You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Area - Harvest Temple, Har'Akir - Feedback  (Read 2596 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Area - Harvest Temple, Har'Akir - Feedback
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »
Went to do the Harvest Temple dungeon yesterday for the first time with a nicely sized group of the right level. I think the dungeon was on high spawn.

First Impressions / Summary

When you walk up to the temple the area looks great, there's a nice encounter with undead outside, and the lore behind the cursed temple is fantastic.
I also appreciated how the dungeon starts off by introducing you to a puzzle element first and does not overwhelm you with hostile spawns right away.

I think our party consisted of 5 characters between level 9 and 12 or 13. We were well prepared and managed to clear the entire temple with relative ease, we somewhat struggled with one group that had a lot of casters (multiple area of effect spells), but that was mostly a screw up on our end because we drew their aggro too soon and had positioned ourselves poorly. It was a pretty fun dungeon, lots of opportunity to roleplay, and we managed to make it through the entire dungeon without any deaths.
And then we went into the basement...

Basement

This is the main reason I am making this thread, the difficulty level of the basement is very disproportionate to the rest of the dungeon.

As soon as we went into the basement we immediately drew the aggro of over 20 ancient mummies, I counted at least a dozen of Priest and Lord spawns. There was also a named enemy (boss spawn?) there, but I am not sure if he actually managed to join the fight because the room was incredibly overcrowded, despite the relatively wide corridor. Most of the enemies were capable of ranged spells, so this was still mainly to our disadvantage and we were instantly pinned down. My character did not even make it off the steps.

Before all of our party members had even made it through the transition we already got targetted by several long range AoE spells that both stun and blind your character. I could not tell how many spells I actually got hit by, but the effects lasted over 20 seconds on my character, I was essentially stunlocked and blinded from right after I set foot in the room until the moment I died. Did not have a clue what was happening. I did have a bunch of potions on me to counter the CC / disables, but from what I did see we all got stunlocked at the entrance by the several high DC AoE spells within seconds, so I never had a chance to use any of them.

Because there was so much AoE and so little room (we were already fighting with our backs against the door from the moment we entered the room) we also all got corpsed or dropped to -9 pretty much right away by all of the AoE. One person did manage to escape and get back through the transition in time. The problem was that as soon as he went out into the hall leading towards the basement he said another 5 Ancient Mummy Lords spawned there right away and eliminated any chance of recovering the remaining bodies.

When I mentioned this dungeon to some people on Skype, a chat group with some of my faction members in it who are more experienced with higher level dungeons than I am, I immediately got responses from about five different people all telling me that the last room in the dungeon is notorious for having absurdly strong spawns. From what they told me the spawns in the basement are sometimes so hard that even a level 20 can struggle with it, you basically need to bring a high level caster with you just for that last room so you can have the caster clear out the mummies by casting lots of empowered AoE fire spells.

Fortunately we managed to find two high levels, including a high level cleric, that were willing to come save our dead bodies. But even with the cleric's help we still had to retreat several times and use high level fire spell scrolls on top of the high level cleric AoE spells before we managed to clear the room. This last room just seemed to be on a completely different (difficulty) level than the rest of the dungeon.

In short, I think it would be good if the spawns in the basement were adjusted to be more in line with the difficulty level of the rest of the dungeon.
Toning down the number of casters a bit or moving the spawns a bit further away from the door to allow your party members to transition into the room first, without getting aggro as soon as they walk down the steps, should already make a world of difference. Alternatively you could also achieve this by making the rest of the dungeon more difficult instead. Either method would help to make the overall difficulty level of the dungeon feel a little bit more cohesive.

Those respawn / ambush triggers after coming out of the basement, our rogue thought it might have been related to the opening and closing of doors, also seemed really unnecessary and a little bit overkill if you ask, regardless of the difficulty level of the dungeon as a whole. But that is just my completely subjective, personal opinion. I suppose I am one of those players who prefers it when the final boss fight is truly the final encounter in a dungeon.

