Author Topic: ❦ Ars Magica ❦ [Complete]  (Read 6312 times)

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
❦ Ars Magica ❦ [Complete]
« on: January 15, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »

((Click image for portrait link.))
[1]

Name: Balbina Ismene
(Meaning: Little Stutterer, Knowledge)
Race: Halfling
Stuttering Student of the Arcane Arts, Green-thumb.
Origin: Rivalis, Darkon (Ravenloft Native)

“The more we study the more we discover our ignorance."
~ Percy Bysshe Shelley

The Mystic (Balbina's Theme) ~ Peter Gundry

~ ~ ~ ~
Artwork

Spoiler: Artwork • show
 1. Original image.
 2. Original Image
 3. Original Image
 4. Original image.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 04:36:42 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Cover, Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »

[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is impeccable.]

The Private Thoughts and Arcane Studies of Balbina Ismene
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 06:44:53 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Spell Compendium
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:36 PM »
((Under construction!))
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:33:55 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Journal Entry
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »
[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is impeccable.]

I pen this while sat in the Mage Tower, in the fine Arboretum. I am reminded of the Crystal Gardens of home, that fine greenhouse in the centre of Rivalis that contains all manner of beautiful plant and tree. I hope that the malevolent weeds do not make an appearance here. I have not missed those, being away from home.

I find that I do however, miss simpler pleasures. A slice of fine cheese, with a strong scent and delicate texture. And every sort of pie that can be imagined! I've found a baker, Mariska, whose food is wonderful. Her apple pie is what I like best.

Barovia has just broken free of the clutches of winter, though there are many days when you might not believe it. The way to the tower itself was bitterly cold and treacherous. All manner of wild cats and huge insects lie in wait to attack travelers, but worst of all are the undead that shamble through the snow.

But I am getting ahead of myself, as I am liable to do when the pen frees me from my stilted tongue. I've met several interesting people during my brief time here. Emyrn, a dwarven outlander from a place called Thedas, where dwarves are unable to use magic, being protected from it by the Stone. He has, however, since coming through the mist, developed an aptitude for it. I attempted to show him how the wizard should cast the Light cantrip, but my shyness bested me again, and I had to send him a distance away before I could manage it. He was patient, mercifully.

Not like my peers at the university, who saw fit to laugh and mock when I struggled. Even my teachers found amusement in it. I'll prove to them that I can do this. I won't just be the 'little stutterer' anymore, who could master a spell behind closed doors and flail like a freshly-caught fish in lessons.

Master Rin has been very kind to me. His flowing beard and gentle eyes imbue comfort in me. He gifted to me a former spellbook of his, that I might increase my learning. Gashel, however, frightens me a little. He followed me as I took work, spoke of loneliness. I hope everything is well with him soon.

I am sure that I will need time as well. If I am to use my studies as they do, I need to be braver. Or at least, creative.

N.B: Don't be shy! Point out to those who call me 'little one' that they are all simply too large.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:38:29 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Research Entry - First Circle Spells
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 06:14:17 AM »

I have purchased several scrolls from the tower that I wish to learn. I must fetch a few components.

To learn the Ice Dagger spell, I must gather ice and melt it. The water produced will act as the component. Other water will simply not do. But this shall be easy to find - the mountain in which the tower is set is frigid all year round. And I am certain we passed over a frozen stream...

I have learnt this spell.

To learn the Colour Spray spell, I must locate three pinches of sand - one red, one yellow, and one blue. I do not believe the natural pigmentation to be of consequence. So, I must locate sand, and three dyes. I believe the tailor in Vallaki may be able to help in this, and if not, the Vistani wear bright colours. Perhaps they will have some of the correct pigment? The wording is vague. I hope any shade shall do.

[Scrawled later] I located three powders instead, one blue, one yellow, one red. I have now learnt this spell.

To learn Shelgarn's Persistent Dagger, I must find a silvered dagger. Silver weapons are prized here for their ability to harm shapeshifters. I will ask Master Rin for his guidance on finding one. I imagine it will be expensive.

- Silver dagger purchased.
Spell learnt.

To learn True Strike, I need to find a small wooden replica of an archery target. This is not something I am likely to find, but if I can find a carpenter, perhaps he will make one for me?

~ Fade is working on this.
Spell learnt.

Finally, Ironguts. This will be the hardest spell to learn, as it will be the most dangerous. I must collect the poison produced by four different creatures, and dilute them, before mixing them and setting the mixture into a vial. I shall ask Master Rin for advice on this one, also. Perhaps some of the adventuring types I have seen here will help?

Three of four poisons found.
Fourth found.

Spell learnt.

--
I should also be careful to keep my studies hidden from the locals of Barovia. Theirs is a fear based in superstition. The Darkonese fear magic also, but it is a respectful, educated fear. We know what it entails, and the power it can conjure. I shall be sure to keep component pouch firmly fastened, and to ensure my spellbook is closed when the garda are around.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:37:45 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Research/Personal Entry
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:47:08 AM »

Master Rin has been an excellent tutor. He is patient and kind, and I find myself growing in confidence all the more. But two sides of a story have reached me, and I find myself fearful. There is a heavy question in my mind. I hope that Master Rin can answer it.

We have gathered many more components, and as such, my learning of new spells is developing wonderfully. I think I shall take some time to slow down in my work a little. Still, a brief list of what needs to be found comprises of;

~ Fox dung or fur for Fox's Cunning
~ One last type of poison for Ironguts
~ The target replica for True Strike

I had a successful venture with Rentin and Emyrn into the beetle cave. On studying them, I found that they possess strange mandibles. I collected them. I wonder if they might be worked into anything? I mean to share my learning with Emyrn when I have the chance. Oh, but I have been so busy!

Between buying scrolls and components, I found myself short on money, but with the last of it, I purchased a thick suit. While wearing it, I find that the rats in the sewers below do not scratch me nearly as often. As such, I was able to search (with gloved hands, of course!) for more spell components and lost items.  While exploring one area, I found a passage into the tunnels below, and exploring them, I found two masks of Neureni origin, both identical.

A drawing of the mask found.

I know from my scant reading of Barovian history, that the Neureni were a bloodthirsty and war-like people. I wonder if these might have been worn in battle for purposes of intimidation? They certainly frightened me. If not, perhaps they were involved in some ritual or ceremony?

~

I met a local who is utterly convinced that I am a child, playing some elaborate ruse. I do not think it so hard to understand. Still, as I have written before, much of their ignorance seems to be wilful. I suppose I cannot blame them entirely. There are some things I imagine I would regret knowing, if I did.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:37:26 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Research/Personal Entry
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 05:03:21 AM »

Arcane Studies, with Master Rin

My studies have been coming along nicely in several fields. Soon, I hope to venture out with Master Rin to fetch the last components I need. It is likely that I'll find yet more scrolls to study soon enough. His patience has not waned, not one iota, and he expresses his pride in me often. It is new and wonderful, to know feelings of confidence, but I will have to be careful - if I grow too bigheaded, I won't be able to stand properly!

He says that I have always had the propensity to learn, but my prior lessons did nothing to inspire confidence. He tells me that one day, I can teach others as he has taught me. I want to bring Emyrn to the Tower as well. There is nothing quite like studying enchantments and incantations in the walls of the large Hall, the statues looking down on us. I am continuing to aid him when I can, passing him spare components. We went travelling together, myself, Emyrn, Mero and a wizard with so many titles, I seem to have forgotten his name. I saw several of the two-legged wolves of which I read before coming here - much more frightening than any drawing could convey. Still, we managed against them. It was an excellent opportunity to practice my magic, and they were patient enough with me to make this possible.

Master Rin was able to answer my question, and confirmed my suspicions. I will be very careful. Should the worst happen, I am sure Master Rin will do his best to protect me.

~

~ Herbal Studies ~
A copy of Master Rin's recipe.

Attempted: ~22 Tonics of Cure Light Wounds

Successful: ~ 2 Tonics

Notes: Take care to neither overheat or neglect the mixture. It is a careful procedure that should be followed by eye rather than an exact science using fixed times. As the herb pieces begins to lose their colouring, stir the cauldron. Ensure they are finely ground in the mortar and pestle before you begin. Note the subtleties in preparing each possible ingredient.

~ Alchemical Studies ~

Reagents Used: Fire Beetle Mandibles, Ectoplasm

Attempted: ~6 Lesser Scorching Varnishes, 1 Lesser Negative Varnish

Successful: ~ 5 Lesser Scorching Varnishes

Notes: Ensure that the mandibles are worked finely into the hot essence - it will not do to have remnants of the beetle's jaw left behind in the varnish. A gentler process must be attempted when working ectoplasm, given its weightlessness. Fold in the resin with the essence by layering them, one layer of essence, then resin, then essence etc, then pour the thick substance into a bottle. Do not let it spill!

~

A drawing of the mask found.

I found another Neureni mask on my travels. Again, it seems designed to intimidate and inspire fear. I will need to study further if I am to learn its purpose. I find there is merit in both theories; first, that it is a mask to be worn in battle, or second, it was worn in some sort of ceremony or ritual.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:32:59 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Research/Personal Entry
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »

New friends made - Angel and Iven. I hope to keep them close, for they are kind. My magic is coming along well - I have begun my research into the third circle! I have Master Rin to thank chiefly for this - it is his patient aid that has permitted me to flourish.

~ Items to Research ~

Moor Man's Pictograms - Located near Village of Barovia in werefox cave.

Neureni Battle Horn - Located under sewers.

Neureni Dragon Statue - Located in Neureni ruins.

The Neureni ruins were a challenge. Dead Neureni roamed, most frightful to behold - they left in their wake much death and gore. It seem several treasure hunters found them first... I was almost sick.
I am not sure how it was they were overcome, in life, being so formidable in death... it must have been quite the battle, when they were overwhelmed. And my, those terracotta statues where quite something to behold, so tall! Other statues flanked the halls too.

Figure I - Drawing of a Neureni statue.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:35:00 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Personal Entry
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2015, 10:38:22 AM »
[The following page is written in the Common language. The handwriting is, starkly different to the norm, scratched and harsh on the page, which is accompanied by ink splatters. The wording is non-sensical in this form, unless it was perhaps meant to be a response?]

[On a fresh page, the scrawling continues, in Darkonese.]

I'm so frightened, it seems my mouth has closed up like a tomb. There's so much I should write, for it others knew, they could stay safe. He didn't mean to leave me alive, I am sure of it. My throat still hurts - did he try to strangle me? I don't remember seeing him after I blacked out. I dragged myself as far as I could! He drove a nail into my right ankle, and now my leg jerks without my wanting it to. Thankfully, there was a walking stick to hand.

I can't...
[Ink splatters the page.] I can't write this...

If Cade, Corky, Myrtle or Master Rin read it, it would be too much. They could not keep it quiet any longer. The chatter would spread and he would find out...

I must speak the words when I am brave enough to claim back my voice.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 03:34:39 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Research/Personal Entry
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is impeccable. The following covers several leaves of Balbina's book, and many sketches and pieces of parchment can be found tucked into the pages.]

There is much I ought to record in these pages. I shall begin by saying that the past week has been one of the most formative of my whole life. My voice has returned to me since I last penned an entry here. I have come far from the fearful creature who wrote that, though there is still much more to do.

~

~ Herbal Studies ~

Attempted: ~52 Tonics of Cure Light Wounds, 2 Tonics of Expeditious Retreat (cumulative attempts)
Successful: ~ 20 Tonics of Cure Light Wounds, 2 of Expeditious Retreat

Notes: Do not rush the process! Also be sure not to crush or otherwise spoil the herbs before preparation. In sum, take greater care.

~ Alchemical Studies ~

Reagents Used: Fire Beetle Mandibles, Dark Shadow Residue, Acid Globs of Varying Sizes (cumulative attempts)

Stage I - Essences

Attempted: ~14 Essences
Successful: ~ 11 Mixed Essences

Stage II - Varnishes

Attempted: ~6 Lesser Scorching Varnishes, 1 Lesser Negative Varnish
Successful: ~ 4 Lesser Scorching Varnishes

Notes: Work to master the fire mandibles, it can be done! Use trial and error to learn the process required to prepare residue and oozes. Different temperatures and distilling techniques shall need to be applied here.

New Reagents:

A Battle Horror Orb, recovered below Dvergheim

Galven Magen Heart, recovered below Dvergheim

~

~ Personal Entry ~

Where to begin? I was able to summon the courage to speak of what happened to me, at last. The silence had been all-consuming, and I do not believe I have ever felt more lonely than I did then, for though I had wonderful company, I could not truly involve myself with anyone. I floated about, limping feebly, as invisible as if I had veiled myself with the spell. It is a hard thing, to be without a voice, and it made me grateful to reclaim ownership of my tongue, stuttering and imperfect though it is. And I now feel brave enough to write of it.

The man in grey struck me across the back of my head. I woke bound, the dark illuminated by a single candle, its low light rendering my captor's face in shadow. As my senses adjusted, the pain hit me - he'd driven a nail straight through my right foot at the ankle. My leg spasmed uncontrollably. He withdrew something from his coat and tried to shove it down my throat. Tearfully, I choked on it, as he told me it was the flesh of a woman called Chala. I would not swallow it, disgorging myself at his feet. He grew angry then, and bit off the smallest finger on my left hand. He tried to make me eat part of that too, and I am sickened to report that I was forced to swallow it. But the greatest pain came after he drew lines in ink and cut along them at my leg, meaning to butcher me like an animal at the abattoir. When I voiced my dissent, he tore a large mouthful of flesh from my shoulder. By some providence, I fell out my head for a time, and when I returned to consciousness, he was gone. There was a red ring at my neck where I presumed he'd tried to strangle me, but not for long enough, on account of my being alive. My right thigh had been brutalised, and I could put no weight at all on that leg, especially as the nail still resided in my foot. I began to drag myself on all fours through the muck, trying to recall the way back to the rope, the way back to sunlight. But I was too weakened, and flopped into the grime in my exhaustion.

And then Master Rin found me, with another of his apprentices. The two of them helped me up the rope and got me to safety. Rin bandaged me with his wise, time-worn hands, and although age shakes them gently, he is a skilled healer.  I was able to clean off the grime and discard the clothing that the man had torn with his knife to reach my leg. Mercifully, I had a stick in my possession, chiefly for extra leverage and to access harder-to-reach places, but now it was repurposed as my temporary leg while the right healed.

I could not say at the time how grateful I was for their aid, for I could not speak at all.

In the following days, Corky and Cade were so kind to me, though the bulk of my time was spent with the latter. He ensured I was always comfortable and safe. He was patient with my silence. There was another of my kind, Myrtle, who stood by me one night so that I would feel protected while I rested.

It was with Cade that my voice returned, a single sentence at first, and though I stuttered more than usual, I was grateful. In time, I was able to give a report of what happened to one of the Vallaki guard. He told me they would do what they could, though if the cannibal attacked at night, it would be difficult. Several days later, he appeared again, and he was chased down and subdued. By the time we brought him to the gates, night had fallen, and the garda refused to open them 'on the words of a pitic.' To think, if I was but a little taller, they might have arrested him then and there. But he came to and fled. Cade, a man called Linus, and Fyzgig chased him down. Cade's ursine companion, Tania, tore the cannibal virtually to pieces. Poor Cade seemed pierced when I expressed disdain at the sight. He feared that he had become just like that cruel man for that moment. I told him otherwise. We took the body to the charnel house behind the temple. It was... truly a burden lifted to know he could not hurt anyone else again.

Not many days after this, Fade came to me and helped me to heal my wounds, drawing on her connection to the earth. My left pinky finger is now longer than it used to be, but I do not mind it - it proves very useful for keeping my place when reading, should I read to flick through to another page. I had missed running, and value my mobility more for what befell me.

The nightmares... do still persist, but I am surrounded by so many who are close to me, they are given little time to linger.

Little time. It is amazing how much has come to pass so soon. I did not expect to ever be so close to another, much less one taller, but sometimes, I have learned, love is curious. Most have been kind about it, if teasing, but I have seen couples of all stripes experience such kind-hearted mockery. There was one woman who implied Cade to be a lover of children for his closeness with me, and it saddened me. I am shorter than him, yes, but I am not a child. I do not have a child's face, or a child's body. I am quite tall for my sex, among other halflings. But this woman didn't see any of that. I should not dwell upon it, but instead on what has been good and wonderful, for that is what pulled me from my darkest moments. Without the words and actions of others, my heart would still lie in the sewer refuse. But thanks to them, it could ascend the rope to light again, with me.

Cade, my columbus, my dove, should you read this book - thank for all you've done for me. I love you dearly.

~

~ Research ~

I had been concerned for Master Rin, as he left after tending to my wounds that night. He seems greatly troubled, and spoke to me of dark things that he saw. I would not wish for him to be hurt, should anyone read this, so I shall leave his words to me unwritten. He seems better now he can focus on his magical tutoring once more. He joined Cade and I on a venture exploring the old monastery out in Vallaki's woodland. There were many spirits there, roaming angrily. We came across old journals and relics of the Overseer, of all things. I did not know his religious influence had extended beyond Darkon. It is strange.

~

Some sketches of Overseer relics.

[A few pages are transcribed here.]

~

~ The Masque Anghelescu ~

[The word VAMPYR has been underlined. An ES is added to the end, the script somewhat shaky.]
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:05:17 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Research/Personal Entry
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is impeccable. The following covers several leaves of Balbina's book, and many sketches and pieces of parchment can be found tucked into the pages.]

~

~ Herbal Studies ~

Attempted: ~52 Tonics of Cure Light Wounds, 2 Tonics of Expeditious Retreat (cumulative attempts)
Successful: ~ 20 Tonics of Cure Light Wounds, 2 of Expeditious Retreat

Notes: Do not rush the process! Also be sure not to crush or otherwise spoil the herbs before preparation. In sum, take greater care.

~ Alchemical Studies ~

Reagents Used: Fire Beetle Mandibles, Dark Shadow Residue, Acid Globs of Varying Sizes, Doom Guard Hearts, Clay Golem Sludge (cumulative attempts)

Stage I - Essences

Attempted: ~Over 100 Essences
Successful: ~ Over 100 Mixed Essences

Stage II - Varnishes

Attempted: ~Over 100 Mixed Varnishes
Successful: ~ Over 100 Mixed Varnishes

Notes: Work to master the fire mandibles, it can be done! Use trial and error to learn the process required to prepare residue and oozes. Different temperatures and distilling techniques shall need to be applied here. Do not rush.

~

~ Personal Entry ~

It's been rather busy. I was overjoyed to see Cade return to his bright, happy self. In addition, my studies are coming along very well indeed. There has been talk of setting up an order of mages, where we can guide and mentor each other, support one another... it's all very exciting.

I have also taken an apprentice by the name of Kallyn, new to the Core. I see much potential! I hope he can be patient with my stuttering, though he seems pleasant enough.

I have been more lax in my records of late. I must amend this.

~

~ Research ~

~

A scroll describing the doctrine of the Overseer.

~

A sketch of the statue of the Water God Sobek, including the pillars and myself for a sense of scale.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:06:39 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Research/Personal Entry - prohibito praecantatio
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »
~

~ prohibito praecantatio ~

Spoiler: show
~ Negative Energy Burst ~ Necromancy.

All creatures caught in the spell are weakened and hurt.

Material Component: A mirror, which the caster breaks.

Somnatic Component:
  • Move hands as though around a sphere.
  • A red sphere shall appear.
  • Push sphere towards target.

Verbal Component:
Speak the words 'Negative Energy Burst' in Draconic.

~ Ray of Enfeeblement ~ Necromancy.

All single creature may be weakened with this spell.

Material Component: None.

Somnatic Component:
  • Aim sphere towards target.

Verbal Component:
Speak the words 'Ray of Enfeeblement' in Draconic.

~ Enervation~ Necromancy.

A single creature is severely weakened.

Somnatic Component:

Verbal Component:
Speak the word 'Enervation' in Draconic.

~ Contagion~ Necromancy.

A single creature is stricken with disease.

Somnatic Component:

Verbal Component:
Speak the word 'Contagion' in Draconic.[/left]

~ Animate Dead ~ Necromancy ~ Evil

A deceased person is brought back to life as an undead slave.

Material Component: A piece of onyx placed in the eye socket or mouth of the deceased.

Somnatic Component:
  • Touch target.

Verbal Component:
Speak the words 'Animate Dead' in Draconic.

~ Personal Entry ~
I am very excited to report that Master Rin has informed me of a brilliant idea. As my tutor, he has shown me a great deal, and I hope to make him proud. He has taught me some of the fouler magics we encounter, that we might understand them and be better able to deal with them. There is so much to do, much to prepare, much to organise.

