Author Topic: Werewolves need love  (Read 12182 times)

Katarina

• New to the Mists
Werewolves need love
« on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:38 PM »
The werewolves on this server are severely underpowered and unloved! People are more afraid of Spiders and Wererats then Werewolves on this server and it's an absolute disgrace! There are clearly multiple reasons for this: Wizards of the coast's terrible werewolf template, The fact that werewolves are so common here it cheapens their effect, No werewolf MPC Packs, and quite frankly if there are Werewolf MPC's They have clearly not been very good.

Werewolves are one of the classic monsters. I am trying to run a character who is terrified of Werewolves but it's really hard to do when she can Electrocute them in whole groups. I can't believe I am actually suggesting to make this server that has knocked me on my back so many times I lost count even more difficult. You'll never meet someone who loves werewolves more then I.

As such I am begging you to make them stronger. Werewolves should be feared, they should be the hunters of the night. Kings of their domain. Let the Vampires rule the Civilized places of man. Werewolves should rule the forests and the lands surrounding it. While the Wererats and spiders fight over the scrap like the vermin they are.

End of rant.

IDreamofDaleks

Re: Werewolves need love
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 02:35:13 PM »
This please. So much this.

I think this could even be alleviated some by making some other sort of monster the prevalent spawn in the night  (Maybe even just normal worgs) And saving Werewolves for special spawns, AMPCs/MPCs and DM quests. Make them something that's truly feared. I personally hate that I can see them, and kill them easily (And with more ease as levels pass) in the outskirts, and then have a whole dungeon dedicated to their mass slaughter.

It makes the Gothic Horror fan in me cry a little :(..but then, so does the Tergs.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 03:04:38 PM »
I gotta agree with this. Werewolves are a classic movie monster for a reason and there's entire domains dedicated to them being a giant evil in the land.  During the first part of new character week, all newbies had to do was get to around level 4  and use magic weapon/bless weapon/ect [low buff spells] and stand toe to toe with the night spawns and wolf caves.

So I'd suggest

Lessen the amount of werewolves - as others have said
Up their damage a tad
Give them haste, they're supernatural creatures that can run down a human.

Due to never played a MPC, I can't really give much on them say for they're the weakest creature player around even compared to the Were-rat which gets far more benefits to work with.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 03:12:05 PM »
Actually, I do believe most low level characters are actually afraid of werewolves/rats. My druid knows he cannot face them alone as he still has no weapons able to harm them. But this is still a D&D game, where heroes band together because they have the courage to face what others are too afraid to stand against. Therefore I find nothing wrong with people banding to take them down.

The actual problem is that werewolves, outside of DM interaction, do not have their iconic power to infect others with lycanthropy AND the fact players do not RP that fear (that is another issue about which little can be done about). This is perfectly understandable, we would not want all the player base to turn into werewolves after all.

But maybe an alternative that could induce some rightful fear of the neuri. How about the possibility that every time one is hit by a lycanthrope there could be a small percentile chance for a limited form of lycanthropy to affect the player and to be turned into a worg/dire rat/whatever approprite animal type. This could last only a few turns in which the player would loose control of his alt and turn hostile to other players around. Would that be feasable within the game engine?

But trust me Katarina, when werewwolves are controlled by DMs, players WILL fear them. DM Treason every now and then loves to remind people why it is a good idea to stay inside during Barovia's nights.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 03:18:05 PM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 03:12:51 PM »
I've played a AMPC werewolf, in the werewolf form you are hasted.. But it is certainly a weaker were-creature depending on how it is done.

monster wise, yes please! Please lower the werewolf spawn so they become frightening again!
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »
In game the wererats are more dangerous than wolves, I think.
: )

FatBunny

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 03:47:38 PM »
I agree. Take many of the werewolves spawns out, throw some steroids on them, and make them a DM event creature. I want to chug my only haste pot and sprint away from one if I merely see one.
Player of:
Koshnu Vesphol
Nyver Aritek

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »
In game the wererats are more dangerous than wolves, I think.
That's because they can hide and get sneak attack.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

FatBunny

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 04:18:51 PM »
I have to agree. One on one, I'd rather fight a werewolf than a wererat. They're brutal.
Player of:
Koshnu Vesphol
Nyver Aritek

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 04:24:49 PM »
I agree. Take many of the werewolves spawns out, throw some steroids on them, and make them a DM event creature. I want to chug my only haste pot and sprint away from one if I merely see one.

LOL reading this thread I have to say yes up the werewolves. but i also remember having to chug many potions when i was fighting two MPC werewolfs until dawn....I was nerves and scared thinking i was going to die then dawn came and i was like. "YES!!!!!! OH THANK YOU SUN!!!" I want to have to drink a haste pot to GTF out of there when i see them. or even to stand toe to toe in hopes... I don't die.

