Author Topic: What is going on with the lights in inns?  (Read 4435 times)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
What is going on with the lights in inns?
« on: December 18, 2014, 06:02:42 AM »
Any chances the lighting can get corrected in the Vallaki inns? They are inexplicably dark for such places. Heck, Berthold will pay in game for new chandeliers in the Outskirt inn.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 06:04:22 AM by MAB77 »
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: What is going on with the lights in inns?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 01:12:38 AM »
It actually makes more sense to have them darker. I think the problem is rather that some of the candles (namely the ones on the tables) don't throw off any light, and so half of the room is bathed in darkness. At least, that is the case with the Lady's Rest.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 03:44:53 AM »
This is a bug -  all the lights that have an on/off option (Braziers, Candellebras, and so on) are spawning in turned off.  This has persisted across a few resets for at least a week now, possibly further.

Also, it seems some of the ambient lighting in buildings is now missing as well.

Xarnata_Mobile

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »
Lights in spawn zones reset with the spawns as a sort of ambiance for the battle ahead, otherwise fires can't last forever without fuel. Also, have you used a real candle? That light is so medieval a cave man thinks it's. small.  But yeah, candle lights were reduced for ambiance. No more 'is it day outside? it's bright in here.'

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »
I personally prefer it like this.  I would be bummed to see it lighten up. 
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
Xarnata - In reference to this being intentional, can you point me to where you got that info from just for my own curiosity?  I read as far back as October and didn't see a mention of it in the Changelog.

The reason I assumed it was a Bug is because there are certain areas that this doesn't make sense for.  Example - All of the (ex) Wachter fortifications had Braziers in them that looked nice and creepy from a distance, and didn't actually do much to take away from the darkness of the area.  But now they've just got about 20 flame-less objects that resemble metal bowls on stands around the fortifications.  (The map with the Orphanage exterior on it, from the top of my head, perhaps it was called "Old Svalich Road - West", but I could be wrong.)

Additionally, there are some indoor maps that are now 100% dark, with zero ambient light whatsoever, and have NPCs just hanging around in total darkness next to many (turned off) Candellebras, candles, and other sources of light.  I know I could go around and turn them on, it's just strange to have to do that every time the area resets.
Example - The Red Vardo HQ in Vallaki.  All the NPCs are hanging around in pitch blackness, even the fireplace no longer gives off light.

If the intent was to scale the amount of light down and this IS intentional, then that's cool.  I'm definitely not trying to complain about less ambient light being around. I think it's a good idea.   I just think it might have had a few unintended side-effects.  All in all, not a big deal, I just assumed it to be a bug, and was trying to be helpful in troubleshooting.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 07:20:30 PM »
Example - The Red Vardo HQ in Vallaki.  All the NPCs are hanging around in pitch blackness, even the fireplace no longer gives off light.
This happened before a few years ago. A member had become a MPC, I thought it was her turning them off every reset, it was spooky!

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
This is a bug and should be fixed in the next update.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 05:12:16 AM »
Yeah, I thought I had fixed it to be honest, but seems it didn't cover all instances. Gonna look at it now, hoping for a small update this afternoon :)

whatdoesitmater

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 09:43:13 AM »
Dimitry's smithy in the Vallaki Wear house District was over looked. It keeps resetting to pitch black whenever it is empty, and the braziers do not relight when a PC enters.

modderpunk

• Developers
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 01:29:37 PM »
what seems weird to me is that it seems like as the sun comes up outside it gets a lot darker in a lot of inside places. I have noticed this in the outskirts inn and temple but it probably happens in more places.

Building out off the mists

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 02:16:08 PM »
what seems weird to me is that it seems like as the sun comes up outside it gets a lot darker in a lot of inside places. I have noticed this in the outskirts inn and temple but it probably happens in more places.
I've noticed that too, but what i attribute it to is like... shadow being cast from the walls. You know at night, it's brighter inside than outside, and in day, it's brighter outside than inside. It also gives the atmosphere of your eyes  adjusting to the lights. I notice it happens in most places that aren't well lit. like it doesn't effect the Theatre in Port, but then again the streets are well lit at night and the buildings are well lit all day long - not just by a few candles. It certainly isn't server wide, but it's been happening so long, that I don't believe it's a glitch, is it?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 08:34:35 PM »
Speaking of light. I sometimes, rememebred seeing flickering lanterns and stuff while walking down the roads in Vallaki. Whats that all about?

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 08:36:26 PM »
Speaking of light. I sometimes, rememebred seeing flickering lanterns and stuff while walking down the roads in Vallaki. Whats that all about?

It's the way the light VFX's are handled in NwN. You have to get close to them to see them, hence the flickering.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 11:09:49 AM »

It's the way the light VFX's are handled in NwN. You have to get close to them to see them, hence the flickering.

Ahhh! That explains it. I thought it was my game buging out most of the time.  :)