You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Level progression  (Read 52522 times)

Syl

• Dark Power
Re: Level progression
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2015, 12:40:12 PM »
I THINK.. and this is only a theory..

That the cap comes based on how much EXP you acquire based on your level.. So lower levels might hit the wall faster say if they were taken to a higher level dungeon like werewolf den or terg. Since the enemies there will give more EXP than that of Crypt or smaller things. Also you have to take into account Larger groups get less exp... While it is the same amount of EXP.. it now has to be split across more people giving each person less exp for any group larger than 5 people.

this might explain why at higher levels it can take a bit longer to hit the cap. Unless you farm trolls every other day. There is more of a gap between the levels now

If that makes sense.. It made more sense in my head... Hopefully someone who is better with words can explain it better.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Better Dread than Dead

• The Bad Guy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2015, 01:15:23 PM »
I noticed that the cap became a lot harsher at lower levels soon after this topic. I think a lot of people are just starting to notice it due to NCE.

I've noticed a lot of people already going back to playing older characters, and I could be wrong but I think it might be due to being permanently capped from level 3. It makes dungeoning feel pretty worthless and there's only so long you can do tavern RP before you want to do something more interesting. That could just be me though.

I'm not presuming to speak for everyone but I think the cap was fine before it was changed and now it's just tedious. The votes were 62% in favour of not changing it when this topic was made.

Lowering the cap on XP removes a great deal of incentive for people to roll up new characters. Why would I want to make a new character when it's easier to stick with the character that I have? Part of the reason for why we have NCEs are to encourage people to roll up new characters, but the incentive's not there if people are hitting the cap at level 4 or even level 3, even if you do have a party that you are able to adventure and hit dungeons with.

All this does is ensure people are less willing to part with the characters they've spent so long to level up, and that newer characters will be unable to catch up with existing high-level characters no matter what they do. It's as others have said, those who want to grind themselves up will find a way.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 01:16:57 PM by Better Dread than Dead »

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2015, 01:21:48 PM »
I'm willing to enjoy slow early levels if other people are similarly leveled. That's what makes NCE's so entertaining for me. I have a very hard time enjoying being as low leveled and slow when I'm in the company of much higher levels, because I feel suuuuper fragile and useless.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2015, 01:26:03 PM »
[shrugs] If you want me to say possible ways to fix it...don't dungeon to much? take gaps and RP.. Gunnar is level for almost 5 and leveling at a steady rate. not hitting the wall yet. if you hitting the wall by level 4 ease up on the throttle and RP [shrugs]

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2015, 01:50:42 PM »
I suppose all the rp that is going on is utterly meaningless if one can't get the next level?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2015, 01:55:16 PM »
I hit 5 a little slower than usual but I've also been playing a very passive role. I don't really feel like levels are terribly necessary to enjoy NCE content. You can do most of the areas in Vallaki with levels 2-5, the problem is a lack of coordination. People run in blindly, don't share buffs, don't heal, etc. I'd love to smack every mage who tries to self-buff and front line in robes w/ a scythe.
: )

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2015, 02:01:16 PM »
It is definitely noticeable.  I've been capped for a few days now and the nature of the character I rolled up means he doesn't dungeon much at all.  I agree with Shelt's sentiments as well, I've noticed a lot of people switching back to older characters for chunks of time and I feel inclined to do so myself.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2015, 02:10:49 PM »
I suppose all the rp that is going on is utterly meaningless if one can't get the next level?

RP exp is not effected by the Wall/cap

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
I think the XP cap is fine--especially if it is still not capped re RP. Before NCE started and people would brag about being able to hit level 7 after only two weeks, that seemed very incongruous with the general sense of how the server is described as working.

By the way, any cap that no one complains about serves no purpose. Hence, I don't think that a democratic vote is dispositive of the issue. What would the vote be for DMs giving each of our characters 10,000 free XP? Simply because a majority wants something doesn't mean it's for the best.

Soren wrote at the time of the poll:

getting level 6 in just one to two weeks makes you hardly experience those levels.

How can anyone argue with that?

In any case, I don't intend to argue. I'm stating my preference only so that the more vocal people aren't mistaken to represent unanimity.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

Better Dread than Dead

• The Bad Guy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
I can imagine there's quite a few players who don't really enjoy experiencing what it's like to be a low-level character. Outside of NCE, you're more often than not a worthless character who's a tag-along for people who are a much higher level than you are, dead-weight. What happens once NCE's over? How are new players going to react to leveling being so slow? Personally, I think they'll be frustrated concerning their inability to advance in level. There's already a steep learning curve to PotM already, and we're only making it steeper.

As for comments like this:

I view it as rather impolite to insinuate that the only reason anyone would take issue with the cap being lowered is because they're grinding, or do not care about RP.

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2015, 02:51:50 PM »
My only complaint about the level gain is that of all the cahracters I've had so far not one of them has ever made level 20. Be nice if I could have a level 20 character one day but the way the XP progression goes on this server that is never likely going to happen as I generally loose interest in my characters well before the cap is ever reached :P

booksarefun666

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2015, 03:01:27 PM »
My only complaint about the level gain is that of all the cahracters I've had so far not one of them has ever made level 20. Be nice if I could have a level 20 character one day but the way the XP progression goes on this server that is never likely going to happen as I generally loose interest in my characters well before the cap is ever reached :P

I like the fact that 20s are rare birds not only because most don't make it there out of boredrom but because everyone at least had one situation where their character could've possibly been perma'd in those two years it takes to make it to 20.

