Author Topic: Perfidus - Minor details  (Read 2957 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Perfidus - Minor details
« on: November 24, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
I have noticed a few things that Perfidus seems to have that could be unintentional, and effect the aesthetics.

I'll gather screen shots of them. here's a list.

1. doorways on the stair wells seem to put you inside the door instead of outside it, and facing the wrong direction.
    See image below. I didn't get the shot of Donnie facing the wrong direction, as I had to fight, however, I did mark on the mini map the two locations that plop you down behind the area transition door (inside the doorway) and facing backwards.
Spoiler: show

2. Epic, massive, demon and devil slaughter at the entry way to the temple:
    Is this intentional? When arriving to the temple, there is always a spawn attacking itself in a huddle. Pit fiends, Balors, those snake women things, aberrations - you name it, and they are engaged in all out war. I find this disconnecting to the situation at hand. It would be nicer if they didn't focus on each other, and were instead of being in a tightly knit group huddled in the hallway, roaming about, spread out, inciting real fear in the hapless adventurers that wonder in.

3. There's some floating molds someplace, meant for the ground but instead they hoover about eye level. I am sure this is a mistake with the Z axis. I'll get some screen shots of those next time I run through.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

de_reguer

• Undead Slayer
Re: Perfidus - Minor details
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
I have noticed a few things that Perfidus seems to have that could be unintentional, and effect the aesthetics.

1. doorways on the stair wells seem to put you inside the door instead of outside it, and facing the wrong direction.
    See image below. I didn't get the shot of Donnie facing the wrong direction, as I had to fight, however, I did mark on the mini map the two locations that plop you down behind the area transition door (inside the doorway) and facing backwards.

Is this intentional? When arriving to the temple, there is always a spawn attacking itself in a huddle. Pit fiends, Balors, those snake women things, aberrations - you name it, and they are engaged in all out war. I find this disconnecting to the situation at hand. It would be nicer if they didn't focus on each other, and were instead of being in a tightly knit group huddled in the hallway, roaming about, spread out, inciting real fear in the hapless adventurers that wonder in.

3. There's some floating molds someplace, meant for the ground but instead they hoover about eye level. I am sure this is a mistake with the Z axis. I'll get some screen shots of those next time I run through.

The devils and demons fighting one another in Perfidus is likely cannon and intentional. Its a byproduct of the Endless War from the Planescape mythos I think.  Its a never ending war waged between two flavors of evil: the chaotic Tanar'ri (demons) versus the lawful Baatazu (devils). Those of you who have interacted with Europa likely know her backstory is heavily influenced by a skirmish from this war, but basically in ANY of the more common DnD settings if you take demons and devils and put them in the same area together they are going to begin fighting one another. Myth wise I think it was created to explain how two such otherwise powerful groups haven't completely conquered everything across the multiverse.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

The devils and demons fighting one another in Perfidus is likely cannon and intentional. Its a byproduct of the Endless War from the Planescape mythos I think.  Its a never ending war waged between two flavors of evil: the chaotic Tanar'ri (demons) versus the lawful Baatazu (devils). Those of you who have interacted with Europa likely know her backstory is heavily influenced by a skirmish from this war, but basically in ANY of the more common DnD settings if you take demons and devils and put them in the same area together they are going to begin fighting one another. Myth wise I think it was created to explain how two such otherwise powerful groups haven't completely conquered everything across the multiverse.

And yet, the entry way is the only place their war is evident, and I find it jarring to the feeling we're supposed to get. Perhaps we could have more evidence of this throughout the area, with smaller battles, balors coming out of no where. Places where they aren't also working together a few places away.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

de_reguer

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »

The devils and demons fighting one another in Perfidus is likely cannon and intentional. Its a byproduct of the Endless War from the Planescape mythos I think.  Its a never ending war waged between two flavors of evil: the chaotic Tanar'ri (demons) versus the lawful Baatazu (devils). Those of you who have interacted with Europa likely know her backstory is heavily influenced by a skirmish from this war, but basically in ANY of the more common DnD settings if you take demons and devils and put them in the same area together they are going to begin fighting one another. Myth wise I think it was created to explain how two such otherwise powerful groups haven't completely conquered everything across the multiverse.

And yet, the entry way is the only place their war is evident, and I find it jarring to the feeling we're supposed to get. Perhaps we could have more evidence of this throughout the area, with smaller battles, balors coming out of no where. Places where they aren't also working together a few places away.

Expand it a few additional areas maybe? Add a transition to the back side of the valley with a center section where the two sides fight 24/7 (lots of opportunities for incidental party damage wink, wink, hint, hint,) and then two more transitions off this center area, one left and one right with an area specific to devils and demons accordingly. I love that place. Id like to have more to do there and more foes to fight. Just hearing the words "Trip to Perfidus" makes me giddy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:25:15 AM by de_reguer »

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »

1) I'll look into those when I have time to develop. Do you know in which areas this happens?
2) As mentioned by de_regueur, this is intentional. Outside the temple are Devils and inside are Demons. They devils try to break into the temple, hence the endless battle at the doors.
3) Can you try to get the area names and more or less where they are located?

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »

1) I'll look into those when I have time to develop. Do you know in which areas this happens?
2) As mentioned by de_regueur, this is intentional. Outside the temple are Devils and inside are Demons. They devils try to break into the temple, hence the endless battle at the doors.
3) Can you try to get the area names and more or less where they are located?

1. The screen shot i posted has some of the area's circled in red. But if it helps, I will get some more precise screenies later.
2. Ok - it just doesn't' come off clear, and idk, I see a lot of levity in the situation that I don't think is entirely appropriate. So maybe if it was ramped up a bit?
3. I will get some screen shots later today if able. I am pretty sure i have the locations memorized.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 01:15:35 PM »
Area names are better for me than screenshots; it's easier to locate the issues by area names than screenshots.

I'll see if I can come up with something for the initial battle; I could probably have them say things in battle or something to that effect to better convey what is happening.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
Area names are better for me than screenshots; it's easier to locate the issues by area names than screenshots.

Perfidus - Temple - The Chasm

The stairway that you enter on.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

EO

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 10:27:31 AM »
Those should be fixed whenever I get time to send in my next update.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 10:38:35 AM »
Those should be fixed whenever I get time to send in my next update.

So.. No more spawning behind the door and backwards?! WOOOOOO!!!!

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero