Author Topic: Ω Najwa: Devil's Blood Ω [Complete]  (Read 4936 times)

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
Ω Najwa: Devil's Blood Ω [Complete]
« on: November 22, 2014, 07:18:15 AM »

((Click image for portrait link.))

Name: Najwa
Meaning: Secret, Hidden
Race: Tiefling
Treasure Hunter
Origin: Thay (Forgotten Realms)

“Beware, so long as you live, of judging men by their outward appearance."
~ Jean de La Fontaine

Army of Me [Sucker Punch Remix] - Björk (feat. Skunk Anansie) ~ (Najwa's Theme)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 05:08:00 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Re: Najwa: Devil's Blood
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 07:46:10 AM »
[The journal is written in Infernal.]

And so again, I am must adapt. For me, life is not a straight road, but a wheel, and with each turn my location changes, my role changes, my circumstances utterly different. And once I am settled in my path, that is when the change comes. I am wary now of being comfortable, for it is bound to herald some discord.

I had grown accustomed to those walls, smuggled riches stacked high and glittering in the low light. It was much simpler then. Meet with the client. Set a rendezvous point. Collect their cargo, and send it on to those the cilent specified. Grease a few palms. Get a cut. At least, that is what I was told. I was too young to be among them when this was their way.

I was lucky, to know my parents, for they were among the smugglers. But our motley crew was dragged into political scheming when one of the Red Wizards, Sask, took the wheel. Spy on those he distrusted, learn their motives and merits. I was older then, the touches of devil blood visible, and in one case, not visible... that made me useful. There is no shadow to betray me, and I watched without fear of my dark reflection making my position clear. But it was not the same. We were paid to be sure, but we were owned, not utilised, for there is a distinction. And then, by his stumbling, the weight of his bigheadedness clouding his judgement, my parents were lost. Enough was enough. So I strangled him in his sleep, that we might choose our own destiny, again find clients of our choosing. Blood for blood.  But I was met with scorn, and forced to flee, found nature to be accommodating at this wheel's turn. I learnt which of her offerings would feed me, and which would kill me. I learnt which creature to track and which to avoid. But then the others found me, and phantasmal hands took me in as I fled, a bank of fog to conceal me. It did more than conceal... it bore me away entirely.

--

My mother told me the account of my birth many times. Told me how her own mother spoke little of hers. It had all fallen into place at my coming, she said. The smugglers knew of the existence of such creatures, had even met a handful in their work, but their ignorance named me. They believed me to be of demon stock, and decided that I must be kept a secret while I grew. And so my name, Najwa, meaning 'secret' in the Abyssal tongue. It was not until some time later, once some of my features had become more pronounced, that my heritage was known to be from devilkind. But the name had already stuck.

Najwa. Secret. It is an ironic name. Nothing can conceal these horns.

This turn of the wheel has left me beyond Thay, beyond Toril, that much I can tell. I do not claim to understand how, or why. Several have already cast their judgement, and some have brandished steel. There are disgusted stares, mystified watchers, and their eyes feel different for their intentions. But most receive the same kind of look from me, both natural and trained, for it is what my life has taught me.

Distrust.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 07:57:20 AM »

There are many strange words that others use. Home. Friend. They mean more than places, or people, duplicitous, perhaps more, implications rife in their pronouncement. Implications from which I wish to keep a distance.

Still, if there is one I am less distrustful of, it is Zsadist. He is like me, and not like me. He is touched of demon-blood, and we both speak the Thayvian tongue. He is lucky. His eyes are the same burnt amber as mine, his tongue is forked, and he is without shadow. But these are things that are easily hid. He stands among the humans, elves, dwarfs without judgement, save perhaps for his open attire. No one draws steel on him.

But there is limited kinship, as we have decided to call it. Some mutual understanding of what it is to be like us. He has offered help when he could have easily ignored, painted me with the same brush as others do. One I was quick to paint him as. When one hears often of the untrustworthiness of one's kind, one is driven to treat them with the same distrust. And while it has not vanished utterly, it has been lessened. I had forgotten the feeling of being more comfortable with another. Perhaps there will be others?

This beam of optimism makes me idealistic. No, better to expect no more. Expect nothing at all. Better yet, expect violence and hostility, anticipate it, for then you shall be ready to fight or fly.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 06:11:59 AM »
[The next few pages are taken up with sketches and lists of inventory, with some annotations. A note in the margin reads; 'Learn of the ruin.']

Luck and effort have conspired - I continue to move forward, better equipped, with greater knowledge. My pursuits of the study of alchemy continue to be effective. But it has not all come easily.

They do as all not like us do, in lumping the freaks together. They want to keep us close, keep an eye on us, but at the same time, wish to be rid of us, for we taint their reputations. I see that some at least try to cloak their disgust, but others are open. I prefer it that way -  preferential to know more clearly who might strike when your back is turned.

Still, I suppose I should show gratitude to those who have granted me kindnesses, even if I do not trust them. I must, at all times, be ready to defend my life. Zsadist continues to assist, and with his words of assurance, many are calmed. I envy him that ease with people. But I know why they like him. I see it in the scars, in his eyes when another mentions the whip. He is used to obedience. To servitude.

I broke my own bonds. He must break his. Though in body he can shift, run freely in the skin of the wolf, his mind is yet chained. I shall have to pry the lock.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »

The debt has been repaid in full. I hope to use this to my advantage. Better to keep options open, different paths available.

Red was of great help, it could not have been done without her strength, but unlike many who rely on their arms, her mind is also sharp. She spoke regarding Zsadist's views of me. He trusts me, sees me as a friend. A great step, to be sure. I will watch him a little more, be certain that I know him in his fulness before I make any promise of like feeling. Kinship does not necessitate friendship.

[A few notes are added beneath.]

Vallaki: Yields more gold, jewellery, fetches good price. Sewers are not bountiful, areas with some treasure are dangerous.
Port-a-Lucine: Less gold, gems, sell for less, but greater number of targets. Sewers are bountiful, danger easier to avoid.

- Continue alchemical studies.
- Forge alliances.
- Be careful!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 10:13:35 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:13:09 AM »

I should have told Zsadist sooner, before Guido forced it on me. About my ties to the Drain. I must remember that our kinship is indeed limited. To be sure, he has come far, but he does not know what it is to be hounded for your features. Those who are normal (I use the word loosely) accept him without question. But I cannot rely upon their vain promises. I cannot trust them. They are likely to turn on me at a moment's notice. As such, I must make other connections, for my self-preservation and survival.

And they need my skills. I have been trained to spy, to step with soft feet and remain unseen. Few 'heroic' types rely on such skills, except when they wish to make money. He said he shall accept me, even if he advises against such action. He continues to trust me. And it is a trust I believe I return. I am grateful to him for all he has done, but I cannot rely solely upon his kindness. But with him, I do not need to be so tightly wound, so alert. Perhaps such moments where I can allow myself to relax will do me good. There is a fine line between being on edge and tumbling from it, one which can be the difference between life and death.

And then there is the matter of Guido himself, with his own goals, lucre chief among them. I wonder if he shall heed those spreading whispers. I wonder how I might help.

Time shall tell.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:58:15 PM »

What a busy few days it's been. Approached by those seeking aid. Shown hospitality by a woman who worships 'Hala'. My time in Dementlieu stands out most clearly. To think, that when I was first brought to these lands, it was sold to me as a place where 'freaks' like myself can walk more freely, provided we are in keeping with their social mores. This is not the case. I saw another, a woman like myself, selling tickets at this strange waxwork museum in the city of Port-a-Lucine. Her words seemed to me to not be her own, as though she was performing in a play, a spectacle for the amusement of the locals.

The auction following this was also eventful. It is astonishing how much money many of these people have. I have worked hard for mine, and doubtless many others have, but one in particular was obnoxious with his wealth. A drow sat next to me during the proceedings, and we both shared our discontent. He left before the madness started, and I don't blame him. Three men came in wearing red sashes, and the auction was stopped. We heard that a murder had taken place, and were made to leave.

The men announced to us at our departure that we might not want to use the bank, giving away their desires completely, and though they were followed quickly, they caused a great deal of damage to the bank. We caused a great deal of damage in return. Their leader, however... there was a change in him as he spoke to us, moving to attack with a strange glazing over his eyes, as though he did so in sleep. I got the door to the vault open again for those who had given chase, and left soon afterwards.

It is not my fight, and not my place to take sides. There are always rich, always poor, always some chain of command and respect. The sooner these upstarts accept that, the better. If I sought to be on equal footing with those around me, I'd be dead before the day was out. No, they should instead accept the truth, work hard, adapt. Complaining and violence will get them nowhere.

I am glad to see the back of Dementlieu. Besides, I've work to do.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:00:41 PM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:01:57 AM »

Typical, that those gates were locked when I wished to return, beyond my skill to pick. I was stuck in that camp for weeks, watching, and saw nothing of note. It's good to be back within these low, dark walls.

I need to take more risks, keep to the shadows, learn what I can. But before this, I need to get hold of that bloody Pinkskin. I've a debt to repay, and a favour to ask. Let's hope he's in a generous mood. If not, I have my methods.

Still no sign of that girl. I imagine he will be growing impatient. I'd better have results for him soon. Stupid girl, accepting such a task without checking your client's history. I hope this doesn't come back to bite me later.

Maybe they'll have more work for me. I should keep my eyes open and my ears pricked. Not that I need reminding. My body is constantly tuned for such. It's what I was trained to do.

