You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Woodcutting  (Read 1671 times)

WarJob

• New to the Mists
Woodcutting
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:05:12 PM »
I am trying to gather wood, and it has been bothering me. It takes forever to gather wood, and I cannot use the Woodcutter's Axe without proficiency. Am I doing something wrong?

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
Re: Woodcutting
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
I am trying to gather wood, and it has been bothering me. It takes forever to gather wood, and I cannot use the Woodcutter's Axe without proficiency. Am I doing something wrong?

The axe is a handaxe, so it requires martial, monk, or rogue weapon proficiency to use.  Also, you have to keep whacking away at a tree in order to get wood to drop -- I believe the stronger you are, the easier it is to get wood to drop.  If you are having difficulty, try chopping up young trees instead of regular ones.  It is a time-consuming, boring slog to chop up trees for wood -- but not that much different from the long, boring, time-consuming slog that many other crafts require (like mining, for example).  I gave up on carpentry myself, but perhaps someone else here knows of possible shortcuts.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

WarJob

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:36:24 PM »
Another thing, why is it that the DR for hitting it with an Axe is the same as hitting it with a sword. Shouldn't Axes be more effective? The best results I have been able to yield is with a Longsword. That's awkward roleplay.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:39 AM »
Another thing, why is it that the DR for hitting it with an Axe is the same as hitting it with a sword. Shouldn't Axes be more effective? The best results I have been able to yield is with a Longsword. That's awkward roleplay.

An axe is actually more effective in cutting down trees when you factor in crits. an axe has a X3 multiplier while a sword only has X2. Granted its not much but trees don't ignore critical hits so scoring a critical hit or two on a tree with an axe will yield allot more material sooner than with a sword.

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
I'd like to see a greataxe version of the lumber axe.