You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Enchanted gear nerf?  (Read 16960 times)

INSTINCT92

• Undead Master
  • Native.
Enchanted gear nerf?
« on: November 30, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
Like... from +6 or so reflex saves to +1 universal? Why? what? That's worth that xp how?

ShadyWraith

Re: Enchanted gear nerf?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »
Like... from +6 or so reflex saves to +1 universal? Why? what? That's worth that xp how?

+1

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
+1

I just don't even...

Can I get my xp back? This is a bit absurd, I'd never give that xp for these things.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

ShadyWraith

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
I agree... will xp be refunded?  When I lost 2+ levels enchanting awesome gear it was totally worth it... I would have NEVER even allowed half a level for what these items have now become.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
This nerf was frankly speaking a long time coming, if you don't think bonuses to specific saving throws upwards of +6 aren't overpowered... well, I don't really know what to tell you. Bonuses to universal saving throws are still extremely useful, as are the other bonuses on enchanted gear.

Giving up 2,000 XP in exchange for +6 fort saves is a no-brainer and everyone with good sense would make that "sacrifice" if they were given the chance. It made most people's saving throws extremely high, so high that DMs couldn't balance encounters correctly. You either make it too easy or you steamroll the party.

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 04:48:00 PM »
My boots went from Reflex save to Cold save... that is a completely different thing.

The Enchanted Thick Chitin Full Plate reports

+1 AC Blunt
+1 AC Slash
+4 AC Piercing
+3 AC vs All.

The first two are redundant.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 05:00:16 PM by Arael »

ShadyWraith

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 04:49:08 PM »
So this response is suppose to smooth everything out for those of us who've been effected by these "nerfs"?  Because the enchanting system just basically became useless.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
I think it's too far the other way, sadly. Why not a +3? That's half the six but still has some worth. This threatens to negate people's desire to buy player crafted items, something that is not easy to learn and requires an investment of time, money and resources. It's just not worth the investment at all. Sweeten it a little more and it might become a viable choice.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
This nerf was frankly speaking a long time coming, if you don't think bonuses to specific saving throws upwards of +6 aren't overpowered... well, I don't really know what to tell you.
I shall miss my might reflex boots, but I'm gonna have to agree with Venge on this. Certain items gave GIANT save boosts to an almost insane level for such a low exp cost.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

ShadyWraith

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 04:54:15 PM »
And this may be true, but everyone who has paid gold/xp just did so for nothing, because I can nearly guarantee that those of us who did would definitely not have if we'd have known that the current items would be the end product.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2014, 04:54:50 PM »
The enchanting system hasn't really become useless. Some folks used it to up the save they really wanted... for those rogue fighter tanks 9/10 it was reflex for the evasion... I know for my rogue who had a crummy con I got the gargoyle... and had a 13 fortitude... Not really insanely high.. but for those with a natural high fort + I can see it getting very high.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2014, 04:55:34 PM »
But it isn't what I chose to pay for, so I think you can at least understand the frustration no? Even if you still find what they've been turned in to to be worth it. I'm left with some things that cost me a great deal that are essentially worthless to me at this point. As has been pointed out, throws could have been halved, instead they're completely taken out or replaced with something like throws v acid +4 in place of fortitude throws-which doesn't even make sense because a save v acid is reflex not fortitude.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Mephisto

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 04:55:52 PM »
The developers can tell you more, but from what I understand the changes were made because the high saves on certain items were due to a bug with the system that was never intended.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but having the ability to face it.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 04:57:21 PM »
I would like to point out, no one forced you all to enchant gear. The high saves were always clearly an oversight giving how broken they can be, but personally? I feel like this is in response to the "roll 1, auto fail' thread as the saves have been brought up in that.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:34 PM »
I would like to point out, no one forced you all to enchant gear. The high saves were always clearly an oversight giving how broken they can be, but personally? I feel like this is in response to the "roll 1, auto fail' thread as the saves have been brought up in that.

I am lucky in that I only have one piece of enchanted gear, so I am not affected so badly. As for no one forcing, I am pretty sure that the difficulty in many areas of the server certainly swayed many people. It's just another place I am seeing people who are being well-prepared being kicked in the face. Yes, the +6 was OP, but the +1 isn't worth the cost. I am asking that we meet a compromise, or it might take the crafting systems out too.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:45 PM »
Oh no Mcnastea I understand the frustration... But let me put it this way.. My fighter Sylvonas had the reflex boots.... with them on I had a 23 reflex....that's rather absurd. Am I botherd that I may have to find some new boots... meh maybe... but for now I can't complain since they still gives the 6 disc. For those who only payed for the gear to up the saves to some ungodly number... we paid the price... And if the insane saves were due to a bug. Then who knows. the items might be fix and instead of a +9 reflex... you will get like a +4 reflex.... grant it the winterwolf boots cost 9k if I remember.. most expencive set out there.

gargoyle... for 2k and +6 fort.... yeah... a bit much.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

ShadyWraith

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »

Of course nobody was forced, however the point is that the items we initially paid for with gold and xp are not what we now have.  That is where the frustration is coming from.  There could've been some sort of happy medium to be made where the power level of the items was decreased, but not to the point of making them utterly useless.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
This....frankly sucks. I really don't even know what to do now. This also doesn't address the real problems with the server, and now you have an angry player base. Why? Because a few people with op characters said they have insanely high buffs. Where as my awesome character still struggles even at his level and with enchanted gear. So idk... I feel like i've wasted time, rp, and the fun has been sucked out.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 05:11:49 PM »
I can certainly empathize with the bait-and-switch feeling for those who paid full price for something that turned out to be half the value.  Perhaps it would have been nice to have a "trade in" event where players could exchange their old gear for some xp refund.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure if this warrants much rending of hair, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, just because the server perpetually generates an infinite amount of replacement xp and gold, so everything that is spent can be recouped -- it really is all about the investment of time, rather than resources.

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 05:14:28 PM »
+6?  Yes, too much.
+1?  No, that's not a fair compromise for gold/xp paid, especially when you account the fact that nobody really seemed to know this +6 was a bug.  

Guess I'll be extending my break a while longer.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 05:15:23 PM »
I can certainly empathize with the bait-and-switch feeling for those who paid full price for something that turned out to be half the value.  Perhaps it would have been nice to have a "trade in" event where players could exchange their old gear for some xp refund.

Nevertheless, I'm not sure if this warrants much rending of hair, wailing, and gnashing of teeth, just because the server perpetually generates an infinite amount of replacement xp and gold, so everything that is spent can be recouped -- it really is all about the investment of time, rather than resources.

It happens automatically on log in. I am very, very bitter. I feel like just a couple of well built people with loud mouths proclaiming things are overpowered just killed it for the rest of us averagely built characters who struggle. And it still doesn't address the fact that the SPAWNS ARE THE PROBLEM
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
Really, everyone should be happy they haven't touched the weapons.  The enchanted gear is a bummer because, well, loot drops can out do them at times yet that's not a problem. Majority of the crafts can be out done by dungeon loot, making those crafts useless.

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 05:17:41 PM »
I don't think it was a bug. It been a choice, they probably realized it was a mistake.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
I don't think it was a bug. It been a choice, they probably realized it was a mistake.
Giving the tailoring bug when it was first introduced, yeah. I feel the same way.

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
The comment about it being a bug is in regards to Mephisto's post on the first page.