What will we find?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:39:49 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Personal Entry
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 09:47:31 AM »
[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is impeccable. Many new spell entries are added, with accompanying notes - it seems she has been hard at work!]
~

~ Personal Entry~

What a productive few days it has been! I showed my new apprentice the Mage Tower nestled in the mountains, and gave him his first formal lesson under my tutelage. He is eager, bright and patient, and always respectful. I was able to help him master the casting of both Cat's Grace and Flame Weapon, which he greatly appreciated.

While we were in the tower, Master Rin, Ethel and I took turns to duel one another. It was an enlightening experience, knowing each other's strengths and weaknesses and finding the holes in our arcane armour. While we were dueling, Codrin came from the lobby to watch, and gave us a lesson of his own - the importance of preparation. He is an accomplished mage, even more so that Master Rin - his experience was very welcome.

I hope they we can continue to grow together, to support one another. For if we have others who understand, we will also be less likely to make dangerous mistakes. Perhaps we should venture out as a group, somewhere? Oh, I shall have to discuss this with Master Rin...

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Re: ~ Ars Magica ~
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is impeccable. Some new spell entries are added, with accompanying notes.]
~

~ Personal Entry~

I have many lessons to prepare for Kallyn. There is so much to do and to read! My alchemical studies have been progressing nicely. I worry that perhaps I am a little reclusive, of late. Still, I have felt lonely for quite a while... where has he gone?

I shall limit myself to a week's further study, then I shall have to ensure I find some company, or I will go mad.

Perhaps I should write to Mother and Father?

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Re: ❦ Ars Magica ❦
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 07:09:47 AM »
~

~ Personal Entry~

There's much to note, but I will keep this brief; I am worried for Master Rin. I have scarcely seen him since that venture to the tower, when we saw that huge wyrm made of bones, which caused the stone to cave beneath us, sending us hurtling beneath the ruins of the Terg crypts. There were those strange ritualistic patterns, and the notes which Master Rin collected, and of course, the book on the desk. In fact, I have not spoken with him properly for the last few weeks, and not seen him at all for the last two. I hope that nothing has befallen him-- he is dear to me. I have also neglected to teach Kallyn, though I have seen him, but I cannot let my laziness continue.

I have been abounding in mischief, truth be told, accompanying a man with mixed Hazlani and Akiri patronage, named Ahmose. He is a strange fellow, with some awful ideas and a lecherous grin, but I cannot help but find myself often enjoying his company. It has certainly provided ample opportunity for me to practice my magic.

I will make a bold note here; Balbina, do not drink wine as though it is water.

Perhaps it is because I am worried that more of those I came to know and care for have left me behind? I must seek out Master Rin, and prepare more lessons for Kallyn, and stop behaving like such a silly girl. Of course, I'll not ignore my new companion, but I must be sure that I have my priorities correctly laid out in my head.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
~

~ Personal Entry~

It has not done me any good to be without guidance for so long. But what was I supposed to do when I found out about Master Rin?

Master Rin is dead. My dear master is gone.

When I learned of my tutor's passing, and how it had come to pass... I could not believe it. He had always made sure to tell me, when we touched on darker, forbidden magic in my studies, that it was only studied in order to be understood, and with that understanding, a defense against it could be mounted. I had no idea why he had pursued something so dangerous-- from the moment when we stepped into that ruin and saw the skeletal dragon, I knew that something was wrong, and everything that came after confirmed it. The pursuit of it twisted him, I think. In any case, to have avenged the memory of the man that he was, in some way... more on that later.

I felt... empty for a long time. Practicing the arcane did not hold the same interest as it once did. Speaking the words and carrying out the complex gestures no longer fulfilled me. If you will pardon the phrase, the arcane had lost its spark-- magic was hollow, lacking its... well, magic. I visited home. I had been away from Rivalis from what felt like years, but the only slight increase in grey hair upon my father's head told me it had not been as long as that. My parents were happy to see that my talents have improved under his tutelage and with practice, but though they tried, they could not veil their disappointment that my abominable impediment remains.

It did, however, lend me a small advantage in recent events, I think. I'll come now to where I paused earlier.

I received a letter from Anselme. We have spoken before-- he is a well-to-do fellow from Dementlieu with a penchant for wearing wigs and studying the arcane. At least, he wore a wig before. When I saw him this time, in East Riding upon the isle of Ghastria, he was quite bald. We found a place to speak privately (his desire to be away from civilisation should have concerned me), and he began to question me about all I knew of Master Rin's research. I did not know much, and this realisation bothered me quite a bit. There must have been a great deal that Master Rin concealed from me, though given the little I heard of his demise, I understand his secrecy. Perhaps he thought me too young, naive or unskilled to understand. Perhaps he was ashamed?

In any case, my words did not sate Anselme's curiosity, and he too changed. He made it clear, very quickly, that his pursuit of magic, of the same nature that Master Rin studied, has twisted him too. He brandished a needle and stabbed at me, but whatever substance was contained within had little effect on me.

I fled.

