Author Topic: Knock spell  (Read 3152 times)

Bjorn

• Outlander
Knock spell
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
Hello everyone,

I find the spell changes great...but maybe the knock spell is a bit too weak. When you start with the idea that even before the change, nobody was taking it because you just DONT  want to waste spell slot on that. Now, he is completly useless. I think we should put it back to his original form.

Bjorn Red Tiger
Eomirash Kethspar

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Knock spell
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
Unfortunately I don't think it will be changed; usually the complaints are the other way around: people are complaining that Wizards get too much Open Lock from Knock and items. Changing it back to its original form, where a level 3 wizard can open a DC50 lock, would probably be too much of an argument.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »
What? Its good as it is. You get +1 bonus for every 2 levels of caster you have. so you get up to +10 at 20. and you can cast it on another person.

IDreamofDaleks

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 05:39:37 PM »
What? Its good as it is. You get +1 bonus for every 2 levels of caster you have. so you get up to +10 at 20. and you can cast it on another person.

I always found that Knock gave me the necessary boost to overcome those tougher locks. It's one of my favorites. But then, I play a rogue wizard, so It's sort of utility for me anyway . :)

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 06:21:54 PM »
Original Knock was very strong, and not really suited for this setting.

Anyway, this can be said about other things too.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:33:57 AM »
Its actually 1 + 1 per 2 levels I believe.
In any case, a wizard can be excellent at Open Lock if he has some Dexterity and/or Skill focus.
I cannot think of a lock beyond a wizard on the server, using Knock.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 07:54:26 AM »
My sorceress was able to pick most locks by way of a Knock spell, even though I just put a few points in the skill, cross-classing. As with anything else when it comes to skill, it's a bit of a numbers game, but if you're smart, you can pick any lock on the server as a mage if you've got thieves' tools, all the Open Lock gear, etc. I suggest, Bjorn Red Tiger... [dons sunglasses] ... that you don't knock it before you try it.

Spoiler: show

YEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 08:36:24 AM »
My sorceress was able to pick most locks by way of a Knock spell, even though I just put a few points in the skill, cross-classing. As with anything else when it comes to skill, it's a bit of a numbers game, but if you're smart, you can pick any lock on the server as a mage if you've got thieves' tools, all the Open Lock gear, etc. I suggest, Bjorn Red Tiger... [dons sunglasses] ... that you don't knock it before you try it.

:facepalm: Couldn't resist, could you
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 01:19:41 PM »

:roflmao: yuss

really though, knock is great
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »
Yeah I don't think the OP ever saw the spell changes thread or knew what the spell really did.

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:23:12 AM »
Its actually 1 + 1 per 2 levels I believe.
In any case, a wizard can be excellent at Open Lock if he has some Dexterity and/or Skill focus.
I cannot think of a lock beyond a wizard on the server, using Knock.
Uh, no, the item with consumable usage of this spell (level 3) gives just +1.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 02:15:20 PM »
^^at lvl 3 you haven't hit lvl 4 yet, obviously, which is the lvl you would need to be to get +2 from knock. lvl 2-3 is +1, 4-5 +2, 6-7 +3, 8-9 +4 and so on.
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Knas

• Developers
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • Worthless phony
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 05:23:15 AM »
Wasting spell picks is only really a problem for a sorc, but even then open lock is such a useful skill on the server so I figure a lot of people are actually using this spell more frequently than OP might think

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:56 AM »
The reasons sorcs might not pick it. Is simply bloody hell there are alot of usefull level 2 spells

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 09:18:57 AM »

I always found that Knock gave me the necessary boost to overcome those tougher locks. It's one of my favorites. But then, I play a rogue wizard, so It's sort of utility for me anyway . :)

And as someone who plays a rogue offten now, I think i have only had knock cast one me.... about four times at the most. and that was only because she was under level and a few points off but not enough to waste a pick...

Knock is very useful specially now that i can be cast on me or someone else other than a wizard. where a wizard will have to change out two or three peices of gear and remove the lock pick friends which might cause them to lose spell slots with active spells in it. and the fact they can now just throw it on a rogue and the rogue doesn't even need to change gear either is just AWESOME

I will say I have used knock on a diffrent server and yes it is very over powering when the DM makes a maze of locked doors and you pull a lever and opens certain ones but you can have a rogue or even better a wizard walk into the right spot and cast knock... like all the doors on your screen just became unlocked.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero