Author Topic: Level progression  (Read 52267 times)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
Re: Level progression
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2015, 09:36:51 PM »
That was my understanding as well, if it isn't then by gum I must cry foul!... Mostly cause I can, in reality I really don't care :P

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
Ugh, anything slower at 9-12 would be quit worthy.  I'd like to at least reach Sithicus.

sithicus?:D
Last of the new areas i've seen was like 20% of Harakir:D And i think the new "RP" zones of Dementliue:D
I think highest i ever got was 14.
But currently my highest level char will not really and likely have ANY reason to leave barovia:) (Morninglordian:P)(not to mention he is nowhere near 14:D)
I think if all goes according to plan i may reach level 12 with rudrig around 2017 and then i can continue my exploration of Harakir, maybe even try a visit to ghastria and Hazlan to see what those places even are:D

I'm really trying to look at ways where a Morninglord person could do something outside of Barovia.
Istavan Donner

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2015, 10:08:52 PM »
A morninglord player could leave Barovia to spread the message of the Morninglord, to aid those in need, to help fight evil in other lands. I don't see why they would need to be exclusive to Barovia
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2015, 10:28:24 PM »
Tatyanna is level 5 now and blind drive and i started the second day of NCE. When i'm on i role play but always go for the xp groups to.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

chuuch1

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2015, 01:02:44 AM »
This may be just me, but I try not to let the cap dictate the way I play. I actually pretty well ignore it.  Who cares if you don't get as much xp from killing things. For me, joining up in a group and smashing things is fun and I'm not going to let a silly ooc cap stop me from having fun, weather it is rping or dungeoning.  And honestly, the time spent not playing a character to remove cap vs the time spent dungeoning on blind drive are pretty damn even in my opinion.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2015, 01:48:11 AM »
This may be just me, but I try not to let the cap dictate the way I play. I actually pretty well ignore it.  Who cares if you don't get as much xp from killing things. For me, joining up in a group and smashing things is fun and I'm not going to let a silly ooc cap stop me from having fun, weather it is rping or dungeoning.  And honestly, the time spent not playing a character to remove cap vs the time spent dungeoning on blind drive are pretty damn even in my opinion.

You know I agree with you on that-I was just annoyed that I hadn't even passed level three yet and was already capped  :lol: Doesn't change what I choose to do with myself though

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2015, 02:52:49 AM »
A morninglord player could leave Barovia to spread the message of the Morninglord, to aid those in need, to help fight evil in other lands. I don't see why they would need to be exclusive to Barovia

It is not that simple, if you consider canon settings. for instance in Hazlan and Nova Vaasa, they risk that they are jailed or even executed as their preaching may be considered to incite an uprising. In best case scenario they would just be expelled.
In less opressed, or more renessaince like or more tolerant domains it is possible what you say. However for instance for Hazlan this is not the case. Sithicus i am unsure, however being a human allready does not help there, and if you are a preacher of a foreign fate i doubt the elves would really favour you there.
(talking just pure RP side, not considering level req-s and all.)
In harakir as they are Sun cultists they may be considered even allies, not sure about that. But in Blaustein again they would risk death to adventure there.
And I prefer not to go to such places where he risks death, even though we have the raise system, as it would just well show disrespect towards the setting. Imho.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2015, 03:24:44 AM »
Well, we're getting off topic a bit but..

I hear ya, but I don't think those are reasons that you couldn't or shouldn't go to those or other lands.

It might be dangerous, but fighting the good fight is dangerous. My point is, you can stay in Barovia and do Barovia things or you can get out there, and yes, put yourself in dangerous positions-but what you're talking about sounds like good opportunities for character and story development if nothing else. I don't see anything disrespectful of the setting by your good character setting out in to unfriendly territory to do good deeds at severe risk to themselves, in fact I think that should be something that you shouldn't be avoiding.

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2015, 05:37:54 AM »
What are you guys talking about ? level 2 to level 5 can be level up in 2 days for those that grind, to bring cap down has to wait 1 week and cap again at level 6 and will take longer time to get to level 7, cap and level progress goes hand in hand if you group and gaining too much XP within short time you get cap and takes times to disolve it. New Character Weeks people all rush to dungeons and due to setting dungeons spawn high people also gain XP super fast which resolve in CAP. My experience 2 weeks is normal for 2-6 level progress except DMs been generous with PC and they get RP reward which make them level 6 to 7 faster then other.

Well I might be wrong but from my perspective i do not notice slow progress recently, but i suspect a year or so ago it was tweak to make progress super slower at level 15 -20 .. just guessing.

Extra: also there are stages type of CAP and Bonus, Soft Cap, Medium Cap and Hard Cap. As well as Opposite where easier to gain XP or might get more XP.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 05:46:42 AM by Mayvind »

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2015, 10:49:58 AM »
My perspective mostly stems from the fact that last NCE my character went from 2-6 in maybe 4 days. By comparison this NCE my character was hitting the first cap at level 4 and I can guarantee I've not dungeoned as much.

Whether or not something has changed I dunno but that's my observation.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2015, 10:51:40 AM »
I tend to not focus on the cap for the most part and focus on the RP, which incidently provides plenty of xp

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
This isn't about RPing or not, everyone who notices this and wonders why, and wants it back to how it was, are avid RPers

But we also recognise that at the lowest level you are more eager to see an increased progression than at later levels.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #137 on: November 06, 2015, 12:46:44 PM »
But we also recognise that at the lowest level you are more eager to see an increased progression than at later levels.

Looking at Soren's chart in the first post, however, there is plenty of room to maintain an "increased progression" at lower levels than later.

That is, the expectation is 9 months to move from level 16 to 20, versus 1 week to move from level 2 to 6--a ratio of about 39:1.

Even if lower levels took three times as long, the ratio would still be 1/13th of the rate of progression later.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #138 on: November 06, 2015, 12:53:02 PM »
IMO moving to level 6 in a week is well too fast. People do it (or at least, have done) even in a few days. The general level progression for all players isn't an issue per-say; It's more the largish difference between players who can maximize their XP gain compared to those who can't either due to the lack of the build, good party, mechanical know-how or playing hours.

Sometimes it feels really silly to spend a week in level 4, while people who started at the same time are already twice that. Low-levels being a thing to zoom through in a few weeks, makes it feel unrewarding to those who enjoy the time before level 10+s and skews conflict.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 01:00:12 PM by Exordium »

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #139 on: November 06, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »
I think I disagree with everything you said there. Im actually fustrated with the current progression to the point Iv lost a lot desire to continue. I would expect in a two week period to be between 7-9, not lv 5. It makes trying more, tedious then it should be. If somebody is maximizing xp, thats their business and likely have some goal or agenda. It cant possibly be about gear or build because theres none to be had in a ncw . If your playing more hours, its obviousl you should be higher level then the ones who are not.

If they spend a week at lv 4 while others are lv 8 , which is /highly/ unlikely and inhuman amount of sleep time along with similar pcs to help attain that, then likely that lv 4 is accomplishing other goals

Now where have you seen anyone complain that they felt their low level is being unrewarded for somebody passing them up?

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #140 on: November 06, 2015, 02:02:17 PM »
Does this mean that the low levels are worthless and the real rp doesn't happen till you are higher level?

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #141 on: November 06, 2015, 02:07:57 PM »
I think I disagree with everything you said there. Im actually fustrated with the current progression to the point Iv lost a lot desire to continue. I would expect in a two week period to be between 7-9, not lv 5. It makes trying more, tedious then it should be. If somebody is maximizing xp, thats their business and likely have some goal or agenda. It cant possibly be about gear or build because theres none to be had in a ncw . If your playing more hours, its obviousl you should be higher level then the ones who are not.

I'm not talking about NCE.

Of course people who spend more time to level up their characters should have more XP than people who spend less time doing so; I just think we're slightly (not even by very much) into too big a difference between the extremes.

If they spend a week at lv 4 while others are lv 8 , which is /highly/ unlikely and inhuman amount of sleep time along with similar pcs to help attain that, then likely that lv 4 is accomplishing other goals

What I meant is a scenario where to players both started at day 1. The other went to level 4 by day 7 and level 5 by day 14. The other to level 8 by day 14. That scenario is - or, has been, I'm not fully aware of any changes done in last few months, if such there have been - not entirely unlikely even when the former player does put in more than twenty hours.

Now where have you seen anyone complain that they felt their low level is being unrewarded for somebody passing them up?

I just did? :P

EDIT: I'm not chipping this in any way as an official developer team stance, merely as my own observations and ideas. Given that I haven't played many hours a week for some months now, I'm not necessarily completely up-to-date to current trends and goings, so there might be a bit of old info buried somewhere there.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 02:15:12 PM by Exordium »

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #142 on: November 06, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
This has literally nothing to do with RP.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #143 on: November 06, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »
This has literally nothing to do with RP.

Of course it has something to do with RP.

Regardless of drive and real life commitments, every player has a finite amount of time to spend on the server. One must then allocate limited in-game time to the various activities available, among them RP.

If the XP cap does not apply to RP, then plainly that cap is an incentive to RP more and dungeon, etc. less.

Raising or removing the XP cap likewise affects that incentive, likely diminishing those who will engage in RP.

Claiming otherwise is akin to saying an emissions penalty on highly polluting cars has nothing to do with the number of green cars on the road.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

McNastea

• Dark Power
« Reply #144 on: November 06, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »
It seems to me that you're making the presumption that rp and dungeoning are mutually exclusive-which they are not.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2015, 03:22:25 PM »
It seems to me that you're making the presumption that rp and dungeoning are mutually exclusive-which they are not.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

*hangs in frame next to other framed comment from this thread*

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2015, 03:25:10 PM »
Does this mean that the low levels are worthless and the real rp doesn't happen till you are higher level?

No one is suggesting that - as Panda pointed out, someone's concern about level progression does not suggest they don't care about RP. Regarding your posts - you obviously feel very strongly about quality roleplay, which is outstanding. The sarcastic/passive-aggressive comments toward people who enjoy dungeoning and who are questioning if level progression has slowed down really aren't warranted. The great thing about POTM is that it caters to a variety of play styles. Because some may differ from yours, doesn't make the concerns of those players less valid.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »

No one is suggesting that - as Panda pointed out, someone's concern about level progression does not suggest they don't care about RP. Regarding your posts - you obviously feel very strongly about quality roleplay, which is outstanding. The sarcastic/passive-aggressive comments toward people who enjoy dungeoning and who are questioning if level progression has slowed down really aren't warranted. The great thing about POTM is that it caters to a variety of play styles. Because some may differ from yours, doesn't make the concerns of those players less valid.

My point was that it seems like people just wish to rush through the lower levels. Which can lead to the impression if you must rush to get to the higher levels then the real rp for people doesn't start till a certain level, as you are busy grinding away those levels till you get to that level to rp.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »

They're not at all and you're right, so why stop dungeoning when you stop getting XP or start getting less XP?

If people enjoy dungeoning, which is quite fine, then why stop doing it when there's no XP? To me, it says that it's not dungeoning that people like, it's the XP gains.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:48:44 PM by EO »

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2015, 03:49:03 PM »
To be fair the only thing I was doing by posting was acknowledging that I also perceive a change in how fast we're getting XP capped at low levels. It effects my ability or desire to dungeon in no way at all, its just noticeable.

And I still maintain this has nothing to do with role play. Dungeoning and role playing aren't mutually exclusive unless you chose to make them so.