You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Grave Scarabs  (Read 3819 times)

Noromical

• New to the Mists
Grave Scarabs
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:54:08 PM »
Undead; No problem! Giant Spiders; Bring it on! Werewolves; Come at me! Grave scarabs? AW HELL NAW!

Let's face it, the scariest thing down in the crypts are those tiny little scarabs. They bleed you, they spawn in such a way that you cannot move, and their AC is ridiculous! While I understand that they are small and fast, making them hard to hit, and the bleeding we can all deal with. But why, WHY do they have collision boxes? Shouldn't a person, even a halfling, be able to just step OVER them? Could we do something to lower their AC, or remove their unit collision? Such a small creature should NOT be able to stop a half-orc from moving away after all.
Chala Fearino - Brass Monk
Bianca Arcose - Vallaki Guard Private
Peram West - Halfling Treasure Hunter

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: Grave Scarabs
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 01:07:00 PM »
They also have 1 hp.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

DirtyGoblin

• Undead Slayer
  • The Dirtiest of Goblins
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 01:30:21 PM »
Havent you watched The Mummy? Robbing graves is bad for your health. :)

de_reguer

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 01:31:18 PM »
Undead; No problem! Giant Spiders; Bring it on! Werewolves; Come at me! Grave scarabs? AW HELL NAW!

Let's face it, the scariest thing down in the crypts are those tiny little scarabs. They bleed you, they spawn in such a way that you cannot move, and their AC is ridiculous! While I understand that they are small and fast, making them hard to hit, and the bleeding we can all deal with. But why, WHY do they have collision boxes? Shouldn't a person, even a halfling, be able to just step OVER them? Could we do something to lower their AC, or remove their unit collision? Such a small creature should NOT be able to stop a half-orc from moving away after all.

You should have seen how black puddings used to be. Instant death the first time someone hits them with an edged weapon and your standing next to one.  

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
These foes are actually overrated in danger, and just needs abit of planing to deal with. And can be awesome XP at low levels.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
We do not speak of the Pud'n'alypse.

As for grave scarabs, they're deadly at low levels due to being one of the few monsters that does on hit bleed and have decent AC. Their downside is, as Tycat said, very low HP.  They can be prevented by not robbing corpses you find in the dungeons, and sticking to containers such as boxes and coffins.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »
Keep honest! don't fool yourself, touching corpses and tombs in the crypts and taking stuff IS grave robbing! Just to let you paladin types and follower of death gods know. And yeah, they are a challenge. That's why it's good to have a balanced party. I remember during April NCW Ghail would call lightning the heck out of them, which is why he was so often pulled down there in the first place.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Zwickelfaust

• The Gorefist
  • Dark Power
  • Catching natural 20s from monsters since birth.
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 02:40:59 PM »
You should worry more about Urzica the deceiver shooting chain lightning up your butt for robbing the dead of four gold and a glow jar. She is a far more dangerous price to pay for robbing then the scarabs are.
Hjorta the Heartless- Seidr Wight
Allek Mars- Dawnbringer
Asmund Ingvar- Berserker Runemaster

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 02:50:09 PM »
You can take them out with a grenadelike weapon like alchemist's fire.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

LeviShultz

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 04:43:25 PM »
Caltrops

/thread

"A no wisdom ranger is literally unwise."

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 07:47:10 PM »
Caltrops

/thread

Ugh.  So you are the one leaving caltrops behind for me to step on later.   :lol:

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 08:13:13 PM »
But why, WHY do they have collision boxes? Shouldn't a person, even a halfling, be able to just step OVER them? Could we do something to lower their AC, or remove their unit collision? Such a small creature should NOT be able to stop a half-orc from moving away after all.

I think it's because rp wise they would be crawling on you.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 09:40:29 PM »
All creatures have hitboxes.  That's just how the game engine works.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Winter

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 11:31:21 AM »
I run ever time I see 'em.  :lol: . Just come back later!

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2014, 12:10:02 PM »
Honestly all you need is a tank, heck at level 3 on many pcs I can easily handle these, by various means, AOE flasks ala alchemist fire is the easiest though, plus their good solid xp up till roughly level 7 or so! Even in a party with four or so people they're good xp gains up to roughly level 4 or so then! I got more xp on Lauel here by grave scarab kills then often killing the undead spawns!  :lol:

Personally I think if my only gripe on them is that the spawn location of the bodies triggers the common 'stuck' feel the original poster mentioned, ala being in corners in places. The ones along the open halls aint so bad though