Author Topic: Cd key recovery  (Read 2646 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Cd key recovery
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
Hey so i spilled water into my laptop and it's probably destroyed. I've got it in rice now but I dont think that's going to do it. So I am on my old busted machine, and need to recover my cd keys. Can an admin fetch them for me from the vault?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Gideon

• Undead Master
  • Keepin' it native.
Re: Cd key recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 08:10:11 PM »
If you can get access to your old hard drive, through an external mount or the like, you can retrieve them.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:11:14 PM »
Requires money.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 03:59:23 AM »
Can't you open your old laptop, extract your HD, put it inside a SATA container (it should be 2.5 right?) and access it using USB port?

If the HD is destroyed it's a problem.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »
Can't you open your old laptop, extract your HD, put it inside a SATA container (it should be 2.5 right?) and access it using USB port?

If the HD is destroyed it's a problem.

No. I can't, because I don't have access to a sata container. I don't have any way to do this stuff, nor friends willing to help me out. I have lost everything, and I have come to peace with that - because I am broke, i am without these "Easy fixes" you both have suggested, and I am without the resources or knowledge of how to even do it. However, when I admined a server, I was able to recover a player's cd key for them by looking it up on character vault, so I am really just asking if an admin is willing to do the same for me.

While you're other suggestions are nice, I am simply unable to do anything else but use it as a paperweight.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:27:58 PM »
Actually you need not be particularly tech savvy nor rich. For a few dollars you can get, in any electronic shop worth its salt, a set of cables which transforms any hard drives into a USB external one. Getting your laptop hdd out should be rather easy as it usually involve unscrewing a single screw on your computer. There is also plenty of videos out there showing how to open a laptop. One is even likely to be for your particular model. Truly yhat is for you the easiest and fastest way to retrieve your keys, short of having the printed info. Note, you can also retrieve them from the GOG.com staff if you bought it there.

Thinking of it, it may even be cheaper to just repurchase it from GOG.com, they sell it dirt cheap. But you lose anything else of worth from your laptop's hdd.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 02:50:48 PM »
We don't have your entire CDKeys. Your character data only has your public CDKey, which is derived from your CDKey but isn't enough to reinstall the game with. There's no way to get your full CDKey out of your Public CDKey.

The hard drive enclosures mentioned above are cheap, averaging around $15-20 USD. A typical enclosure is like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0VN-0003-000H1

They typically come with the cables needed.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »
A new copy of NWN is £6.19 on GoG; what, $8? And will give you a new set of CD keys. Probably cheaper than the alternatives...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:33:07 PM by aprogressivist »
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:38 PM »
A new copy of NWN is £6.19 on GoG; what, $8? And will give you a new set of CD keys. Probably cheaper than the alternatives...

Plus if you get a new laptop or ever need CD keys again, GOG can get you them :)
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »

Plus if you get a new laptop or ever need CD keys again, GOG can get you them :)

Sorry, thanks for all these belated responses. No disrespect meant, but it's been resolved. Firstly, it's not new keys i need, it was the old set. I have a CD keys so I haven't any need to pay for a new set. I also have never, and probably will never, buy a game off gog - no reason to (i just prefer the hard copy.) For a bit over a month now i just have been using the old set up I gave to my cousin.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:42:27 AM by Tycat »
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 11:06:18 PM »
Well, I'm glad you managed to find a work-around. This is why I always prefer PCs over laptops... sure the laptop is nice and portable, but unless we're talking total hard-drive failure, I can usually just plug it into my new machine and access it to recover anything important.  Also, you are less likely to spill something onto your actual PC to fry it, rather than just a keyboard.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 11:40:41 AM »
I can't tell if you are confused or blatantly lying. The "server vault" is a set of folders, one folder per username, with character.bic files in it named for each character you have. Nothing about the vault has anything to do with your CD Key or ever has. The only command a server has to interact with your CD key is called GetPublicCDKey() and the details are here.

It's also unwise to advertise your use of a CD key generator.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »
You guys are the ones who revived a dead thread, though I do sincerely appreciate the info on how to recover my HDD. And i am neither confused or blatantly lying. Thanks though.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 11:43:21 AM by Tycat »
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
Well the Password system is tied to Key, but if you have the password, it can easily be fixed.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »
The password system is proprietary and has nothing to do with the layout of a bic file. It saves your Public CD Key, I assume as a variable on your character somewhere. But that is by no means the full CD key, nor would it have been something a person could retrieve by "looking it up on character vault" on any server.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »
The password system is proprietary and has nothing to do with the layout of a bic file. It saves your Public CD Key, I assume as a variable on your character somewhere. But that is by no means the full CD key, nor would it have been something a person could retrieve by "looking it up on character vault" on any server.
K, first of all, this isn't an argument to fight, so I am not sure why you're being so agressive here. Secondly, I do know for a fact that a cd key is retreivable, but it's fine if it isn't, as I am pretty sure you would have to have access to the server machine to do it. I know this, I've hosted three servers and built two. I am not arguing with you on this. I know this. So there's no reason to debate something like this on a dead thread. Lastly, I don't even need my cd-keys to play. that's not why I asked for them. i can play POTM just fine - as you can all see, I have been - using my old keys, or a new set, or whatever. What i needed my keys for was something else, and i will get them when i recover my HDD. If not, i will take the next step into recovery of them. So chill. And I could do without being lectured about how things work, thanks. I know this truth, and it's cool if you want to express your opinion, but the last several posts have been very unnecessary (save for Blue's, that was very informative and made some good steps towards resolving this matter for me.)

Can this thread be locked before someone else starts an argument over something so silly?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins