Author Topic: Gautier Duplat : A Treasure Hunter's Journal  (Read 745 times)

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
Gautier Duplat : A Treasure Hunter's Journal
« on: October 29, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
Gautier Duplat : A Treasure Hunter’s Tale

The book store in Vallaki has no premade maps to sell, but there are encyclopedias with some maps, and so I have taken to picking up coffee at Mariska’s bakery and then spending a night pouring over Barovian maps and anything related to its ancient history. Between the Terg and the Neurini, there are artifacts and treasures out there just waiting for someone with the knowledge and skills required to unearth them and liberate them from their dark tomb.

As for income, to supply this endeavor, I have multiple streams of it; work is easy to get. The work at the docks does not pay well, but it is an opportunity to familiarize myself with the local economy and work-life of Vallaki’s villagers. People are resources, as well, and so I am connecting with as many villagers as I can, including a young private within the village’s garda. Delivering cargo between Vallaki and the prospector’s village of Krofburg is lucrative, and as a result, I have opened up an account at the local bank.

Equipping myself is a priority, and I have contributed to the equipment of newfound associates, as our fortunes may be entwined. In addition to saving money, studying Barovian history, lore, and geography, I have been learning my way around and gradually establishing contacts, ranging from the nefarious den, the Drain, beneath the Grey City, to a tradesman with discretion at Tigan’s Rest, to various establishments and opportunists in Krofburg.

Progress is being made, though throughout my efforts here, my life is in constant danger of being taken from me.

There are as many, if not more, undead in Barovia, than the living. However, it is what the Barovians call Neuri, a were-creature, that troubles me most of all: wererats. I have grown to respect their malevolent intelligence and cunning. I was leading a small expedition to explore a cave in the southern forest.  Upon scouting the cave, I discovered a strange, caliban-like creature, armored to the teeth, occupying the cave. As we were preparing to enter the cave, one of my companions spotted two wererats behind us. The warriors among us, of which I am -not- included, attacked, and while they did so, I kept a close watch on our surroundings, not to mention the cave’s mouth, just in case the enemies within overheard the commotion and decided to come out to play.

That was when I noticed a larger wererat sneaking alongside the cliff, in the shadows, and enter the cave. I believe that this wererat ordered two of his henchmen to attack our group from the rear in order to distract us.  Believing that the wererat was within the cave, preparing a trap, I quickly and quietly led my companions in the other direction.

While our party evaded their cunning traps and designs that day, the same cannot be said for a much larger party that I accompanied on the following day, once again deep into the southern forests. I fled into the darkness of night near death, and miraculously made my way back to the Western Outskirts, but others were not so fortunate.

I’ve no desire to make a living from hunting down such monsters, but as these monsters are threatening both life and ambitions, I am learning what I can. I would surely lend my growing knowledge and services to others who do have the ability and determination to exterminate these vermin, especially as some of the treasures I seek to unearth, may have such monsters in my way.

G.D.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:59:31 PM by Iconoclast »