Still, I'd like to see Zsadist again. More of his tonics would be a help. I just have to be sure to say nothing to worry him. He's too caught up in 'doing the right thing'.

I'm growing impatient. Some of this had better be resolved quickly.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 09:17:47 AM »

Manager of the Undermarket. Rolls nicely off the tongue, I think.

Robbery is not such a pleasant word. But, we can't let his phase us. That's exactly what they intended to bring about, in cutting us off.

Still, at least the Pinkskin was able to acquire what I needed before we came to blows. I wonder where he is.

Not had much time to write, I've been so busy. Guido's been made Underboss. Others have come back. There's Bors, for one.

I like him, he makes his points quickly. There are many others also. Together, a family of sorts.

Let's hope this family can weather change better than my previous.

Guido's no mage. That's a bonus.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 11:48:04 AM »

Crewboss of the Fangs. My, how things progress. Business is going well, all things considered.

Pinky has drive and ambition, I'll give him that. I do need to on to that favour he asked of me...

It's good to be busy! They say that idle hands do the devil's work.

I wonder how that works if you've devil's blood?

[Added later.]

No sign of Zsadist for a long while. I fear the worst.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 05:58:59 AM »

What a horrible, bloody mess. It seems the pieces are being picked up, at last.

I don't want to be alone in that office anymore - almost convinced I'll walk into him as he hangs from the pipes. I understand why he did it, killed himself, but now I'm down a Taskmaster. I've not forgiven them, not yet. Didn't have a very good idea of proportion, from where I stood. Still, I suppose it's water, somewhat bloodied, under the bridge now.

Guido's back where he should be, at last.

The Undermarket's being held tonight. Let's hope it goes well - Hells, more business would be something to smile about. Then again, Zsadist is fine. That's something.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 08:23:31 AM »

The Undermarket was a success - I've not seen the tunnels so busy. It's encouraged something of a boom below, I must say. More business opportunities.

It's not all been good, unsurprisingly. One of the Vardo came and told me about a deal they'd made with Guido. This being confirmed, I had to send one of our best away to repay a debt. I hope he holds us no ill-will, but I am a realist.

Even the Undermarket itself didn't run completely smoothly. Some idiot made mincemeat of the auction, and Reds got bloody angry as a result. I am not surprised, I was fuming myself. Still, if he comes back next time, I'll be watching him. Perhaps I'll make him wear a cloth gag to keep him hushed. Not that this would be a pleasant sight for other buyers. Hm.

Business, business. That reminds me. Some of the Vardo prices are beyond ridiculous. But rules are rules, and contracts are contracts. Will need to have a word with them, on Guido's behalf. I hope he recovers from his ordeal soon enough. I'm not one for leadership. Right now, though, the Drain needs business. So if this makes me a leader of sorts for the time being, that comes with the territory.

And of course, the Boss will get his cut.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 05:03:38 PM »

It's strange, how when so much has changed, so much seems to remain the same.

Guido's gone, and with that, protection. Every man, twist and 'ban for themselves, nowadays. Though it seems those I considered worthy of trust before, have remained so.

We're optimistic that we'll be able to hold another Undermarket soon, despite all this. I need to speak to Kolos, Craven too...

Oh, and meet with that woman and her companion again. I've not forgotten our discussion.

I'm grateful to be alive, but I burn with the need to thrive.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 09:33:05 AM »

Another Undermarket has come and gone, another success sits under my belt. It almost feels as it did before this mess with the Vardo and the Boss. I have been too busy to consider the loss of our protections too deeply. Much of my time these days is spent skulking in dangerous places, leaving monsters and men of all stripes a little less richer.

I ought to plan for the next market, I feel now is a good time for another. Keep them regular, but keep others interested. Yes, simple enough.

I should head back to the Drains soon. Let's hope it's not gone to the dogs in my absence.

Then there will be trouble.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 06:39:52 AM »

It's been far too long since I last wrote here. Much has transpired.

I turned away from the troubled tunnels of the Drain, and have begun to carve my own path through these unforgiving lands. I have sold my services to several, in exchange for goods I can sell. I have made associates, even friends. I have not lacked for pleasure, nor for funds, for a long time, and my reputation is solid.

At least, it was.

It was a moment of greed, nothing more -- my greed and pride condemned me. There are those who will seek to kill me when I am alone. They have already tried.

Blood is not my currency, but gold. I hope it has been enough to secure my safety.

The treasure hunter will return.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 11:34:55 AM by emptyanima »

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »

Easier than I expected, though it wasn't without its risks.
Still, I am tired.
I think a short break from all this work would do me a lot of good.

I do not like feeling guilty.

emptyanima

• Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
Re: Ω Najwa: Devil's Blood Ω
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2015, 02:26:48 PM »

emptyanima