We ran across the island in the middle of the night, shouting incantations at each other and making all the necessary gestures (which is very difficult to do in flight). I am ashamed to confess in writing that I used some of the darker magic that Rin taught me, though its effectiveness was undeniable; Anselme appeared visibly weakened when it touched him. I almost got clear, but I lost consciousness quite suddenly. When I came to, I could tell I was underground by the damp, earthy air, the darkness, and all the little insects I could feel trampling over me. I was bound up, Anselme looming over me, his long legs bending as he strained to meet my gaze.

He made it clear that he expected to hear more from me, convinced I was concealing some dark secret. I began to shed tears then, knowing that I had told him all I knew, and having done this, he would not want me to tell anyone else about what he sought or what he had done to me. I knew I was facing death. Part of me encouraged me to embrace it; how many others knew that I was his apprentice in life, and would want to probe me for anything I knew? I twisted Cade's wood and vine-leaf promise band around my finger. I could not bear the thought, but I had to be brave. I asked him outright if he was going to kill me. His response made it clear that this was his plan. I had to think quickly; he was already beginning to make the gestures for offensive spells. He mocked me, taunting me to make a deal with him. At the last moment, I managed to tell him to wait. I told him, stuttering all the while, that I wanted to face him in a wizard's duel.

He laughed. The idea was preposterous, indeed. I am a little woman, when compared to him, and I had just managed to stop sniveling. He agreed, his voice thick with pride and disdain. At the last, I managed to convince him to unbind me so that I could face him on equal footing. This done, we prepared.

I groped for the scroll case on my belt and shook with relief when I found it. Thumbing through it, I found two powerful scrolls, two I had been keeping either to learn when my skill was sufficient to memorize them, or for a situation of great danger, just like this one. I thanked my good fortune on all my ventures into the dark places of the world that had led me to great treasure. The first scroll creased in my grip as Anselme asked if I was ready. I nodded.

"Then may the best wizard win." He scoffed.

He snatched a scroll and began to read from it, as did I. Perhaps Master Rin's spirit was with me, speeding me along, as I recalled the advice of the wizard at the tower. As he stood over the crumpled form of Ethelhild, he told us that the most important rule of all magical duels is to give your opponent no time to prepare. Master Rin had nodded sagely, and I took the advice wholly to heart.

As I drew to the close of the incantation, I felt myself moving at such great speed, and the world around me seemed utterly still, as though time itself had ceased to move. Quickly, I took the next scroll and read from it carefully, doing my best to ensure that my tongue did not mutilate the words. A huge black blade, sharp and swaying, appeared in the air before me. I fixed my gaze upon Anselme's frozen features, and pointed.

Soon after, my great speed returned to normal and the blade surged forward, slicing across Anselme's shins and sending him reeling into the dirt. It hovered over him, seeming to look at me for approval. I stilled the blade and leaned over him. It would have been very easy to kill him, and looking back, perhaps it was foolish that I did not. But if I had killed him then, would that not make me exactly in his image? I resolved to stare down at him for a moment, sneering.

"M-may the best w-wizard win." I stammered, inwardly cursing myself for my impediment. I hefted up my coinpurse from his belongings and fled, leaving Anselme bleeding into the dirt.

Would Master Rin have been proud of me, for that? Who am I going to tell? What lies in store for me?

Perhaps it is time to set this book aside and find out.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »
~

~ Personal Entry~

I knew that would not be the last of it.

As I returned from an excursion to the isle of Blaustein, I encountered an affable wizard named Piers. We spoke for a time, when suddenly, the streets were empty, save for an old man watching us. As he drew closer, he spoke about 'finding' something, and how 'we' had been looking for it. We were both very confused, until he spoke of a stone. Piers seemed  to recall something, at that. As the old man approached, we realised that he was blind, and appeared to have scratched his own eyes out...

We fled, casting two spells in our wake. I asked Piers to tell me where he had found the stone. In the privacy of an inn room, he told me that it was made by Reinhart Rin, my dear tutor. Our last conversation aligned with this new information and I was immediately terrified. He'd spoken of having a colleague, and sickening reality sank in as I realised that I knew exactly who it was.

Anselme de Coursay.

I told him of our battle on Ghastria, and he seemed amused to know that I had bested Anselme. However, knowing that I was his enemy, he said that he had no choice but to incapacitate me. We began to throw spells at each other, but all were resisted by dogged determination until I read from another scroll. A huge blade-wielding construct burst forth and I veiled myself as it began to fight Piers. Soon enough, I had bested him too, and he lay bleeding. It was all too familiar.

As I stood over him, shaking, Cade emerged from round the corner, perhaps drawn by the noise. Soon after him, a Barovian man followed. He asked us what was going on and told us that we should bring Piers before the burgomistress. Fearing that my own arcane skill would be brought out, and knowing that Cade could be in trouble for his association with me, we did not take him there, instead leading him to a sheltered place to question him (Cade and I should likely avoid the village for the time being, now). He told me of his research, and of his alliance with Anselme. He showed me a strange tome that troubles me to recall, that spoke of 'dark powers' and the land that they created. This land.

Could it be true?

I can't let those thoughts worry me, not now that the stone my tutor made is in my possession. After much deliberation, we freed Piers, but I warned him (with more venom in my voice than I intended-- perhaps an effect of the stone?) that if he spat on our mercy, he would have no more.

My mind is clouded with worry and hatred now that I hold the stone. When I think of Anselme, I quake with rage. When I think of my tutor's fate, I tremble with fear, sinking into despair. The idea of destroying the stone draws out a part of me that covets it for myself... but I know that it must be done.

I have no doubt that the power of this stone is what killed my tutor. I must avenge him fully and ensure he is at rest. I can only do this if I destroy the stone.

But how? I am thankful to have Cade beside me. I can only hope that we find the solution before the stone twists me, too...

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:57:34 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 03:58:58 PM »
~

~ Personal Entry~

It is even worse than I imagined; the stone is a prison!

I sought aid from trusted, hidden friends, and found it in one named Mneme. Together, she helped me to prepare a ritual that would allow us to investigate the nature and capability of the stone. Further study proved it to be the result of blood magic, a dangerous aspect of the arcane which is achieved through the schools of transmutation and necromancy. In order to fully understand the nature of the artifact, I did indeed have to offer a blood sacrifice; thankfully, some of my own, taken from my palm, was deemed acceptable. As the blood touched the stone, the room darkened and felt unnaturally cold.

When the darkness cleared, I saw shadows swirling about the stone, and soon enough, the inky spirit of a she-elf was brought out. She lowered herself onto all fours, feral, but seemed afraid. Though her visage was dark, I felt that I recognised her. Yes, I did recall her; she was the one who had healed me after that depraved cannibal attacked me in the sewers of Vallaki. She had been a guide to Cade for some time. As I reflected on this, she vanished, but more shadows rose. These shadows also coalesced into a shape that I knew. My eyes welled up the moment I realised whose spirit stood before me.

Master Rin's sorrow was palpable, and he wept for someone named Eliora. It seems my dear teacher carried a lot of pain with him. He blurred before me as I held back tears, then vanished altogether. I did not know the third figure, but I disliked him almost at once; he referred to my master as his apprentice, called him a fool. I knew instantly that whoever this man was, he was the one to blame for my master's suffering. Mneme warned me that he was likely a trickster, but he told us that he himself had been tricked, fooled by a dog-faced fiend that he called Inajira.

He told me that it was my master's sins that had condemned him to this prison. I cannot bring myself to believe him. Master Rin was a kind, good man, even if he did seem... altered to me when I last saw him. Was it guilt? I do not think I will ever know for sure.

I vowed inwardly, then, that I would free Master Rin and Fade from this prison, even though I am loath to free the third. As the third one vanished, Mneme told me that this artifact could likely only be destroyed by an arcanist skilled enough to memorize spells of the uppermost circle. I thanked her for her aid as she closed the circle before departing in numb silence.

I was troubled when I found Cade awaiting me in the camp, and he seemed able to tell when he embraced me, not lingering for long. I told him all that I knew, knowing that my news of Fade would trouble him. He denied at first with a laugh, but as the weight of his grief came into shape, he wept. I did my best to comfort him, despite my own burden of sorrow, one I tried to keep from overcoming me for long.

The third spirit took pleasure in telling me that all my fear, anger and sorrow only makes the stone stronger. Knowing this, Cade told me that it is likely for the best that we are apart while I seek the means necessary to destroy the stone. While he is right, it does little to diminish the loneliness I feel, writing this in the tower nestled near the peak of Mt. Baratak. He made me promise that I would return to him. I made him the only promise I could-- that I would try.

I know that what I seek to do is dangerous, but given those two I have already had to fight for coveting the stone, I know it would be even more dangerous to allow it to fall out of my hands. I feel as though my heart is heavier, and I am loath to sleep in case someone might intrude to snatch it from me. I know that I can't hold onto it forever.

I hope that someone answers my plea, and that this someone will be understanding. Master Rin, Fade, do not worry. I will do my best to ensure that you can be at peace, soon.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2016, 07:46:12 AM »
~

~ Personal Entry~

I wish that I had never known about this accursed stone!

I was approached at the tower by an arcanist named Esmerelda, who called herself the Wanderer. I told her all that I had divined of the stone's nature, and with her aid, we prepared a new circle so that we might find more answers.

With the ritual complete, I sought answers from my master's spirit. We realised that Eliora, the name he so often repeats, was his granddaughter. He asked me if I was her, but I did not answer, only asking more questions. His spirit vanished again, retreating once more inside the stone, a cycle with Fade's spirit again repeated.

At last we know the identity of the third spirit. His name is Vocar, and he is a worshiper of the Maimed Lord. Esmerelda seemed to know of this god, and given her reaction, I am troubled. We know that Vocar had two masters, though he blames only his own greed for his predicament. The name Inajira was mentioned again, which troubled Esmerelda further.

The stone is Inajira's tool. Vocar said that he places souls into a book, and that he likely intends to use the stone to fill it. My master's work, used for such ends! We stand against a powerful fiend. And if we somehow manage to release the three spirits, what will Vocar do? I'm terrified. I want nothing more than for Master Rin and Fade to be at rest, but what will the cost of their freedom be?

I need to find people, strong and good people, to assist Esmerelda and I in the stone's destruction, and while I know Cade would assist, I do not want him to come to harm. No, I have another name in mind.

