Author Topic: Days & Months in Ravenloft & Server related inquiry  (Read 2971 times)

Xanatos Gambit

Days & Months in Ravenloft & Server related inquiry
« on: November 30, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
Firstly, If this is covered somewhere else, I apologize. However, I was inquiring as to any documentation regarding the names of the Months of the year/Days of the week as they are recorded in Ravenloft. I know Ravenloft setting uses the "Barovian Calendar" and that we are in year 769, but I am unsure of where to find the information I am looking for and did not want to merely use real life references or another setting's.

While I am on that subject, I have another inquiry. I have been told that the server works largely on a 'what you see is what you get' mentality, but I have also been told that one day is one day and one year is one year; a 1:1 ratio from "Real life" to game. With that said, and with hours lasting 6 minutes, am I to assume that day cycles (night and day) happen many times through a "day" in Ravenloft, and that there are many cycles of seasons per one 'year ' or is that something we all politely and simultaneously acknowledge and ignore?

Thank you,
XG

Dread

• Dark Power
Re: Days & Months in Ravenloft & Server related inquiry
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:27:07 PM »
The Core actually uses the Gregorian calendar. March is March, April is April, October is October, and so on and so forth.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 12:54:09 PM »
While I am on that subject, I have another inquiry. I have been told that the server works largely on a 'what you see is what you get' mentality, but I have also been told that one day is one day and one year is one year; a 1:1 ratio from "Real life" to game. With that said, and with hours lasting 6 minutes, am I to assume that day cycles (night and day) happen many times through a "day" in Ravenloft, and that there are many cycles of seasons per one 'year ' or is that something we all politely and simultaneously acknowledge and ignore?
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=22855.0

It's been brought to my attention that there has been some confusion over this rule.

The WYSIWYG rule (short for "What You See Is What You Get") was mainly intended for magic spells and spell-like abilities. It was never intended for anything else such as hoods covering faces or pretending you're not carrying your inventory around.

Hopefully this will clear up any of the misconceptions floating around out there.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Xanatos Gambit

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
The Core actually uses the Gregorian calendar. March is March, April is April, October is October, and so on and so forth.

Thank you.

It's been brought to my attention that there has been some confusion over this rule.

The WYSIWYG rule (short for "What You See Is What You Get") was mainly intended for magic spells and spell-like abilities. It was never intended for anything else such as hoods covering faces or pretending you're not carrying your inventory around.

Hopefully this will clear up any of the misconceptions floating around out there.

Thank you, I'll admit to only seeing references to the ruling and not the ruling itself,  but the intent of my query remains: Are we assuming that there are several seasonal cycles in a year, and lunar/solar cycles in a day, or are we ignoring that fact whilst simultaneously RPing the effects of the seasons/night/day? It may become strange to refer to something as "last night" or last winter, as opposed to "Actual last Night" and "Actually 4 months ago". Is there a 'correct' method to refer to this? I see people refer to "last nightfall" when they mean the last time the game depicted nighttime, and "yesterday" to mean actually yesterday, but never for the seasons.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:19:26 PM by Xanatos Gambit »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 01:42:56 PM »

Thank you, I'll admit to only seeing references to the ruling and not the ruling itself,  but the intent of my query remains: Are we assuming that there are several seasonal cycles in a year, and lunar/solar cycles in a day, or are we ignoring that fact whilst simultaneously RPing the effects of the seasons/night/day? It may become strange to refer to something as "last night" or last winter, as opposed to "Actual last Night" and "Actually 4 months ago". Is there a 'correct' method to refer to this? I see people refer to "last nightfall" when they mean the last time the game depicted nighttime, and "yesterday" to mean actually yesterday, but never for the seasons.

You're overthinking it. Call winter "winter" and last night "last night".

If it helps, pretend that a Ravenloft year has multiple seasonal cycles.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Xanatos Gambit

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
Thank you.