Overall

Overall the dungeon run was fantastic, I absolutely loved the puzzle element and the bits of Egyptian (or Akiri) lore spread throughout the temple.
It was quite a long dungeon, I am not sure if six halls were really necessary, but there was at least some variety between the different hallways.

Loving the traps as well, especially when I accidentally triggered one and those huge axes suddenly came swinging from the ceiling. Very cool trap. There were a few traps with extremely high DCs that we could not remove, but they did not instantly kill a prepared group so they should be manageable for any level appropriate group. All of the locks were doable as well, at least for a party that brings a locksmith and some thieves' tools.
The reward from the dungeon (both in terms of XP gain and the loot / profit) seemed alright considering the difficulty and length of the dungeon.

All of the hostile spawns up to the basement (including the ambush spawns) were challenging and seemed to gradually get a little tougher, but they were doable.
The basement area was the only real issue, I figured it would be useful if someone made a feedback thread as this seems to have been a problem area for a while.

Hopefully this feedback turns out to be useful and, as always, keep up the good work.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:28:14 AM by Feronius »

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
Re: Area - Harvest Temple, Har'Akir - Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 01:54:54 PM »
I don't think the basement should be toned down at all. Enter at your own risk.

By the way, the spell that "stunlocked" you is Word of Faith. It blinds all targets, unless you have enough SR, and stuns any targets below lvl 12. It will also kill targets that are like lvl 5 or lower I think.

Anyway you don't need a mage to timestop that room to beat it. I've beat it lots of times without a mage using timestop even around the level you're talking about. I also solo'd it a couple times when I was at a higher lvl and feeling crazy.

Take some time to think about what the enemies are going to use against you and prepare for that, work out some strategy and remember; If you're too low level to not get stunned by WoF, you're gonna have a bad time  :lol:
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:56:09 PM »
So in short, just bring higher level players along that have been there before. That does not really sound like much of a strategy to me, but fair enough. It seems to be the go-to strategy on this server.

That still leaves the fact that the difficulty level of the last room is incredibly disproportionate compared to the rest of the dungeon (or the other way around, making the rest of the dungeon harder.)

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »
Actually, the spawn lvl you encountered sounds like it was maxed and was way above what you (if WoF is still stunning you) are prepared to handle. So in that instance would higher lvl players help? Well yeah.. you're not strong enough to face that yet bud. Either bring higher lvl friends if you wanna fight stuff that is beyond you or fight stuff your lvl.

I have a hard time believing you thought the rest of the temple was so easy, considering there are three other rooms on that spawn lvl that house many ancient lords that will also stun and spam negative energy, death magic and hammer of the gods on top of you while you sit there helpless. Either you used better strategy in those cases, or the temple is still bugged and you didn't face the full spawn on the first floor.

Either way, I think it would be a shame to make that temple easier. I started going there when I was around that level and we struggled with it terribly and died a lot and slowly learned to handle it  ourselves and it was a lot of fun even when we got wiped. You recover and go back and try again when you're ready. We didn't go ask higher levels for help but if that's what you think your only option is then go for it, it does work.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
yeah I've been down there many times.. if there is 20+ aicnents and a named fella in the back.. Say hello to max spawn. LOL

Tip... BURN EVERYTHING!!!

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 05:33:37 PM »
Well, like I said, it is also a possibility to just make the rest of the temple harder. My only point of criticism was just that the difficulty level of that one room was not in line with the rest of the dungeon.

I don't know about any bugs related to the place, it was my first time there, but I think we only encountered Ancient Mummy Priest spawns in the rest of the dungeon. Those were beatable.
Someone said that they had once seen the last room completely filled with only Ancient Mummy Lord spawns and the named fella, so apparently it might not even have been on max spawn yet.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 06:50:42 PM »
If the boss man was there it was at least very close, and if you didn't see any other lords beforehand I'd be inclined to think that there's still an issue with the rest of the spawns.

If, once you open the doors in the halls iwth the figurine, you close them and open them again-the rest will spawn for some reason. They used to be fine but last I knew this was still an issue for whatever reason. The basement is by far the hardest part of the dungeon but the rest shouldn't be a breeze comparatively. You'll still have a few tough ones. Namely; the first room down the jackal figurine hall and both the rooms through the middle hall doorways. Lots of ancient lords there on high spawn and they do the same thing as in the basement, you just have more room to get out of their LoS to keep them from casting at you whereas the basement is open

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 07:01:31 PM »
I think this could be said about a lot of the dungeons on the server, but it should be anticipated when heading into a final battle. Yes, the first time you go its unfortunate to learn the lesson the hard way, but tis life. Honestly, the best approach down there is loading up with spellcasters with lots of fire spells on quickslots. Firestorm, flame strike, sunburst, and firebrand and your friend down there.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 06:48:52 AM »
That's the easiest way yeah. It's very possible to pull off with a bunch of fighter types as well though

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 11:24:35 AM »
Well, like I said, it is also a possibility to just make the rest of the temple harder. My only point of criticism was just that the difficulty level of that one room was not in line with the rest of the dungeon.

I don't know about any bugs related to the place, it was my first time there, but I think we only encountered Ancient Mummy Priest spawns in the rest of the dungeon. Those were beatable.
Someone said that they had once seen the last room completely filled with only Ancient Mummy Lord spawns and the named fella, so apparently it might not even have been on max spawn yet.

That temple is very hard on max spawn in two spots... those middle rows have aincent lords and they have destruction spells and harm... and can dispel you  if you have to many on you your fosed.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2015, 11:29:58 AM »
As far as I recall there were no Ancient Mummy Lord spawns anywhere, not until we got to the basement which had around 6.
I do not remember seeing any stun or blind effects at least. Or we must have killed them very quickly, but that seems unlikely.

So it must not have been on max spawn yet. Or perhaps it is that bugged spawn thing McNastea mentioned? I don't know.

Night Archon

• Outlander
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 12:34:09 PM »
If, once you open the doors in the halls with the figurine, you close them and open them again-the rest will spawn for some reason. They used to be fine but last I knew this was still an issue for whatever reason.

Confirmed, this is still an issue.  I ninja'ed three corpses out from the basement, back to main floor and closed the last figurine door.  Sooner than I knew it, my character was sneaking among a new spawn of Ancient Mummy Warriors and Priests who made their mission to guard remaining two corpses (our cleric was successfully revived). 
Active: Marcello , R.V.T

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
If, once you open the doors in the halls with the figurine, you close them and open them again-the rest will spawn for some reason. They used to be fine but last I knew this was still an issue for whatever reason.

Confirmed, this is still an issue.  I ninja'ed three corpses out from the basement, back to main floor and closed the last figurine door.  Sooner than I knew it, my character was sneaking among a new spawn of Ancient Mummy Warriors and Priests who made their mission to guard remaining two corpses (our cleric was successfully revived). 

Well, there ya go-this bug drastically drops the difficulty of the dungeon. You would have encountered like 4 or 5 other spots with lords and a lot more priests before you ever got to the basement otherwise. That boss man in the basement only comes out on high spawn.

noah25

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:54 PM »
And frankly I would much rather fight the boss than the lords anyways :) If you dont know what you are doing those Lords will drop you really fast.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 08:12:48 AM »
And frankly I would much rather fight the boss than the lords anyways :) If you dont know what you are doing those Lords will drop you really fast.

I would not even have noticed there even was a boss if I had not spotted there being one named mob after I had already died.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »

I would not even have noticed there even was a boss if I had not spotted there being one named mob after I had already died.

Hehehe yeah he isn't that hard to spot... he is the only one that doesn't look like he is in bandages... Fully robes and everything