I have a letter to write.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 12:34:55 PM »
[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is shaky.]
~

~ Personal Entry~

How many souls does that vile Vocar own? What does he do to you, trapped inside that stone? I am eternally sorry that I neglected my studies, neglected you, Master Rin! Perhaps if I had remained nearby and continued to make progress with you, I could have swayed you from your path…

But I was too late. He hurts you. He hurts Fade. He hurts one called Elana. We won’t let him, not for much longer. But at what cost? I did not bring anyone here to see them die! I see the pain in their faces at the thought. Yet still these people, with lovers and friends and family, decide who amongst themselves shall stand forward, to risk themselves for the stone’s destruction, and I brought them here…

I brought them here.

I performed the blood ritual again (Has it bound me to the stone? I simply don’t know!) so that all the men and women present, who faithfully followed Zachary and Esmerelda to the tower, could see the stone’s nature for themselves. So many came to my aid, to your aid, Master Rin; to know that they all bear the knowledge of Esmerelda’s theory—that its destruction requires a sacrifice of three, a self-sacrifice, to advance the stone to its albedo stage (according to the notes you made), yet still they remained!

You described the use of positive energy in your notes; life force. How much will the ritual require? Will they be strong enough to survive this, or must they give up all for the sake of you, Fade and Elana, knowing that Vocar too would be freed? Will the rule of three truly apply, or does Vocar attempt to trick us? It is likely. The more I learn of him, the more I cannot understand how he ensnared Master Rin. Surely he must have been very convincing…

Does he mean to keep one soul trapped within, perhaps to appease the dog-faced fiend? I simply do not understand it. I am beginning to see that the more I learn of this stone and the magic and esoterica surrounding its creation and destruction, how little I truly know of the arcane. The more I study, the more I see my own ignorance. If only I had applied myself better…

The elf Dante holds the stone for now. He and his companions are to pass it amongst themselves often, sharing the burden while we reflect upon the task before us. Perhaps there is another way? I hope so…

It was so hard to let it go. The small part of me that craves the stone for myself, that dark and jealous part of me which revealed itself when I first touched it, took hold. I would not let it go, though they entreated me. For those few painful moments, I was the same greed and malice that we face. I wanted it for my own, despite the pain it has brought me.

Even now as it lies out of my grasp, I feel a steady aching sickness deep within me, gnawing at me. Even now, though the burden is lifted, and I am in the company of the one I love, I cannot shake this sorrow, this guilt. The stone revealed darkness in me, something I cannot shake. I may have cut my hand with that dagger for the ritual, but the blade within me now is not one of steel; with thought alone it acts, piercing me anew as each doubt or touch of guilt returns to me.

Can I be healed?

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2016, 07:54:17 PM »
[All that is written here, unless otherwise described, is done so in Darkonese. The handwriting is neat.]
~

~ Personal Entry~

To know that I was right to disbelieve the theory my companions in this quest of mine put forward... to know that the souls trapped within the stone are real and whole... it is both a relief and a burden. A relief, because it means that we have not been deceived into assisting shadows and lies for a wicked man's sake, but a burden, because it means their suffering is all too real, and it only adds to the weight of the choices we must make.

I was able to at last bid farewell to Master Rin. He told us that the stone could be untwisted if we pressed it forward to the next 'albedo' stage, but it would come about by his sacrifice. His soul, as the woman Gennifer said, is already lost, written in Inajra's Book of Souls. But how can we sacrifice him? And what will happen to the other souls within?

Then there was Elana, who said that with an artifact of equal power, we might hope to destroy the gem. But will that free Vocar? Natalie is unwilling to do so, and while I understand her fear, to know that otherwise we might destroy souls...

What are we going to do?

I'm so grateful to the Lady Nneme, for she has stood by us as a strong ally. She has let us use a holy place for our studies and efforts. I'd never seen such a creature... what did Natalie call her? A deva? She has angelic white wings and her skin, while green, isn't the sickly sort that some caliban have. She kept us safe from Vocar's machinations and Inajra's attempted disruption.

Master Rin, before I was forced to dismiss me, you told me you were proud of me. I hope that I can live up to that expectation.

Soon enough, this will all be over.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 04:36:30 PM »
The stone is destroyed.

With the help of Zachary and Ravenna (and the generosity of Father Ille), we used a powerful artifact (which Zachary wore) to meet the power of the gem my master made. I knew that Master Rin would remain lost to the Fiend's clutches no matter what we did, but to save the others, and to prevent the stone from twisting anyone else from within as it did my master (and began to do to me), so to see it through to its end has lifted a great weight from my shoulders.

I hope that the goodness my master was able to spread may yet be remembered; he taught so many, and study and kindness drove all he did. I hope we have not been too long in removing that stone from the world, and that the memory of him in the minds of all who knew him might still wear a kind face.

With the lifting of this burden, we saw the end of Vocar, at last. His fear in the face of our efforts and toil reassured me that our victory was at hand, for he had always boasted of holding all the answers. Now he is gone, no longer able to hurt anyone. It's not only this burden that has been lifted; my tongue has been loosed of its stuttering-- speech and spellcasting are now much easier, and I have more confidence in the words I utter.

But there is more to be done. I am glad that Zachary was able to see the relic separated from his hands (for Lady Nneme told me). But she has told me much more. So much has been revealed to me, and I still reel from this revelation. Lady Nneme and I now shoulder the burden of this truth. We must act. But we must do so carefully. If our purpose was revealed and made known, it would be the end of us.

For we are the Jailers.