Author Topic: Floating PC  (Read 1997 times)

GaiusFreeman

• New to the Mists
Floating PC
« on: November 12, 2014, 02:51:31 AM »
Hey again, another small tech issue.  I rolled up a "fat" phenotype dwarf, and the character is a bit buggy.  Specifically, he seems to float a foot or two above the terrain, and uses no character animations.  He just floats in a default stance (see below).  I installed Mark Johansen's Ravenloft Game Launcher, did an update with it, then cleared out my Override folder and updated again, just to be sure.  No change.  Here are a few screenshots to better illustrate the issue:

The first screenshot shows the overcoat in the correct position, but the rest of the body is floating as in the second shot.  I asked another player, who saw nothing out of the ordinary (thus I tried clearing my override dir).

Any thoughts?

Bato

• Dark Lord
Re: Floating PC
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
That's just a dwarf problem.
If you click on yourself it usually resets the animations and you're good for crafting again.

GaiusFreeman

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
I think it is a bit more complicated in this case.  The problem persists across many areas, using crafting, emoting, etc., etc..  I did notice when I went into the CEP starter mod in the toolset that I have four or five large phenotype options.  The first of these in the list struck that pose and floated; the second was just the normal phenotype; only the fourth options behaved normally.  In a new module with no haks added, only one large phenotype, which behaved normally.  As such, I have deleted all the PotM and CEP content from Override, TLK, HAK, etc.. to try to revert back to vanilla NWN and am now re-downloading with Mark's game launcher.  If that doesn't work, I will try a completely fresh NWN installation after deleting all the things.  At the moment, I suspect the problem has something to do with me installing older versions of CEP before using Mark's updater.  Hopefully that solves it.

GaiusFreeman

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
Nope.  Fresh install, redownloading all haks/overrides/etc. and creating a new character didn't work.  Saw a fat human in the new character area.  He was not floating, but he was in the default pose, no animations sliding across the floor instead of walking.  Anyone who has any ideas, please don't hesitate.

By the way, can anyone tell me which CEP version is being used?  There are so many floating around the Interwebs.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=862.msg6940#msg6940

read that link there will provide all the latest links you need, cep is at 2.6 offically but i think this server still uses 2.4a

GaiusFreeman

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
Yeah, that's what I thought.  Same versions as the update tool, but I did copy over anyway.  Same problem persists.  Not sure what to try now.  I have already done a clean install of the game (1.69) and all 3rrd party stuff.  Tried giving the characters a kick via emotes, resting, clicking, but the head, arms and legs never move.  Only the robe performs any animations.

Halp...

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 02:15:18 PM »
When you say the update tool you dont mean the old now defunct last i knew cep updater do you? if so dont use that its been a no no i think since after 2.1 or 2.2

GaiusFreeman

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »
No, Mark Hohansen's launcher.

GaiusFreeman

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 08:34:55 PM »
Right, I seem to have resolved the issue, if not solved it.  It likely (somehow) was an issue with the GOG installer I was using.  I downloaded another torrent that was several years old (just SoU and HotU 1.66).  I patched to 1.69, ran the PotM installer and things work normally.  I should stress for anyone else that ever encounters this issue: I tried a clean install using the GOG torrent (1.69, of course), then used the PotM installer, and ran into problems.  Exactly the same process but with a different NWN installer package  (then a 1.66->1.69 rebuild patch) produced no graphical anomalies.

TL;DR: if you just can't seem to fix a weird graphical problem using a torrented NWN, try a different torrent. Also, don't lose your disks. : P

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 02:05:14 AM »
Right, I seem to have resolved the issue, if not solved it.  It likely (somehow) was an issue with the GOG installer I was using.  I downloaded another torrent that was several years old (just SoU and HotU 1.66).  I patched to 1.69, ran the PotM installer and things work normally.  I should stress for anyone else that ever encounters this issue: I tried a clean install using the GOG torrent (1.69, of course), then used the PotM installer, and ran into problems.  Exactly the same process but with a different NWN installer package  (then a 1.66->1.69 rebuild patch) produced no graphical anomalies.

TL;DR: if you just can't seem to fix a weird graphical problem using a torrented NWN, try a different torrent. Also, don't lose your disks. : P
Or buy it online for less than 5 bucks.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella