Author Topic: NWN on a MAC System  (Read 3900 times)

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
NWN on a MAC System
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:46:09 AM »
I moved out recently and I couldn't bring my windows PC with me yet. All I have is a macbook pro to play my games. I'm trying to install NWN on the MAC, does someone have any links or tips as to how to do it quick and simple?

Thank You

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
Re: NWN on a MAC System
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:54:58 AM »
I run NWN on a Macbook, and following these instructions worked for me! I also assume that as long as you have the files, the WINE wrapper will work, so you shouldn't worry if you don't have the GoG version.

(Instructions taken from http://www.gog.com/)

(1) Buy a copy of NWN Diamond from GoG, and download all materials.
(2) Email GoG and ask for multiplayer serial codes, so they will email you new ones (This is the second step because there's a time delay for them to get the codes to you---do it quick for fastest response, mine only took about 24 hours).
(3) https://www.mediafire.com/?2img3h1oh8j03 - Go here to get doh123's wrapper for the game.
(4) Follow the WINE instructions in the download, and install the GoG NWN setup .exe file from the download (the 2GB file). The instructions with the WINE download are great.
(5) Drop your new multiplayer CD key .ini file (from GoG email) into your WINE "C:\" drive directory for NWN.
(6) Edit your nwn.ini file to disable intro videos, as per the instructions with the WINE. To disable all videos, add a line in your .ini file that reads:
"Disable Videos=1"
(You can search the interwebs for fixes to play the videos instead of disable them. If you find them, post them here!)
(7) Open WINE and run the "premium modules re-installer" .exe file downloaded from GoG, to update your CD keys for multiplayer (instructions for this are in your email from GoG with the new multiplayer CD codes).

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 07:55:23 AM by emptyanima »

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 12:52:23 PM »
I saw your reply to a post on gog.com - I tried clicking the link and it didn't work back then, but it works now that you posted it here. Thanks, I'll have a look.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 02:41:32 PM »
I currently have NWN running on my macbook pro.
SEVERAL years ago i could get a pack with the Mac-version of NWN in my fingers - though, all i need it for is the .app. Everything else including the serials i take from the regulary purchased diamond edition Windows CDs. Works perfectly!

But now a question... until now i still use Mac OX 10.6.8 - due to system requirements of some insanely expensive software that does not run under 10.7 any more, which i do not need any more now.
So i check all my remaining software for similar incompatibilities, and now there is NWN... Does anybody know if the NWN-Mac-version 1.69 still works under Mavericks or Yosemity? Or is Wine as well my future project?
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

functor

• Outlander
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 02:48:58 PM »
I currently have NWN running on my macbook pro.
SEVERAL years ago i could get a pack with the Mac-version of NWN in my fingers - though, all i need it for is the .app. Everything else including the serials i take from the regulary purchased diamond edition Windows CDs. Works perfectly!

But now a question... until now i still use Mac OX 10.6.8 - due to system requirements of some insanely expensive software that does not run under 10.7 any more, which i do not need any more now.
So i check all my remaining software for similar incompatibilities, and now there is NWN... Does anybody know if the NWN-Mac-version 1.69 still works under Mavericks or Yosemity? Or is Wine as well my future project?

Yosemite user here, works well under WINE. The Mac version is intel-compatible? Then it should likely work as well...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 02:51:10 PM by functor »

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »
Yosemite user here, works well under WINE. The Mac version is intel-compatible? Then it should likely work as well...
After reading several web ressources in the meantime it seems that the old Mac version is NOT Intel compatible - so it will be WINE. Fortunately, i have two complete packages for Windows in stock.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:57:39 PM by Thoraion »
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 12:04:59 AM »
wow,

I can run nwn toolset on bootcamp using latest Mac Yosemite OS, that's great!

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 07:56:05 AM »
Bumping this thread due to recent enquiries and to replace the dead Bioware forum link.

lakhena

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:52:55 AM »
I went the super easy route since I couldn't get wine to work for me. 

1. I bought the gog.com diamond edition for PC.  Nabbed a multiplayer CD key using the website request in the gog.com personal account page.

2. Then I bought a subscription to CrossOver for the Mac. 

3. Installed and voila!  Everything works beautifully.

Greengrowl

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 05:29:25 PM »
Bumping this thread for people who run NwN on their Mac with Wineskins, etc.

When you say EVERYTHING works, do you mean everything including visual overrides? NwNCQ? I couldn't stand just the vanilla game

Greengrowl

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 07:59:25 PM »
I'm back! with a Mac!

Ran into a wall following these instructions though. When I try to start the Wineskin app it just perpetually says "wineskin is busy"

Fix online I found said to "Try starting wineskinthe wrapper holding down alt. then go to advanced and "Kill wineskin processes", then try again."

But I don't know what that means? there's a step missing- where's 'advanced,' from which menu?

I wasn't able to fix this problem, so I just downloaded the regular wineskin and tried to install nwn from there. I can only get nwn.exe to work though, not nwn.main. I've installed the critical rebuild and everything

Anyone with any experience with Wineskins appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:35:07 AM by Greengrowl »

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 01:23:07 AM »
I don't play on a Mac but rather on Linux, so I can't answer your question with certainty. I suspect, however, that Wine on a Mac works similarly to how it works on a Linux box because the more recent versions of the Mac OS are built on top of Linux/Unix.

What is likely happening is that the wrapper sets certain registry keys and path and other environment values the way they need to be set for the application to work within the simulated Windows environment. If nwmain.exe is not working, it's likely because that's not been done for it.

Question: Do you launch nwn.exe by directly clicking on it, or by clicking on something else (such as a shortcut)?

For example, I start NWN by clicking on a shortcut. The shortcut actually calls PlayOnLinux (the wrapper) and passes it the value of nwn.exe as the program it wants to run. PlayOnLinux then creates the environment that the program needs to run under. It knows how to do this because nwn.exe is registered with the database for PlayOnLinux that stores all these shenanigans.

If I click on nwn.exe it won't work. Nor does it work if I click on nwmain.exe directly.

If it's true that wineskin is launching the program for you and setting everything up for you (likely), then the same sort of thing needs to be done for nwmain.exe. Are you able to tell? If you can, then you might be able to copy the "wrapper" settings from the one launcher to the other and go from there.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:25:16 AM by DrXavierTColtrane »
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.

DrXavierTColtrane

• Dark Lord
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 11:56:08 AM »
By the way, there is a PlayOnMac that looks as though it's made by the same developers as PlayOnLinux:

https://www.playonmac.com/en/

You are likely tired of installing wrappers by now, but since I'm familiar with the Linux version of that it would be easier for me to help you if you did.
For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight.