Author Topic: Frivolous and unbalanced items  (Read 39819 times)

de_reguer

• Undead Slayer
Re: Frivolous and unbalanced items
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 09:07:02 AM »
On the subject of spyglass... WHY does it weigh...what was it.. 3 lbs? or is that the mangnifying glass i'm thinking of that weighs WAY more then it truely does..

Probably both. I know some of the cosmetic off-hand items have a minor weight reduction, I think the Pipe item was also reduced from 3.0lbs to something like 2.4lbs.

Still that seems heavy!.. I think i held my grandpa's pipe and it didn't even weigh that much.

A regular sized Dwarven Rune Shield weighs 115 pounds. Thats almost 3x as much as an off the shelf tower shield for a bonus of +1 AC and 12(?) MR.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:01 AM »
The Ninja-To says in the description that it is supposed to be 1/3rd of a katana's length, but the model uses an almost katana-sized blade.
Instead of using option 22 for the top, middle and bottom parts, it would be more accurate if it used 21, which is a slightly shorter version.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »
Not sure this is the right place to post this, but a pretty big draw that whips used to have was that they gave you the disarm feat. Well, on here everyone has disarm anyway so that part of a whip is pretty useless. What if they had imp disarm on them?
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2015, 12:17:26 PM »
Not sure this is the right place to post this, but a pretty big draw that whips used to have was that they gave you the disarm feat. Well, on here everyone has disarm anyway so that part of a whip is pretty useless. What if they had imp disarm on them?

Or maybe change it to a disarm on hit?!!?

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »

Or maybe change it to a disarm on hit?!!?

That would be way too overpowered. Then you'd have a disarm attack on top of a normal attack in the same hit? The Improved Disarm feat is a good idea though.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »
How is it over powered exactly? if you want to talk about OP try being disarmed by a unarmed person and they automaticlly get your weapon.... which i find tottaly awesome and OP all the same lol

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 11:19:06 PM »
The Besimore (The dispelling magic broom) and the Dispel Magic Ring both have DCs checks of 5 or thereabouts. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how dispel works or if anything else interacts with the base DC but that seems to be pretty much useless for its intent of stripping magic off a spell caster unless their still in their diapers. Their both relatively rare high(ish) loot items that are functionally vendor garbage simply due to the trash DC. Correct me if I'm wrong about these.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2015, 12:52:39 AM »
The Besimore (The dispelling magic broom) and the Dispel Magic Ring both have DCs checks of 5 or thereabouts. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how dispel works or if anything else interacts with the base DC but that seems to be pretty much useless for its intent of stripping magic off a spell caster unless their still in their diapers. Their both relatively rare high(ish) loot items that are functionally vendor garbage simply due to the trash DC. Correct me if I'm wrong about these.

Is it an actual dispel check of 5, or do the items have a caster level of 5?  There is a difference, because normally when you cast dispel magic, it is a d20 + caster level, and every item is given an effective caster level.  A default wand of dispel magic, for example, should list a caster level of 10. 

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2015, 01:24:30 PM »

Is it an actual dispel check of 5, or do the items have a caster level of 5?  There is a difference, because normally when you cast dispel magic, it is a d20 + caster level, and every item is given an effective caster level.  A default wand of dispel magic, for example, should list a caster level of 10. 

Yeah I think its caster level, and I might be mis-remembering the level on either the ring or the broom, but both strike me as low given where you commonly find them. Both are relatively high-ish loot items but the caster level is functionally useless for where you would find them. Its kind of the equivalent of finding a sword that does massive crits to the undead.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »

Yeah I think its caster level, and I might be mis-remembering the level on either the ring or the broom, but both strike me as low given where you commonly find them. Both are relatively high-ish loot items but the caster level is functionally useless for where you would find them. Its kind of the equivalent of finding a sword that does massive crits to the undead.

You are right about the DC being rather low.  Since the DC for dispelling spells is 12 + opposing caster level, those items basically have a 50/50 shot at dispelling the wards of a 4th level caster, and it just gets worse from there.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

whatdoesitmater

• New to the Mists
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2015, 05:49:03 PM »
So this is just weird: The new Silver bar that drops is 10.5 lbs, has the description of a pure bar of silver, Petre sells it for 43 gold, when he has them. A silver ring, 0.1 lbs, Petre sells for 106 fang. Since silver rings are really only formed silver, nothing too special, a silver bar should be sold for 11,130 gold.

dark_majico

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 06:00:30 PM »
Ive seen a "Masterwork War Fan" (it's blue in colour) being sold by merchants, it has no enhancements to it what so ever, its is exactly the same as a mundane War Fan.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 06:20:54 PM »
Ive seen a "Masterwork War Fan" (it's blue in colour) being sold by merchants, it has no enhancements to it what so ever, its is exactly the same as a mundane War Fan.

They drop from hostile mobs as well, some of the thugs in Port-A-Lucine drop them for example. I meant to report it a while back, but completely forgot about it.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2015, 06:45:57 PM »
So this is just weird: The new Silver bar that drops is 10.5 lbs, has the description of a pure bar of silver, Petre sells it for 43 gold, when he has them. A silver ring, 0.1 lbs, Petre sells for 106 fang. Since silver rings are really only formed silver, nothing too special, a silver bar should be sold for 11,130 gold.

I find stuff like that strange too, they're really disappointing items.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »

WHy would just a plain silver bar sell for more then a silver ring? said ring is crafter by a craftsmen and it's price would verie depending on how well it was crafted. Sure it is now formed but would it not hold more value depending on who your selling it to? Now i will say if those bars could be used for crafting that would be nice!

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2015, 09:47:30 AM »
WHy would just a plain silver bar sell for more then a silver ring? said ring is crafter by a craftsmen and it's price would verie depending on how well it was crafted. Sure it is now formed but would it not hold more value depending on who your selling it to? Now i will say if those bars could be used for crafting that would be nice!

This. Out of curiosity, I went and checked the price of silver today; 31 grams (troy ounce) sells for 15$ today; most sterling silver rings don't contain 31 grams of silver and sell for more than 15$. You pay for the craftsmanship, which can range from shoddy to very good.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »

This. Out of curiosity, I went and checked the price of silver today; 31 grams (troy ounce) sells for 15$ today; most sterling silver rings don't contain 31 grams of silver and sell for more than 15$. You pay for the craftsmanship, which can range from shoddy to very good.

kinda what i was trying to point at so thank you for the numbers EO :)

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2015, 11:11:15 PM »

Your math is rock solid, but I think you're missing the relative sizes present in the original post.  Assuming all measurements are troy, a 10.5 (troy) bar has 126 troy ounces.  That should be $1,890 of current value for the bar.  A tiny ring made of nothing but silver, however artfully crafted, probably would not be worth more than a few hundred dollars.  The ring is worth more relative to the amount of silver present in the ring, but a 10.5 pound bar is still a 10.5 pound bar, and should be worth vastly more based on silver content alone.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2015, 12:21:56 AM »
No. Silver in D&D is worth 1/10th the price of gold. Gold is 50 gp per pound.

So a 10 pound bar of gold is 500 gp, and a 10 pound bar of silver is 50 gp.

And as others said, the bars are just the pure metal. Rings have engravings and gemstones set in them, making them works of art that are worth more than just the metal.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2015, 12:08:34 AM »

And as others said, the bars are just the pure metal. Rings have engravings and gemstones set in them, making them works of art that are worth more than just the metal.

Again, the math is fine.  The folks that set up the server can obviously set the arbitrary values of objects at whatever they wish.  Nevertheless, I think the point that the original poster was trying to make is that the valuations don't actually reflect what real-world valuations would be for those objects, relative to one another.  See my post above this one.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2015, 03:13:19 AM »

Again, the math is fine.  The folks that set up the server can obviously set the arbitrary values of objects at whatever they wish.  Nevertheless, I think the point that the original poster was trying to make is that the valuations don't actually reflect what real-world valuations would be for those objects, relative to one another.  See my post above this one.
I know that was the point, but the real-world valuation is irrelevant.

dark_majico

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2015, 03:42:20 AM »

I always thought that a solid silver bar would be worth far more than a ring because the ring although its crafted is a smaller amount of silver. The solid silver bar has the benefit of two things, firstly you can take that silver and form it into whatever you like giving it versitility, and secondly its the medi evil version of a cheque or a bank account. It's a considerable amount of wealth and status symbol in portable form.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
Silver is techically more of a holy thing in old D&D, when my father played first and second edition his palidain never wore gold since that was a symbol of greed.

But yet again for the silver bar it's self back on subject, it's value truely varries depending on where you take it and if they truely need it or not. A vistani I see would have very little use for it unless someone was a silversmith of some kind.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2015, 11:44:23 AM »

I always thought that a solid silver bar would be worth far more than a ring because the ring although its crafted is a smaller amount of silver. The solid silver bar has the benefit of two things, firstly you can take that silver and form it into whatever you like giving it versitility, and secondly its the medi evil version of a cheque or a bank account. It's a considerable amount of wealth and status symbol in portable form.
Again, silver has a set value in D&D rules and isn't worth as much as you think it is.

Copper = 1/100th of gold
Silver = 1/10th of gold
Electrum = 1/2 of gold
Platinum = 10 times that of gold

Silver is valuable, but it will never exceed the value of gold. If you want a symbol of wealth, you want gold or platinum bars.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2015, 11:50:12 AM »
But wasn't that more for like coins and currency? like it takes 10 silver coins to be the same as 1 gold? 100 copper is the same as 1 gold.