Author Topic: Dementlieu - Election!  (Read 2519 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
Dementlieu - Election!
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:24:01 PM »
PEOPLE OF FAIR DEMENTLIEU:

We as a people mourn the passing of Councilor Josephine Chantreaux, one of my trusted advisors on the Council of Brilliance. She was a woman of tremendous courage and strength, who dedicated her life to the safeguarding of this great republic. It was only a few decades ago that she established the Gendarmerie, a peacekeeping force spanning the country, which replaced the need for private guards to patrol the cities, towns, and villages in our great republic. It was only in 729 BC that the Treaty of Four Towers was signed by myself, Lady Renier of Richemulot, Sefeasa Boritsi of Borca, and Lord Weathermay of Mordent; a young Chantreaux played no small part in the drafting of what would become that treaty.

Suffice it to say we wouldn't be half as strong and ready as we are today, were it not for Councilor Chantreaux. We should mourn her passing, but we should not mourn for overlong, for there is much work to be done, and two seats on the Council of Brilliance lie vacant. We must decide who will help me lead this country and serve as my advisors.

Several have announced their desire to serve on the Council of Brilliance. Those who are of gentle birth, men and women, must help me decide on two candidates that best fit what I have come to expect from my advisors – a sharp mind, social grace, and dignity. I invite you to look over the list of candidates below and make your decision within the coming month. I also invite those who are listed as candidates to write a statement for others to read, explaining what they stand for, what issues they take the most seriously, and why they think they stand out amidst the other candidates.

Bonne chance,

~ Lord Governor Marcel Guignol

Candidates:

- Maitre Wymmer Drukker, M.D.
- Lord Louis de Bellegarde
- Dame Adeline Laurent
- Viscomte Vespasien Rancourt
- Renault Paul, Esq.

Dread

• Dark Power
Re: Dementlieu - Election!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
[Below is space offered to the candidates, so that they may give a written statement detailing their platform, where they stand on the issues, and why they should be made a Councilor over the others listed. Statements from others will more than likely be removed, and those who posted them fined or jailed.]

Geiger

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:05:12 PM »
I, Rennault Paul, stand up for you, you brilliant minds! You innovators, you investors, you hard working, well meaning people! I shall stand for progress and reason!

But woe you degenerates, those too lazy to commit to our fair nation and all its glories! You who would rather scream and riot than put in even an honest hour of labour! You who plots to to involve us in the conflicts of others! You should fear the day of my ascent!

As Councilor, I would work towards ending the unnecessary practice of food ticketing for the so-called downtrodden! It is an unhealthy practice, a disharmony to the humors of our fair nation, to subsidize the -laziness- of those who cannot find the will to find their own food, to cook their own meals! Why is it our responsibility to feed these leeches? Those resources could go towards the betterment of our society, towards better infrastructure for our fair city, or better... towards the exploration of our world, yes, towards the establishment of colonies in the mist-clouded corners of our world!

As Councilor, I would work towards the day we are -removed- from the 'Treaty of Four Towers' - with no disrespect to the late Councilor Josephine Chantreaux, this document is a folly! It is mutual suicide pact, that should one nation come under some struggle, that they all would be toppled together! It is also a document of antagonization! It incenses the Falkovnian nation to strike at us, to continue to view us as its foe! Take your mind to three years before, when the nation of Lamordia was nearly added to the treaty, the summit was held here, and where did Falkovnia strike? They struck here! No more treaty, no more worries of Falkovnian aggression!

If you value innovation, exploration, and peace? Then let us hope I am elected to the council. Any other brought to Council will only bring our nation closer to ruin!

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 12:18:06 AM »
"I, Vespasien Rancourt, do declare to the fine people of Dementlieu that if they seek sound guidance and superior leadership in these turbulent times, they need look no further. I am easily the most qualified to lead the republic, being of gentle birth from a prestigious family, and no stranger to the art of statecraft.

I believe wholeheartedly that the insurrectionists that encouraging misguided youths to take up arms against the Lord-Governor and his government need to be hunted down like the vermin they are and given the justice they are due; however, I also believe that the suspension of the social programs the commons have come to rely on for their own welfare was ill advised. I do not believe the system should be expanded or made any larger than it was before the recently approved budget saw these programs cut, but I do wish for them to be reinstated. Our country is like a human body, and we cannot take care of one part of our body while leaving other parts of it to fester and become sick with infectious diseases and pestilence.

I also believe we need to subsidize our country's industries and commercial endeavors, and not just those that are associated with my family's holdings. I believe it wise for us to see every business in Port-a-Lucine prosper, especially if they help to turn the wheels of progress. It is through the development of new inventions, entrepreneurship, and creative innovation that we shall find ourselves overtaken by a revolution, a change in the way things are. To follow the words of anarchists is folly, especially when we know there is a better way... and there is, through me."

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 12:40:50 AM »
"Running a country isn't too different from operating a business. For this reason, I want to try my hand at serving as an advisor for our Lord-Governor as a member of his Council of Brilliance. I am Lord Louis de Bellegarde, chief owner of the Bellegarde Trading Company and one of its founders as well. I don't want to prattle on and on about who I am. I don't claim to be the most qualified individual to ever have ran for office here, but I do know what I am not. Let me ask those among you who are of gentle birth some questions that I believe are important and require an answer.