And even if you don't remove them throw a few roids their way. make them level a higher level when i first played i looked at a brutish werewolf and wnt.. Oh F***... now unless i have like no AC or HP i just laugh at them because they have one attack and I have two ( they might have two attacks but their AB is so low it hardly matters that or the dice have just hate them). Now a pack of Abberants.... THose still make me nerves even at level 12 or a werewolf lord?! Duces i'm out at first sight of those things.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 04:26:49 PM »
Most people I know know my opinion on Wererats: they're not feral brute monsters that are ten foot tall with giant heads, but rather cunning thieves, spies, and assassins.  Even feral ones tend to not attack outright, being very ratlike in behavior.  I'm still one who thinks they should be removed from the module until proper models are found for them (as well as give them the ability to use weapons.)

Werewolves, however.  I largely agree with most opinions, though I don't think they should be made much stronger, because then one can argue that things like vampires or outsiders should be even harder.

Uping things levels is a knee jerk response.  Just find an alternative to werewolves, and let the DMs use them to their liking.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:41:03 PM »
I think you can solve the werewolf issue by having them run in larger packs and improving their AI.  They are pack animals anyway, but I have seen groups of PCs separate a group of three and take them all out one at a time.  Pack animals should hunt as a pack, with pack tactics, and not get separated easily, and would gang up on the weakest targets.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »
I am so glad this was brought up. They really need to be beefed up, i think they should be a mid level challenge.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:18:24 PM »
Werewolves are quite scary for lowbies like level < 8 depending on equipment and class. However, they are very very common. I suggest at least lower the spawn rate and replace them with wolves and worgs. If they are less common, then surviving about it and telling the tale would be worth something more let alone killing one. However, in the Salvich woods near the village they should be common. But near Vallaki woods.. I think less common. It needs to be a matter of location and rate. Unless Vallaki has a serious issue of werewolves that I am not aware of. I am sure the locals would be scared of wolves and worgs especially they are being the size of horses.

P.S. There are some really really big and nasty werewolves. They are just rare. So don't think there isnt.

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
Monsterous werewolves will ruin your day.

And don't let me mention Werewolf Lords.

plsno.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »
I disagree. The werewolves are wimpy, even the lords. maybe more hp will help.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »
I'm all for more variety in the night spawns. It's true, werewolves are not that tough. Kith has been able to take 2-3 on by himself with next to no potion buffs for a while now and he's only level 10 (albeit, I've been that level for over 6 months now, due to my playing style) and doesn't even really own great gear, so I wouldn't mind seeing them beefed up some and made more rare. As alternatives that maintain the supernatural horror feeling you could go for ghostly animals or, as I found out during a particularly intense adventure run by DM Nocturne: bats that turn into werebats in the same fashion that the werewolves currently do. I remember a Barovian PC shooting at bats before, and when Kith asked why, his response was that you never know if they're really bats. Bring that fear to life!

TL/DR:
- Beef up werewolves and make them rarer
- Replace spawns with bats that turn into werebats

Olywynn

• Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »
I'm all for more variety in the night spawns. It's true, werewolves are not that tough. Kith has been able to take 2-3 on by himself with next to no potion buffs for a while now and he's only level 10 (albeit, I've been that level for over 6 months now, due to my playing style) and doesn't even really own great gear, so I wouldn't mind seeing them beefed up some and made more rare. As alternatives that maintain the supernatural horror feeling you could go for ghostly animals or, as I found out during a particularly intense adventure run by DM Nocturne: bats that turn into werebats in the same fashion that the werewolves currently do. I remember a Barovian PC shooting at bats before, and when Kith asked why, his response was that you never know if they're really bats. Bring that fear to life!

TL/DR:

Just to note, Barovia is infested with bats.  They're very common, and you'd never had the time or energy to shoot every bat you see.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 11:45:09 PM »
There was a White Werewolf running around the outskirts of VOB during full moons for awhile a year or two ago that was very scary. Stan was at that point high enough level that he could wander around relatively freely after dark so I went and checked him out....and promptly got my ass HANDED to me. (Followed by the inevitable server crash of course.) Thereafter I was actually sort of nervous about gathering materials around VOB if there was a full moon out.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:47:01 PM by respawnaholic »

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 12:39:53 AM »

TL/DR:

Just to note, Barovia is infested with bats.  They're very common, and you'd never had the time or energy to shoot every bat you see.

Yes, but not every bat would be a werebat, obviously... which is what would make them that much scarier. You could even add in bats that turn into vampires (with a low spawn rate) and doombats to the spawn list, just to keep things more random and interesting.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:42:16 AM by Serillian »

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 02:48:35 AM »
I think I remember reading at one point that Perfidus is intended for a group of lvl 14+, am I wrong about that? If not I'd wonder why then it's a problem that a lvl 10 character can fight a few werewolves, or rather, what lvl you think would be more appropriate to manage that at? If not ten, then what; 13, 15? If a group of lvl 14's can kill pit fiends then I have a hard time swallowing that one couldn't take on some werewolves. Maybe the problem isn't so much the strength of the monster but peoples perception of what a characters lvl indicates about their strength/ability. You may only have half the possible lvls at 10, but consider that a lvl 10 wizard has access to over half the spell circles which include some pretty powerful spells. By lvl 10 you're a seasoned adventurer, so if you're the fighter type, why shouldn't you be able to handle werewolves? Do we really want werewolves on par with creatures that should obviously be able to snap a neuri in two just because we don't comprehend the power our characters represent?

Additionally, replacing packs of werewolves with random werebats and low level vampires is by no means an even trade. Werebats are a joke, and single low lvl vampires aren't much of a challenge either-not compared to packs of werewolves-especially the stronger spawns like abberants and mountain loup-garous. Neither are ghost creatures. Getting rid of werewolves and trying to replace them with these things would make night time a joke, and we'd be seeing another thread pop up shortly after about how no one fears the night anymore (again), but it would be entirely valid because no one would have a reason to. Werewolves might be too easy in peoples minds, but they're the only thing keeping people from treating the night like the day.

In summation, get some perspective on how powerful your character is. You might not be max lvl or even what you'd consider "high" level, but you're no chump if you're able to solo them. Personally I think they represent a challenge fitting of them. Move on to more "epic" fights or sit back and play the seasoned veteran for the noobs-warning them about neuri and giving them tips on surviving out there if they insist on going.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 03:02:35 AM »
I have no problem with my level 10 being able to handle a few werewolves,  but zidonne who isn't a power build,  but an rp build bard,  was able to down his first solo at level 4. There's my take on it.  Give them more hp and see if that helps. 
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Katarina

• New to the Mists
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 04:15:12 AM »
They need a lot more then more Hp to be the classic monster they are supposed to be. Werewolves were not intended to be the entrance monsters of D&D Rats are. Let the Wererats be the entrance monsters and let the Werewolves take the spot of a Mid to high level monster.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 04:59:57 AM »
I think the challenge of the werewolves are fine. Maybe nerf the wererats some if you want. I am think the frequency of werewolves are maybe a bit high. I don't suggest replacing them with vampires, werebats, or other creatures that mystical or magical. I am thinking simple wolves and worgs. A dire wolf and even alpha wolf can eat your lunch, my level 17 sometimes has trouble with alpha wolves if they are a bunch of them. Replace them with more common things like wolves and worgs and make the werewolves spawn a little less. When you run into a werewolf its a little more rarer than a wolf and should surprise the heck out of you. If you are commonly see more wolves at night and not werewolves, when a wolf suddenly changes it gives you a quick freight of being unexpected and newbies here won't know what hit them. Level 10s are little more season. Level 10s and so should be heading toward the village or other challenging places.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 09:10:02 AM »
The white werewolf If i remember correctly is a DM spawn only I have personally only seen it once during a DM event with DM Mac, and yeah as respawn said..
promptly got my ass HANDED to me.
...So did Atlantia and I...it was painful. but the other spawns around Valiki they are truely not that hard. I recall sitting there by level 8ish Sylvonas, who was yes ment to kill things but i just threw her together.. would walk the whole road betwen Valiki and midway and kill every last werewolf until dawn by herself most nights unbuffed. the only ones that gave me any problems were the abberant since they were higher level then me.

And i wouldn't really say the werewolf lords are easy because i remember being level about level 12 and STILL having to work on killing them and that was with a buffed monk and a cleric healing us. I wouldn't replace the spawns with werebats though as Mcnasty said and we all know they are a joke. I saw there and whated one run from a ghost stag... A FLIPPING GHOST STAG!..does not stop you from replacing some bats that fly around with a doom bat or carrior bat. those things are annoying and at low levels they are difficult to kill..
But takking on 5 or 6 mix of brutish and abberant werewolves solo still hurts a fighter. i was more scared of the greater wolfweres then the other werewolves you normally faced near Valiki.

Maybe we do remove the Werewolf spawns to a rarer apperance and beef them up a bit. and replace them with worgs dires and alpha wolves and throw in those bat sawrms..... just no werebat we all laugh at the one we see already and would think the weremink would pose more of a threat.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero