You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Paladin + Divine Champion  (Read 1580 times)

Super Sugar

• Undead Master
Paladin + Divine Champion
« on: November 14, 2014, 07:26:37 PM »
Greetings,

I just built a Paladin + CoT in a single player instance and was surprised to see how CoT and Pally Lay on Hands usage per day did not stack.  That is, a Paladin (2) has LOH and then take CoT (DC) down the road, even though the script says (adds) x1 LOH for first level CoT, my character still only had one use of LOH.

Is this how Divine Champion functions in Ravenloft?  If I had a Paladin (6) and a Divine Champion (1), shouldn't I have x2 LOH?

SS

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
Re: Paladin + Divine Champion
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 07:31:40 PM »
No, Lay on Hands only functions from one primary class (in conjunction with Paladin/CoT levels). You can't have two instances from a class that both give Lay on Hands, that would be ridiculous. Extra Smiting is rather underrated, though. There's always that.

Unless I am severely mistaken. Don't think I am.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 07:36:21 PM by Sword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Apsalar

• Undead Master
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 07:46:17 PM »
They do stack. You still get one use but it counts Paladin + CoT levels for the amount healed.

Merry Munchkin

• Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 08:00:46 PM »
No, Lay on Hands only functions from one primary class (in conjunction with Paladin/CoT levels). You can't have two instances from a class that both give Lay on Hands, that would be ridiculous. Extra Smiting is rather underrated, though. There's always that.

Unless I am severely mistaken. Don't think I am.

Both classes give the lay on hands feat, but the feat is still only a 1 use/day feat regardless (so in effect, the two classes overlap their feat).  Nevertheless, Apsalar is correct that the levels stack for the purpose of determining the amount of damage healed.

This phenomenon also occurs regarding the "summon familiar" feat if you happen to multiclass a wizard/sorcerer -- the character does not get two familiars, but the class levels stack for the purpose of determining the level of the familiar (interesting for druid/rangers however, their levels do not stack for the animal companion feat.  Not sure why, but it is a fact).

Burleigh Burrowell - RIP

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:15:35 AM »
Paladin and Divine Champion levels stack for this feat; "class level" means the sum of paladin and champion levels.

If you would get two separate Lay on Hands, then it would be weaker because one would be based on Paladin's levels and the other one on Divine champion levels.

They stack so you may consider it two in one.