You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Server Economy  (Read 21057 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Re: Server Economy
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2015, 11:32:23 PM »

The real trick with making money and starting a business is to be active, be creative, and be personable! Forget about making forum posts about your shop and leaving it at that, set up IG and sit around and interact with people. That's how people learn your name. Levels and connections don't matter if you can accomplish those things, connections will happen once people get to know you.

That "personable" comment is not necessarily true either, if you remember, you used to work along side Gavaine. Was he personable? Hell no. Did people buy/sell to him? Always. Why? Consistancy. Having RP is huge, even if you're rp is being a jerk, you can still make it.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

de_reguer

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2015, 11:41:35 PM »
What I have issues with in economy is when character who should be much more powerful than for example  adventure X, is far from as rich and powerful as the adventure x, Cause dungeons do give plenty of gold if one know how to do it.  Or people know of some solution to not be poor as hell when not dungeoning? Don't tell me go on bounties or do errands. A lvl 10+ dont run  errands and bounties do not fit icly for all characters. "Oh im just a religious leader of this religion in this town! But I run errands to Krofburg on sundays with  cheese wheels to afford holding mass and such!". Thats some weird visions I get now of this elderly priest and community leader of a PC running down a hill to catch the cheese wheels that fell off the oxen.

Like Mcnastea said. Probably the best and most consistent way of making gold on this server isn't with items, but PERISHABLE items. Potions, varnishes, bolts, arrows, shield broaches, rods of the ghost, etc. For that matter if you want to make a generously nice amount of gold but don't feel like investing time in crafting sell bags of flowers and mushrooms to someone that does. Depending on the time of year and the player some PCs will buy bags for 1000 to 2000 gold. Thats a nice sum for just just running around a bit. In fact at least until higher levels its probably the best way of making gold on the server.

Keep in mind that past a certain level most characters have already spent all the gold they need on their equipment so their bank accounts grow because they literally have nothing to spend gold on barring the rare artifact that gets sold for auction. For that matter I would dare say quite a few "rich" characters are rich because they make their own potions or varnishes so even that drain on income can be ignored. At higher levels that might be the ONLY thing you might need to spend gold on provided herbalism, and alcheemy arent your thing.

Also past a certain level most characters get used to grouping with certain other PCs and with that familiarity they can begin taking on more challenging dungeons, because everyone knows one another's strengths and benefits, and everyone has learned to work as part of a team. on high spawn for example Perfidus can be a totally different experience simply based on weather the people you are with are familiar to you are not even with everything else including classes and levels being equal. Most of the rich players are rich because they don't really need to buy anything anymore so each trip they make is net profit (barring things like raises and such). Really it almost starts happening on its own past level 12 or so. That's MY experience. I'm sure other players can start much sooner.

The economy is only as broken as in how much you participate in it. I know that sounds trite, but its true. The more you actively participate in it the more it will work for you.

A normal snake

• SsSSSSsssss
  • Dark Power
  • Ssss
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2015, 12:13:57 AM »

The real trick with making money and starting a business is to be active, be creative, and be personable! Forget about making forum posts about your shop and leaving it at that, set up IG and sit around and interact with people. That's how people learn your name. Levels and connections don't matter if you can accomplish those things, connections will happen once people get to know you.

That "personable" comment is not necessarily true either, if you remember, you used to work along side Gavaine. Was he personable? Hell no. Did people buy/sell to him? Always. Why? Consistancy. Having RP is huge, even if you're rp is being a jerk, you can still make it.

Hmm, perhaps personable isn't the right word, I can't think of a better word though. I remember Gavaine though, he ended up getting his hand caught in his chest of goods! He still stands out in my mind! That's the sort of thing I'm talking about, having a character that is interesting to be around in some way or another.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2015, 12:24:14 AM »
I've bought rare items I lvoed from merchants I'll never remember

I've bought average items from merchants I'll never forget

I imagine it's the quality you're looking to define that seperates the two

A merchant with character will be remembered, even if their goods are only average. And a remembered merchant is a busy merchant.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »

Hmm, perhaps personable isn't the right word, I can't think of a better word though. I remember Gavaine though, he ended up getting his hand caught in his chest of goods! He still stands out in my mind! That's the sort of thing I'm talking about, having a character that is interesting to be around in some way or another.

Yeah can't really have an ass of a merchant... think about it in rl... if you walked into a store and the cashier was a total B***h are you REALLY going to want to ever do business again with then?

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

AriaOfDissonance

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
Supply and Demand.

Example: Everyone in the DMV is a giant ass, but where else am I going to go to get my license renewed?

Likewise, if Jerkwad X is the only person selling SWORDOFOMG Y...

That aside, I'm confused as to what the necromancy of this thread is actively trying to accomplish. I think the economy is fine the way it is. The sheer amounts of gold people have are pretty insane, but honestly I just pretend they're all smaller amounts of gold in equal proportions to appease my own idea of realism.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 10:40:00 AM by Aria Of Dissonance »

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2015, 12:22:34 PM »

Yeah can't really have an ass of a merchant... think about it in rl... if you walked into a store and the cashier was a total B***h are you REALLY going to want to ever do business again with then?

And yet, I do. And he's successful. Why? Because he's got character and rp's more than just what's required. Fancy that.

Also, I agree with Aria. The thread really didn't need to be brought back, the economy is fine. It just takes interaction to make up for what gaps there are. Did I mention I am always hiring for the theatre faction? Squires? Errand runners? Buying things? I pay real gold for emotes. Come on...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:24:38 PM by Tycat »
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.