Author Topic: New AI behavior when down in combat  (Read 3605 times)

julienchab

New AI behavior when down in combat
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:44:45 AM »
I was wondering if it was intended for AI to keep attacking a PC who is down (hp 0 or less). This started happening when the versions with the new AI behavior were installed. It can be pretty annoying sometimes when you have a 2 or 3 people attacking a worg and the worg keeps attacking the down PC until he dieds and need a raise.

I also noticed that since those patches, AI run after spellcasters/archers until they kill them instead of attacking the warriors who are hitting them and running beside them.

I can be pretty boring when you plan an expedition and someone dies right in the start because the AI decided to attacked the down PC. What is the point in going to -10 before being dead if they keep attacking you when you are in negatives?

Did anyone noticed the same?

Thanks for feedback

poisonivy2

• Undead Slayer
Re: New AI behavior when down in combat
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
I don't think intelligent creatures would act like that, turning their backs to other enemies to insist in a fallen one, but some creatures would. We need to observe if this is a general behavior or if its only present is some species.

In the case of zombies and other flesh-eater mindless creatures is not so unreasonable to think that they will "hit" a fallen character until someone stops them, thats what zombies do hehehe

You mentioned worgs, I know that its mechanically hard for us, but if you watch violent dog attacks, large groups of people kicking and beating the dog with sticks and even metal bars sometimes are not enough to make it give up on its victim... MANY times someone needs to shoot the animal... I dont know if the same applies for wolves, this matter of animal behavior is really complicated, but again is not so unreasonable.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:10:50 PM »
This has always happened during laggy periods. They don't get a chance to acquire a new target and keep attacking until you're corpsed.
: )

julienchab

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 12:26:47 PM »
Thanks for your replies!
I don't think intelligent creatures would act like that, turning their backs to other enemies to insist in a fallen one, but some creatures would. We need to observe if this is a general behavior or if its only present is some species.

In the case of zombies and other flesh-eater mindless creatures is not so unreasonable to think that they will "hit" a fallen character until someone stops them, thats what zombies do hehehe

You mentioned worgs, I know that its mechanically hard for us, but if you watch violent dog attacks, large groups of people kicking and beating the dog with sticks and even metal bars sometimes are not enough to make it give up on its victim... MANY times someone needs to shoot the animal... I dont know if the same applies for wolves, this matter of animal behavior is really complicated, but again is not so unreasonable.

Yes I do agree that some creatures can do it like zombies, but from what I have seen, it's been all creatures that are doing so recently...

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:32:41 PM »

It was changed quite a while back so hostiles would ignore players with 0 or less HP, it has been this way for a long time for like a year or more, I doubt they would revert back intentionally and call it more intelligent creatures.

julienchab

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »

It was changed quite a while back so hostiles would ignore players with 0 or less HP, it has been this way for a long time for like a year or more, I doubt they would revert back intentionally and call it more intelligent creatures.

That's what I thought because it had always been this way since I played on ther server (around 5 months) maybe a bug I should report?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 04:29:49 PM »
I've made a note of it and will see what's up :)

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 06:37:02 PM »
They can also sometimes unintentionally attack a fallen character with a kleve attack if their fighting someone next to a down character. I've actually gotten killed that way during NCW in the ML crypts. Also sometimes if the server is laggy they'll keep attacking after a character is down.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 06:45:39 PM by respawnaholic »

dark_majico

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 03:33:57 AM »
They can also sometimes unintentionally attack a fallen character with a kleve attack if their fighting someone next to a down character. I've actually gotten killed that way during NCW in the ML crypts. Also sometimes if the server is laggy they'll keep attacking after a character is down.

Cleave

Type of feat: general
Prerequisite: strength 13+, power attack
Required for: great cleave, blackguard

Specifics: If the character kills an opponent, he gets a free attack against any opponent who is within melee weapon range.

Use: automatic
Special: Monks receive this feat at first level.

---

This is caused by the fallen character being hostile to the NPC, NWN does not take into account if you are 0 HP or lower, it just sees your hostile and as such your a valid target. It's not really a bug, but should get cleared up with a fix as players 0 HP or lower switch to neutral.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 12:38:01 AM »

That's what I thought because it had always been this way since I played on ther server (around 5 months) maybe a bug I should report?

Is this happening with monsters that have more than one attack per round, or with only one attack?  It may be that monsters with multiple attacks have targeted a character and are finishing all the attacks in their flurry, before changing targets?  All the attack rolls in a give flurry get resolved simultaneously, before damage rolls are calculated, so dealing with multiple attacks per round can potentially result in "overkill".

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

julienchab

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 11:08:24 AM »

Is this happening with monsters that have more than one attack per round, or with only one attack?  It may be that monsters with multiple attacks have targeted a character and are finishing all the attacks in their flurry, before changing targets?  All the attack rolls in a give flurry get resolved simultaneously, before damage rolls are calculated, so dealing with multiple attacks per round can potentially result in "overkill".

It is, but I understand why it's like that and the post isn't about this. It's more AI continuing to attack PC during several rounds when they are downed even if there is other PC hitting them.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 09:19:52 AM »

Is this happening with monsters that have more than one attack per round, or with only one attack?  It may be that monsters with multiple attacks have targeted a character and are finishing all the attacks in their flurry, before changing targets?  All the attack rolls in a give flurry get resolved simultaneously, before damage rolls are calculated, so dealing with multiple attacks per round can potentially result in "overkill".

Yeah this is more in the vein of monsters attacking a downed character when they shouldn't. The last time it happened to me was during NCW where I was laying in the ml tombs bleeding out and the skeleton knights used a cleave attack on me after dropping someone they were fighting who just happened to be standing next to me. I should point out for clarity when they did this I had been laying there for several minutes and they had left me alone like they should have. I'm ASSUMING it was a cleave attack since that makes more sense than a skeleton knight just randomly and for no reason attacked a downed character who had been doing nothing but lie there for several minutes.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:48:38 AM »

Is this happening with monsters that have more than one attack per round, or with only one attack?  It may be that monsters with multiple attacks have targeted a character and are finishing all the attacks in their flurry, before changing targets?  All the attack rolls in a give flurry get resolved simultaneously, before damage rolls are calculated, so dealing with multiple attacks per round can potentially result in "overkill".

Yeah this is more in the vein of monsters attacking a downed character when they shouldn't. The last time it happened to me was during NCW where I was laying in the ml tombs bleeding out and the skeleton knights used a cleave attack on me after dropping someone they were fighting who just happened to be standing next to me. I should point out for clarity when they did this I had been laying there for several minutes and they had left me alone like they should have. I'm ASSUMING it was a cleave attack since that makes more sense than a skeleton knight just randomly and for no reason attacked a downed character who had been doing nothing but lie there for several minutes.

I had a skeleton knight execute my character just last week, kept attacking after I went down, no cleave was involved. Do they have multiple attacks per round?
It might have been delay or the skeleton knight finishing the attack rounds it calculated earlier or something, either way it clearly landed two consecutive hits.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »

I had a skeleton knight execute my character just last week, kept attacking after I went down, no cleave was involved. Do they have multiple attacks per round?
It might have been delay or the skeleton knight finishing the attack rounds it calculated earlier or something, either way it clearly landed two consecutive hits.

A skeleton knight is like a 10th or 11th level monster so it definately has at least two attacks per round maybe three.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:01:50 PM »

A skeleton knight is like a 10th or 11th level monster so it definately has at least two attacks per round maybe three.

But it should still not continue to perform the remaining attacks of the round when your character is already down, right? Cleave and stuff aside.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 07:20:30 PM »

But it should still not continue to perform the remaining attacks of the round when your character is already down, right? Cleave and stuff aside.

It should be ignoring you. I havent encountered this one myself yet, but it seems to be a new bug of some kind since multiple people are reporting it. In the example I used I was the victim of a cleave attack.