Author Topic: Is there a reason why these robes are sorcerer only?  (Read 9943 times)

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
Re: Is there a reason why these robes are sorcerer only?
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 10:05:06 PM »
You can wear them on a wizard if you have umd ._.''

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
This is very true. It would be cool if the item was available to all wizards and not just crossclassed wizards though.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2015, 12:44:44 AM »

Here is the problem....just I don't know a weee bit problematic but... Wizards fon't get UMD... XD

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 02:25:30 AM »

Here is the problem....just I don't know a weee bit problematic but... Wizards fon't get UMD... XD

They mean a multi classed wizard Syl ;)
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

dark_majico

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 04:02:05 AM »
But yeah the fact the robes are sorc restricted is rather, tedious.... maybe us Wizards can get a cool items like.... RObes of the dissapearing act. 15% change on hit to cast level 3 invisability at the cost of [insert skill here]  not saying these robes neet do truely be made but just some random idea that came to mind. or instead of invis make it 25% chance of putting the wearer under stoneskin that only has like umm.. whats the minimum stone skin... 20-50?

Wizards get Justacorps which sorcerers don't so its not as if sorcerers are the only spell casting class getting attention when it comes to items.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 04:14:46 AM »
One coat to half a dozen robes.

Eh. . .

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 04:21:58 AM »
Justaucorps aren't nearly as useful though imo, but overall I think there are about as many class specific robes as there are robes either class can use. The thing is the Red, White and Black robes are all essentially the same robes with different alignment usages and other small variations-the auto 1 robes sorces get are each unique in function and something that both classes would benefit from, and sorces get some sorc spell slot robes that are pretty much the same as the ones wizards get anyway.

Let's see, wizards get
White Robes of the Solinari
Red Robes of the Lunitari
Black Robes of the Nuitari
(I probably mispelled and mixed some of those up but you get it)
Justaucorps
Red Wizard Robes (or something like that)

Sorcerers get
Lesser Robes of Wonderous Weaving
Robes of Wonderous Weaving
Sorcerers Robes
Robes of Muted Action
Robes of Transcendental Thought
Robes of ....something something, one of the auto 1 robes

Then there are all the robes that either of them can use

I might have left out some or mixed some up but that's as best I could do from memory  :lol:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:24:41 AM by McNastea »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 07:52:32 AM »

They mean a multi classed wizard Syl ;)

But you lose so many... useful spells and spellslots.... * cires* I love my 9th level spells

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 12:20:55 PM »
Actually I was reviewing sorc/wiz items, there is an item comparable to the justaucorps available to sorcerers. As well, Sorcerers get the Shukenja helm, while wizards get a spellbook. I think there is one balance issue sorcerers could bring up though-- The sorcerer spell slot necklace is female only, the wizard one has no use restrictions.

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:24 PM »
Yeah, it was an issue when I made the original arcane caster amulets.  I do think the sorcerer amulet should be available to anyone, even if it is an amulet of the female magic goddess of the Akiri, whose followers tend to be exclusively female if I recall.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2015, 12:29:11 PM »
Well, the shukenja helm gives more spell slots including higher lvl ones than the spell book-sorcerers also get spell slot 1 rings and wizards don't

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2015, 12:34:13 PM »
Yeah, I think this dick-waving contest as to who has better gear is sort of pointless. Spell slot gear is meh, there's lots of it for both classes. The thing is the gear is on different slots. It used to be back when the justaucorps was the only decent wizard item, you could tell who was a wizard by if they were wearing that particular coat. Now, it's holding a book ALL THE TIME.

To me, what stands out about the robes of transcendental thought/stasis/muted actions is they give you a feat that changes how you cast. They're along the lines of the adventurer robes, which provide some defense bonuses. That's something that I think should be available to everyone.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
Yeah, I think this dick-waving contest as to who has better gear is sort of pointless. Spell slot gear is meh, there's lots of it for both classes. The thing is the gear is on different slots. It used to be back when the justaucorps was the only decent wizard item, you could tell who was a wizard by if they were wearing that particular coat. Now, it's holding a book ALL THE TIME.

To me, what stands out about the robes of transcendental thought/stasis/muted actions is they give you a feat that changes how you cast. They're along the lines of the adventurer robes, which provide some defense bonuses. That's something that I think should be available to everyone.

I agree on that, in my own convoluted way that was the point I was trying to make  :lol: Just listing the different robes and pointing out why they might only be available to sorcerers and why I think should be available to casters in general.

