unhinged
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 02:41:19 AM »
A Wizard is an Engineer. He puts pen to paper. His spells are blueprints, he pieces them together carefully, ensuring each gesture is in its exact place at the right time to draw forth their power.

A Sorcerer is an Artist. She puts brush to canvas. Her spells are paintings. She flows wildly through her spells, letting intuition and feeling take over, creating something beautiful and potent in the process.

They both use components, they both cast magic from the same source, but with different methods.

All of these robes are, :shock:, MAGIC. There is no reason that a wizard couldn't get spell slots from a robe, or meta-magic feats. There is just an odd discrepancy in gear that leans towards certain classes, much how like years ago we had over a dozen magical scimitars, a dozen short swords, and ONE Two-bladed sword (also like, one sickle).

Good new items need to be made to close the gap, or new versions that aren't arbitrarily restricted by class.

Get that creativity going, make some items!
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2015, 08:18:30 AM »
There's the engine limitation that doesn't allow you to grant extra spell slots to both classes without coming with some weird quirks. Though in this particular case it shouldn't be a big issue.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
Yeah there's no spellslots on either robe, it's just feats that both wizards and sorcerers are capable of using.

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2015, 08:40:49 PM »
Good new items need to be made to close the gap, or new versions that aren't arbitrarily restricted by class.

Get that creativity going, make some items!

This is where I am stuck. I would like to create some items, but I don't want to create items that are only superficially different from items already available to sorcerers. Wouldn't it be wasteful to make a set of robes for wizard only that gave them access to automatic still, silent, or quicken spell when we already have similar items that should be available to them?

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 08:45:59 PM by Indigocell »