Author Topic: Server Data Usage  (Read 1522 times)

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
Server Data Usage
« on: November 16, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
So, I got a friend who has a limited amount of data per month to use for interwebs. This means, they have to be very frugal about what they load, pictures, videos, files, etc.

I was wondering how much data does the Ravenloft server use per minute? And how much would that be per hour?

-=Rilan Indoran=- -=Enzo=-

dazza555

• Undead Master
  • Calibardbarian
    • http://morningstarani.deviantart.com
Re: Server Data Usage
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »
I don't know specifics. But when i used my mobile Internet to play for an entire night that was about 600 meg for ababout 9 hours of game time

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 10:33:16 PM »
That depends largely on what you're doing, what areas you load and how many people are in them. He'd need to measure usage on his end.

If you want to figure out a rough number for him, hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go to Task Manager. Under the Performance tab (in Windows 8), you can open the Performance Monitor, which has a little RPM gauge icon. This will tell you what your bytes per minute for a particular program is. You may have to play in windowed mode to see an accurate number while you play.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 11:00:09 PM »
Sometime ago I checked this and PotM/NWN was using something like 1KB/s of my bandwidth. That is very low. 60KB per minute, 3,6MB per hour. A typical game section, player side, shouldn't eat more than 10-20MB. This was measure by my firewall 2-3 years ago. This is true because when I started playing NWN I did it with dial-up, and dial up in my city had the total bandwidth of 3,6KB/s.

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:22:32 AM »
NWN has been made when the modem users where still the majority of the players and they had to play with a 56k modem.

The bandwidth used is almost insignificant. I don't think it reach 10 Mb/hour.

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 01:57:44 AM »
My bandwidth monitor shows me around 800-900 KB UL, 2-3 MB DL, for an hour of consistent play, with me browsing the internet off and on in the background as well.