Better Dread than Dead

• The Bad Guy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »

Like Tarrasque said, I long ago acknowledged that I would never be able to fully experience the end-game content on PotM, simply because by level 14, I either grow tired of the character and start up something fresh or he or she dies for good in a manner that is fitting to said character. This makes the revelation that it's harder to level a new character up all the more frustrating and irksome, in my opinion.

Characters, as they level, receive feats, skills, and spells which help to define them. There can be no separating the levels one acquires and these things that ultimately make that character unique and interesting. They help players fully realize the concepts they have for their character.

The lowering of the XP cap doesn't punish people who grind continuously; however, it does punish people who play a particular character exclusively for a set length of time and generally don't make alts.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 03:29:43 PM by Better Dread than Dead »

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »
I think I've mentioned this before... But while Monica O'Sullivan is about a year old... I have only played her for half a year all together and shes 16 almost 17... or.. .was almost 17 till the hak update.. not sure if it gave me back all my EXP for her..

Leveling is not extremely hard.. while it can be frustrating you just need to find the mix. If you begin to hit the cap... Take a breather.. RP for a while... If you REALLY want a level 20... just forget the cap and keep grinding.., it only caps at -50 or 60% exp from dungeons.. but then you just run more... and RP more. [shrugs] might be wrong on the percentage.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2015, 03:57:17 PM »
Like Tarrasque said, I long ago acknowledged that I would never be able to fully experience the end-game content on PotM, simply because by level 14, I either grow tired of the character and start up something fresh or he or she dies for good in a manner that is fitting to said character. This makes the revelation that it's harder to level a new character up all the more frustrating and irksome, in my opinion.

Characters, as they level, receive feats, skills, and spells which help to define them. There can be no separating the levels one acquires and these things that ultimately make that character unique and interesting. They help players fully realize the concepts they have for their character.

The lowering of the XP cap doesn't punish people who grind continuously; however, it does punish people who play a particular character exclusively for a set length of time and generally don't make alts.

*frames comment and hangs on bedroom wall*

TheGrinningHound

• Dark Lord
  • That's Mr. TheGrinningHound to you
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2015, 04:04:05 PM »
I personally just feel that it's kind of moot to begin applying a slower leveling speed, when there are characters currently at maximum level. It says something about the server that it's been able to slow the tide of aggregate character progress for as long as it has-- but ultimately I think it would simply work to widen the gap between players who have already invested the necessary time to reach level 20, and any player who would bother to try. It only works to further empower those already at the end game by making the end game for the rest of players that much harder to reach.

I mean, in order to reach level 20 you have to have serious character dedication. So while we could hope that the max level characters begin dropping off one by one until everyone is back to leveling up slower characters, it should be considered that the players in question already possess a large amount of character dedication and are unlikely to stop playing the character in favor of another anytime soon!

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2015, 04:15:30 PM »
I would also add that I think it is less likely that a player will seek closure on a high level character if it is now harder to reach the same level on a new one. The previous xp cap was a pretty serious one, especially considering level 14+ is capped in a way already. I think slowing down further may deter people from wanting to stay long-term and I'd love to keep some of our new and returning friends around longer : ) Been great seeing so many people around this NCE!

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2015, 04:17:02 PM »
I'm fairly certain we haven't touched level progression in a very long time. Don't forget that NCW started 6 days ago only, even if it feels like a lot longer, which may explain why quite a few are hitting the cap.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
the first nce I ever played I hit lvl 8 by the end, and that was only 1 week long iirc. I've been capped since the end of lvl 3 and now I'm beginning of lvl 5, it just seems different than what I'm used to
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2015, 04:38:30 PM »
Strange. I'll try to nudge Soren to look into this topic. As far as I know we haven't touched the XP rates in a very long time.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2015, 05:19:44 PM »
Im pretty sure the cap has been touched as well. all my new pcs with persistance could hit five and a half at least with easy in a day or  two with groups. I been playing on and off all week and struggled to get past lv 4 with blind drive already for a new pc.

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2015, 05:52:53 PM »
Yea , ive been mentaly exhausted for 2 days now and im only lvl 4...
Jeune Bérurier!

Time_Stomped

• Undead Master
« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2015, 06:09:40 PM »
Ugh, anything slower at 9-12 would be quit worthy.  I'd like to at least reach Sithicus.
Istavan Donner

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »
Ugh, anything slower at 9-12 would be quit worthy.  I'd like to at least reach Sithicus.

sithicus?:D
Last of the new areas i've seen was like 20% of Harakir:D And i think the new "RP" zones of Dementliue:D
I think highest i ever got was 14.
But currently my highest level char will not really and likely have ANY reason to leave barovia:) (Morninglordian:P)(not to mention he is nowhere near 14:D)
I think if all goes according to plan i may reach level 12 with rudrig around 2017 and then i can continue my exploration of Harakir, maybe even try a visit to ghastria and Hazlan to see what those places even are:D
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2015, 07:21:57 PM »

My understanding is that RP experience is not throttled or capped.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP