Author Topic: Custom rule on instant death spells  (Read 9030 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Custom rule on instant death spells
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
A related topic: automatic save failure on rolling a 1. I've missed that from past servers.

Probably better to start a separate topic for that rather than further derail this thread.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Telkar

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
Personally, regarding instant death spells, I've never really felt they enhanced the experience, especially in PvE when it tends to come out of the blue and just frustrate more than generate fear. These death spells are frightening in their nature, but computer games are more fast paced and so you don't get any time to actually roleplay the build-up, the opponent casting the spell etc. before it's all over.

This is largely how I view the situation as well. There are a number of elements present in p&p that act as a balance to the instant death spells. It might be more feasible in a turn-based engine, but this is effectively an action game, where there is no warning and little time to react to the onset of a save or die.

Apsalar

• Undead Master
  • :)
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2014, 02:14:19 PM »
To me it isn't a case of whether or not the spell generates fear. A death spell simply isn't a death spell if it doesn't cause death. It's already easy enough to pass saving throws in the current climate of enchanted gear, but when all it takes to negate the effects of an alleged "death" spell is a cure minor wounds you may as well just give up on pretending death spells exist in the game. Why should my character react appropriately to another character using a death spell when it is more aptly described as an unconsciousness spell?

Additionally, at current death spells don't reduce people to a bleeding state. They reduce the target to zero hit points, and being at zero hit points means you stabilise. To work as intended they'd need to reduce the target to at least -1 hit points.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:18:10 PM by Apsalar »

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2014, 02:21:24 PM »
To me it isn't a case of whether or not the spell generates fear. A death spell simply isn't a death spell if it doesn't cause death. It's already easy enough to pass saving throws in the current climate of enchanted gear, but when all it takes to negate the effects of an alleged "death" spell is a cure minor wounds you may as well just give up on pretending death spells exist in the game. Why should my character react appropriately to another character using a death spell when it is more aptly described as an unconsciousness spell?

Additionally, at current death spells don't reduce people to a bleeding state. They reduce the target to zero hit points, and being at zero hit points means you stabilise. To work as intended they'd need to reduce the target to at least -1 hit points.

I agree with this last part instead of making death spells insta kill, but why not extend it a bit further that one is immune to any sort of healing for X amount of time? Seems like a good compromise

Dhark

• Dark Power
  • Ladul !
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2014, 03:13:36 PM »
The problem with comparing a rule set in PnP to a PC game is that with a table of gamers the DM can guage the reactions of the players, pull punches or just add a little more dammage to that fire ball depending on who is targeted.

I've found simply relying on dice rolls to portray combat and letting whatever happens stick has never added to the experience ( and ussualy caused me problems with plots ect ).

To the folks who scream for more "hardcore" from thier game I would say your focus for more authenticity is possibly in the wrong area of the game.

I would vote no, but the suggestion of having death spells place you at negative hit points is a sterling suggestion and would facilitate capture/hostage senarios, where as being dead completely with the villan or heros being unable to alter the outcome is not adding to the game in my opinion.

:twocents:

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2014, 05:44:26 PM »

This sums it up rather well, I think. I also believe the suggestion of placing the victim at negative hit points won't really do anything outside of perhaps forcing someone to use two Cure Light Wounds potions instead of one. Look, if you're a necromancer and you're using a spell like FoD, you are looking to KILL your opponent. Not main or incapacitate, but kill. That's what makes you one of the baddies, and it's why necromancers are still reviled in places like Dementlieu.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:46:00 PM by DM Vengeance »