And I agree Syl, I don't like multi-classing mages, or any casters really (except maybe druids), but that's because when I play a caster I'm going for making them the best caster they can be. But there can be some pretty nice benefits to multi-classing them, just depends what exactly it is you wanna do with them.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 02:32:43 PM by McNastea »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2015, 02:40:11 PM »
SOme multi classiing is good.. like a cleric BG combo or Champ combo..

Wizards normally go great with AA and fighter if you want combat skills from a distance.

[Sorry I got off topic heh]

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2015, 07:24:42 PM »
It does seem odd to me when one of the fundamentals of item design is to avoid items that have limited useability. I see no good reason why Wizards should not be able to use these robes as well.

Would it be easier to change the items we already have or would it be better to design Wizard variants of such items?

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2015, 07:43:05 PM »
It does seem odd to me when one of the fundamentals of item design is to avoid items that have limited useability. I see no good reason why Wizards should not be able to use these robes as well.

Would it be easier to change the items we already have or would it be better to design Wizard variants of such items?
Personally, I'd rather see these robes changed rather than new robes added. Having the same item but for different classes makes dungeon loot more frustrating.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2015, 07:46:21 PM »
But yeah the fact the robes are sorc restricted is rather, tedious.... maybe us Wizards can get a cool items like.... RObes of the dissapearing act. 15% change on hit to cast level 3 invisability at the cost of [insert skill here]  not saying these robes neet do truely be made but just some random idea that came to mind. or instead of invis make it 25% chance of putting the wearer under stoneskin that only has like umm.. whats the minimum stone skin... 20-50?

Wizards get Justacorps which sorcerers don't so its not as if sorcerers are the only spell casting class getting attention when it comes to items.

Justacorps are kinda really terrible though. 2nd circle isn't that big a deal.
: )

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2015, 08:57:20 PM »
The justaucorps provide a few bonuses that the other spell slot only robes don't give, they give 1 AC and 1 vs mind effecting saves. Sorcerers have a kind of similar item, the robes of wondrous weaving. It's +1 AC, but gives a bonus spell to levels 1 and 3. In my mind, the purpose of these robes is part way between the robes of sorcery/wizardry and the adventurer robes. They're part defensive, but also have spell slots.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »
Personally, I'd rather see these robes changed rather than new robes added. Having the same item but for different classes makes dungeon loot more frustrating.

I would echo this. There is already a lot of junk loot to be found in dungeons, I would rather see an increase in drops that are a bit more useful to players and less items with very specific requirements.

Xarnata_Mobile

« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2015, 06:07:29 PM »
In my honest opinion: Wizards are learning casters, how would the robes give an understanding of HOW to cast in that manner without a second thought? A sorcerer just knows. This does NOT mean they understand their powers. The robes could alter their casting due to this fact. That doesn't mean a book couldn't teach a wizard this and be cursed to strip the knowledge when closed but a robe? Wizards unite in versatility, not fashion. pick up a book! XD

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
In my honest opinion: Wizards are learning casters, how would the robes give an understanding of HOW to cast in that manner without a second thought? A sorcerer just knows. This does NOT mean they understand their powers. The robes could alter their casting due to this fact. That doesn't mean a book couldn't teach a wizard this and be cursed to strip the knowledge when closed but a robe? Wizards unite in versatility, not fashion. pick up a book! XD

Yet we have Robes of Wizardry and the various Evil/Good/Neutral ones that give spell slots, with the names I can never spell.

I see where you are coming from, but I see it as Sorc. robes boosting innate potential, whereas Wizard robes have more pockets for components! Or something like that.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2015, 07:29:02 PM »
The robes themselves are magical-that's how they are able to learn these things just by wearing them. Sorcerers don't get these robes because it just makes sense that a sorcerer would be able to randomly, without taking the feat, be able to do these things. The robes magically give the wearing that ability

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
I would like to add that i don't think we can count any of the above items that can't have their appearance crafted. Reason being is they don't mesh with your characters mojo so they don't get used.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2015, 05:26:03 AM »
I would like to add that i don't think we can count any of the above items that can't have their appearance crafted. Reason being is they don't mesh with your characters mojo so they don't get used.

There is a lot of truth to that. I don't know how many or which of these robes this applies for, but I know that a lot of players do not use any armour of which the appearance can't be modified.
I would maybe make an exception for something like a hat or headslot item, as long as it can be dyed. But I basically consider cloth armour items that can't be dyed or modified to be vendor trash.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 05:30:20 AM by Feronius »

Xarnata_Mobile

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »

Yet we have Robes of Wizardry and the various Evil/Good/Neutral ones that give spell slots, with the names I can never spell.

I see where you are coming from, but I see it as Sorc. robes boosting innate potential, whereas Wizard robes have more pockets for components! Or something like that.

How darest thou summarize my written works of absolute awesomeness XD