Author Topic: Extension of Examine System  (Read 2614 times)

IDreamofDaleks

Extension of Examine System
« on: December 01, 2014, 04:48:30 PM »
Consider this (I'm not sure if it's possible but I think I've seen a system in place on another server and I can try to find one here)

Instead of having an overhead name on any of the creatures we see, what about renaming them to something that pays homage to it's physical depiction only (Something like how the "Small Creatures" near the Zarcroft Asylum are). 
People that then roll a high enough check , or have encountered them before (Not sure if that's possible) , such as a Lore check, or maybe they can cast something like Identify on it, will have the name show up or can tell other party members what it is.

This may increase a feeling of dread and uncertainty throughout the server, because we won't know what anything is unless we study it!

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
Re: Extension of Examine System
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »
This is already kind of in the server as I understand it. I've been told in the past those small creature gremiska had some kind of bugged script that was supposed to rely on lore checks to identify. If that is actually true or not, I wouldn't know.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 04:53:52 PM »
I like this!

IDreamofDaleks

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
This is already kind of in the server as I understand it. I've been told in the past those small creature gremiska had some kind of bugged script that was supposed to rely on lore checks to identify. If that is actually true or not, I wouldn't know.

I was told the same thing, if it's true then it just needs to be hashed out, or maybe they didn't know that it was bugged, and it can be fixed and implemented !

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:59:37 PM »
It sounds cool and interesting though... I've played many diffrent toons and i've never taken the floating name as the fact the chatacter knows it all creatures based on the toon when they first saw it was. ( kill it, wolve, bear, goblin, kil it, kill it, Definatly kill it.... To.. tiny creature, gross goo, two legged wolves rats bears or boars, walking bones, and smelly bandages; {You get the picture} )... 'ells I know one of my toons don't even know what those are. She can't even tell you what the ring on her finger actually does...

Still. really cool Idea lol

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 07:07:23 PM »

What would the bug be?

Anyway, yeah, it's already in, more or less, just need broader implementation.

IDreamofDaleks

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Cool! Is there anything we can do to help that along at all? I can't write a script from scratch but if someone can tell me what to put where I can add pretty much do something simple but time consuming all day. :P

I think the bug may be that it doesn't matter how high your lore is or if you examine it, it doesn't say what it actually is and just remains "small creature"

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:19:33 PM »

What would the bug be?

I was told the bug was that you can never actually succeed in identifying it. Made some semblance of sense, I've never see that small creature as anything but "small creature" on anyone with any combination of skills or stats.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
Consider this (I'm not sure if it's possible but I think I've seen a system in place on another server and I can try to find one here)

Instead of having an overhead name on any of the creatures we see, what about renaming them to something that pays homage to it's physical depiction only (Something like how the "Small Creatures" near the Zarcroft Asylum are). 
People that then roll a high enough check , or have encountered them before (Not sure if that's possible) , such as a Lore check, or maybe they can cast something like Identify on it, will have the name show up or can tell other party members what it is.

This may increase a feeling of dread and uncertainty throughout the server, because we won't know what anything is unless we study it!

I have seen (but don't know how to script) NWN changes that theoretically allow a server to dynamically change player/creature names that are being sent to clients. In other words, the real names remain (for DMs and scripts), while the ones displayed in player clients may be different and are changed by scripts.  If you see someone for the first time, his/her name would be "Stranger".  When he/she tells me his/her name (it can be a false name), you could set this name to be displayed automatically next time you meet.

The script was posted on the Neverwinter Nights Extender forum, if someone proficient in scripting cares to check it out:

http://nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 07:26:26 PM »

What would the bug be?

I was told the bug was that you can never actually succeed in identifying it. Made some semblance of sense, I've never see that small creature as anything but "small creature" on anyone with any combination of skills or stats.

You have to use your special examine feat on the creatures :)

I have seen (but don't know how to script) NWN changes that theoretically allow a server to dynamically change player/creature names that are being sent to clients. In other words, the real names remain (for DMs and scripts), while the ones displayed in player clients may be different and are changed by scripts.  If you see someone for the first time, his/her name would be "Stranger".  When he/she tells me his/her name (it can be a false name), you could set this name to be displayed automatically next time you meet.

The script was posted on the Neverwinter Nights Extender forum, if someone proficient in scripting cares to check it out:

http://nwnx.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on it to, but it's a very elaborate hack, and I fear that on a large server as ours, it may be too unreliable. Principally, people should be able to roleplay hiding their identity anyway. I have considered the idea of implementing the identification system that NPCs use to recognize high OCR trying to disguise themselves for PCs to use - solely as a roleplay tool, but it's just a loose thought by now.