Is giving power to a woman who dreams of stifling all trade we have with the rest of the Core with taxes on foreign merchants and investors best for our republic?

Is giving power to a Lamordian only recently ennobled by virtue of his marriage with a Richemuloise woman committed to an asylum best for our republic?

Is giving power, hand over foot, to an already extremely powerful and influential house, the Rancourts, best for our republic?

Is giving power to a man who believes that sending explorers out blindly into the Sea of Sorrows is a good idea, best for our republic?

If you answered 'no' to all of the above questions, I applaud you for your display of intellect. While that leaves only me as the sole candidate, I can promise you a vote for me is a show of trust I shall not betray, and I shall guide this ship of state towards prosperity and enlightenment. Thank you."

Roose

• Dark Power
  • Neat.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »
It is truly arrogance to think that what you did yesterday will be sufficient for tomorrow. Metal rusts from disuse; water loses its purity from stagnation. Even so does inaction sap the vigor of a people or nation. It is innovation alone that drives economic growth, it is the specific instrument of entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship endows resources with a new capacity to create wealth. And a vote for Maitre Wymmer Drukker is a vote for a new era of innovation.

My opponent Lord Louis de Bellegarde unfairly lists each candidate and asks "would you give power to them?". While a position on the council undoubtedly could be used for selfish pursuits, as Lord Bellegarde seems to have on his mind. Let us not forget the position's true intent, and that is as advisers and assistants to our Lord Governor, Marcel Guignol. While other candidates will boast of reasons they ought to lead you, I will entreat you with why I should serve you and our Lord Governor. I will endeavor to encourage technological advancements both wondrous and practical. Mechanized spinning wheels, and looms are already in use in many of out textile factories, but with further advancement in this field and many others we can free ourselves from the dependency on manual labor. A dependency that now threatens to hold us hostage with laborers refusing to work. With state encouragement and subsidies, these devices will improve and become more affordable and common, to a point where even our most rural areas could be transformed from agricultural to industrial economies. While never forgetting what truly elevates our Serine Republic above other countries - the wonderful culture of the arts and gentle pursuits. I will continue projects such as the Coalition for the Protection of Fine Arts, and legislature that protects those who endeavor into such noble careers, and preservation of the national treasures they create.

I believe very strongly in the security of our Republic, and will continue to protect it from threats both within and without. By upholding our agreement of the Treaty of the Four Towers, we can assure that we do not stand alone against Falkovnian threat. Additionally I hope to reopen negotiation with our neighbors to the north in hopes to one day assure Lamordia's addition to the Treaty, thereby strengthening our position and denying Falkovnia potential allies and trade partners in the region. I will not deny or conceal that I am an immigrant to our Republic, and not of any great lineage. Nor shall I forget that I am something of an outsider when held up to other members of the gentry - therefore I will be under all the more scrutiny and must strive harder than my opponents to serve The Republic, the land that adopted me, the land I owe everything to.

-Maitre Wymmer Drukker
Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.

puckwolf

• Dark Power
  • Internet Boomer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 01:00:25 AM »
I have faced much adversity and tragedy in my life, I will use the strength i've gained to continue my late husbands legacy of bettering  our beloved republic. It is no secret that our Republic faces challenges on all fronts - the Falkovnian menace, the vile acts of sedition committed by these so called revolutionaries, and the poor and starving in Ouvrier to count but a few. Challenges such as these require strong, committed leaders unafraid to do what needs to be done for the good of the people. I live to serve the people of our grand Republic, and it should be clear that a vote for me is the only logical choice.

Should I be elected to the council of brilliance I propose initiatives that will resolve the pressing issues at hand. The Laurent Tax has performed it's goal admirably but it is not enough. I propose to increase the amount that we are taxing visitors to our city - those that bring wealth to our streets but do not contribute to our society.  They enjoy the luxuries and safety of our fair city freely and often do nothing but hoard their wealth in the Governor's Hotel penthouse.   No longer shall that be the case for their tax money will be utilized to feed the ailing poor, support the brave gendarme, improve infrastructure, and create new public parks and museums among other worthy projects.  Those unable to pay the fines will be enrolled in community service programs where they will clean the streets, load and unload shipments in the docks, serve in soup kitchens and engage in other worthwhile activities.  Merchants and other important contributors to our society will be alleviated from the burden of such a tax and of course welcome to continue conducting their businesses.

While we shall remain open minded to foreign cultures, as we are the core's center of enlightenment, we must remain vigilant of those visiting our great city who do not understand our ideals and traditions, and by doing so prevent our cultures from becoming homogenized.  Additionally, we will no longer simply blindly accept renegades and miscreants fleeing justice from other countries.  We shall come down tougher on these criminal, rabble-rousers!  

I will do everything in my power to make this Republic great again. Show faith in me, and I shall repay you by giving you faith once again in Dementlieu.

Dame Adeline Laurent
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:23:23 AM by puckwolf »