Author Topic: Loot vs Enchanting -- a balance question  (Read 6571 times)

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
Re: Loot vs Enchanting -- a balance question
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 12:27:29 PM »
And besides.. I'm sure there is much more loot out there that no one has seen yet because it hasn't dropped.

I would have to say at this point, then the items are /too/ rare, if looted items are supposed to be a stepping stone to enchanted gear.

There used to be some nice things to find in that lucky scenario and you cant any more. Anyone recall the lock picking rings? They are not in the tables anymore or it has a .001 chance that cant be hit. I can name several other items that everyone seeks out but cant gain as they are just not there. Shame we dont have enchanting slots open for +3 to any skill on a ring or such.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 12:50:33 PM »
And besides.. I'm sure there is much more loot out there that no one has seen yet because it hasn't dropped.

I would have to say at this point, then the items are /too/ rare, if looted items are supposed to be a stepping stone to enchanted gear.

There used to be some nice things to find in that lucky scenario and you cant any more. Anyone recall the lock picking rings? They are not in the tables anymore or it has a .001 chance that cant be hit. I can name several other items that everyone seeks out but cant gain as they are just not there. Shame we dont have enchanting slots open for +3 to any skill on a ring or such.

But that would involve having to craft said ring. which involves another two crafting system introduced, which isn't much of a big deal but i'm sure the developers and people that work wit hstuff like that have their Pallet full at the moment

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Meriana

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »
In other words, crafting enchanting is intended as providing the general purpose gear, with loot being more like temporary improvements, special purpose items or simply curiosities.

My primary concern with this is that it seems that if enchanting provides the best (general) gear, then all the bedecked characters will have enchanted gear, and thus all the best items come from this one wacky new machine, with all items created throughout history being worse... Which seems, well, a bit dull.

In other words, I myself would prefer if the best items about also had a curiosity-factor, as that in many ways makes the experience of an item richer. I realise that the experience of crafting the base items for enchanting can be rewarding, though, like Mika pointed out, but it still seems a bit tamer to me.

This might simply be my own personal preference at play, which doesn't necessarily match all (or anyone) else's, though: and if what took place before enchanting was the best/viablest was that people superfarmed locations for select few rare drops, and that those drops were considered the best and everyone eventually had those, then the same issue of all bedecked characters using the same items were present before too, and would then not be any new issue specifically related to enchanting.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
I think it wouldn't hurt to have a few neat items with a bit of lore/historical value scattered about.  The only thing though is that they should be super rare, firstly because they'd be better than enchanted items and secondly because it would prevent everyone from having them, at least for a time.