Author Topic: Help?  (Read 6542 times)

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
Help?
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:45:29 AM »
 So I was returning from a trip with some companions yesterday and I accidentally clicked on a body while moving forward. I crashed. This is not unfamiliar to me however, I have always been able to log right back on. Until now.

Now I get the evil server is offline appearance in favorites/history and when I attempt to direct connect it  I get the dreaded "server not responding.. timed out" bit.

I have of course uninstalled and re installed Neverwinter nights again. Re-downloaded and installed the patch and cep ect.. (again)

I have checked all my security settings ect.

Are there any computer gurues here that may have some suggestions to try to reconnect again?

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
Re: Help?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:58:01 AM »
I've had that problem once, I crashed and then I couldn't connect to any server for some reason. I did like you and reinstalled my game and everything and it still wouldn't work. I figured it was my network (damn that thing) so I reset my router to factory and had to setup everything back. (If you do that configure it yourself, default setting kinda s***) After that everything was working fine and I was able to play again.
Happened twice, I tried everything I knew but the only solution seemed to be resetting the router.

Hope it'll help,  :mrgreen:
wait before doing cause someone is probably going to come up with something more simple then that lol
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:11:47 AM »
 Ah, good advice.
 I did restart my router though.
 Still no luck.
 Anyone else?

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:23:05 AM »
Obviously here the problem doesn't come from the game or your network.
The problem either come from your computer or your router, since you can't see the server status it is likely that something in your security setting have been change and it's blocking something, re-check your security setting (firewall, router setting), check everything again you you might have forgot something.

I'll see if I can find something about that issue you have and see if I can come with something else. I know a few people who are much better then me in networking and the stuff :P

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 09:29:51 AM by Iluvatar »
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:15 PM »
 I thought it was security too.. First thing I checked. I turned off the firewall to check and Im not finding anything else on the computer that would obstruct connection. Still open for suggestions.

thank you so much for your time and consideration <3

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 06:16:53 PM »
Hold the windows key (the one with a flag) then press R, this will open a pop up.

In there type: cmd
A black window will appear, in there type: ipconfig /flushdns

Try connecting again.

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 04:28:14 PM »
 Thank you. I tried that just now and it did not work. <3 Good advice though keep em coming.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 04:41:57 PM »
Perhaps more information on your setup, specifications and network settings would be useful to whichever tech wiz that may read this thread?

Personally I'm not all that tech-savvy, the only suggestion I have is to launch / run the game as administrator if you have not done so already.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 05:07:38 PM »
Try a factory settings restores in your modem/router. Not just the classic "turn off and on".

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »
Try to do a direct connect via your command line.  Copy-Paste the following into the Run command:

C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN\nwmain.exe +connect [whatever the number is]

(Be sure to change that hard drive and folder designation if your Neverwinter Nights installation is located on a different drive or folder.  FYI, Windows 7 disables the run command by default, but you can turn it back on in your control panel options (I think it is the "appearance" and "start menu" tabs).

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Blight

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 02:28:15 AM »
Ive had this happen a lot. At my house, I have both my router as well as a wifi extender (Wifi 2), which is connected to the first router (Wifi 1).  If this problem ever happens on the connection I am using, switching to the other seems to fix the problem.
Just another lesson from the School of Hard Knocks... PHD!

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:01:47 AM »
Try a factory settings restores in your modem/router. Not just the classic "turn off and on".

I had the same problem a while ago, only a factory reset of my router solved the problem
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 08:39:13 AM »
 I did the equivalent of a factory reset of my G4 hotspot I have been using for months now... No luck.

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
 Attempted the connect via the run command.
 Result - Neverwinter Nights has stopped working ... ect

I have a computer tech guy coming tomorrow afternoon .. but i would rather save some money if we can find a solution before then lol.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 08:52:55 AM »
I used to get that a lot if I skipped through the intro videos (cinematic trailer, logos, etc.) too fast. Highly doubt that's your issue though.

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 10:11:44 AM »
Do you have any other internet issue on your computer, other game not working when trying to get online stuff like that??
Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »
This thread has made me so paranoid...

Every time I crash I'm like "NOOOO I DON'T WANNA HAVE TO RESTART MY ROUTER"...
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:55 AM »
OP needs Jesus.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 11:23:50 AM »
OP needs Jesus.
Or the Aesir and Vanir
Or the Netjer
Or the Theoi
Or the Tuatha Dé Danann

Chaoshawk

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 01:58:09 PM »
I had this happen to me yesterday and just restarting my computer made it work again.
"In all chaos there is a cosmos, in all disorder a secret order."

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2015, 09:53:04 PM »
Try this as a diagnostic tool:

1: open the run menu
2: type: cmd <enter>
3: in the cmd-window, type: ping [DNS number] <enter>
4: watch the output.

See what feedback you get, if you do a successful ping, then there is nothing wrong with your connection, but something is blocking your running of NWN.  In that case, it may be a firewall issue or an antivirus issue.  Screenshot the feedback you get and post it, and folks may be able to help.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 08:59:52 AM »
 Iluvatar - No other problems with my computer or internet connection at all. It just simply refuses to acknowledge that every neverwinter nights server I have tried are online anymore.

Merry Munchkin - The result was "ping request could not find hoste~"  Perhaps I have the wrong DNS number now somehow?

Iluvatar / Madness

• Ex-Community Council
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • The Madness
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
Iluvatar - No other problems with my computer or internet connection at all. It just simply refuses to acknowledge that every neverwinter nights server I have tried are online anymore.
I'd say it's a problem with your firewall since everthing is working fine, create custom rule in your firewall to be sure that NWN is allowed to communicate and an other one to allow access to NWN port.

Firewall Information
--------------------

If you are trying to connect to a Neverwinter Nights server through a firewall, NAT, or router, here is some information for you to help you get connected. First, please read the manual that came with your firewall or router.

Neverwinter Nights uses UDP, not TCP for its connections.

If you think that your firewall is preventing you from connecting to the game servers, please make sure that the following ports are open:

Ports 5120 through 5300

If you are wanting to make sure that your NAT is set up to allow the game to play here are some details:

Outgoing packets:
Source port: 5120-5129
Destination port: 5121-5300

Incoming packets:
Source port: 5121-5300
Destination port: 5120-5129

On the Game Client side, you can select what port your client uses. Go to your nwnplayer.ini file in your NWN Client Beta install directory. Find the following section:

[Profile]
Client Port=5120

Change this number if you need to force Neverwinter Nights to connect as a client on a different port.

Gamespy
-------

If you want to get a server listing via GameSpy, you’ll need additional ports to be open: 6667, 80, 27900, 28900, 29900, 29901, 13139, 6500

Try opening these port by making a custom rule on your firewall

Iluvatar
Iluvatar-2
Iluvatar NCE
Madness

GossamerHope

• New to the Mists
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2015, 06:40:09 PM »
Whoa, I hate to appear the idiot I probably am but you lost me at Nat.. Also,  I've not had issues with my firewall and never winter nights up to this point however I have made sure that windows firewall always let's never winter nights through.. Beyond that I am stumped. 

Its a desktop Hp 18 all in one..windows 8 My internet  connection is my Samsung G5 sports hotspot via sprint who I have called and we did a remote reset thing which is the equivalent of a factory reset of a router apparently  which did not work.

My computer guy rescheduled for next week..  :( I am almost tempted to pay the geek squad to help me fix this remotely.

This weekend I will also be trying a Dsl connection when the equipment arrives... For a month or so until I get cable internet  here.

Meanwhile I'd be happy to try the above... But I might need a better idea of exactly what it all means. <3

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2015, 07:31:39 PM »
Try seeing if you can connect in "safe mode"

Reboot your computer and hold down the F8 key while it is booting up.

Select Safe Mode with Networking from the list of options.

Test the connection, using the ping method I mentioned above. If you are able to successfully ping the server, then the problem definitely lies with a program running on your computer.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP