Author Topic: A harsher winter >: )  (Read 4733 times)

Dark Dreams

• Undead Slayer
A harsher winter >: )
« on: August 24, 2014, 09:16:35 PM »
Idea: place triggers that encompass any streams, etc. that bring a character's save vs. cold down by 2 for (ie) an hour (IG) or so when that character walks through the water?

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: A harsher winter >: )
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 10:30:40 PM »
Idea: place triggers that encompass any streams, etc. that bring a character's save vs. cold down by 2 for (ie) an hour (IG) or so when that character walks through the water?

I always RPed the smaller streams (ie. any that you can walk across) as being frozen after a month of sub-zero temps. I always figured it was just engine limitations that they remained they way they are. As it is, the devs have done an amazing job with the seasonal system.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:36:16 AM »
Realistically once it gets below 30, it's below freezing, and that stream is frozen solid.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Purist

• Red Academy
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
Realistically once it gets below 30, it's below freezing, and that stream is frozen solid.

30 celsiun or farenheit, why americans, why cant you join the world in an easy standard?!

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »

30 celsiun or farenheit, why americans, why cant you join the world in an easy standard?!

Here is the thing though. Moving water doesn't freeze well lest not fully and if it does Its not very thick ice.

THat however i have always thought it would be interesting to have a script during the winter so that in specific places like up the mountains where there is soem water like that small square streem would be FREEZING cold to walk in and have people take cold damage based on the time of year.. course thats alot of work and so i would not ask for anyone to make it so.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »

Here is the thing though. Moving water doesn't freeze well lest not fully and if it does Its not very thick ice.

THat however i have always thought it would be interesting to have a script during the winter so that in specific places like up the mountains where there is soem water like that small square streem would be FREEZING cold to walk in and have people take cold damage based on the time of year.. course thats alot of work and so i would not ask for anyone to make it so.

YOu and i BOTH live in Minnesota and you know darn well that moving water freezes. Look at the Rum river, that thing get's solid, and we're not talking about rivers, we're talking about streams. Moving or not that stream is ice below 30*F
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »

YOu and i BOTH live in Minnesota and you know darn well that moving water freezes. Look at the Rum river, that thing get's solid, and we're not talking about rivers, we're talking about streams. Moving or not that stream is ice below 30*F

As a Canadian I can confirm that everything freezes.
: )

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
Normally if a river or deep stream freezes, it's still a good idea to be very careful if you try to cross.  Because even then, there is still water or moving water beneath the ice.  Otherwise, rivers up north would be void of life come spring.  In a place as cold as Barovia gets though, one can still assume that the majority of creeks freeze over enough to cross.  Just don't take chances, IC.  It isn't always certain if ice is frozen over enough to travel over.

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:36 PM »

Frozen up top yes I know but not down to the ground there Tycat SO forgive ME and not explaining it properly the first time :)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
I would say that the average stream in NWN comes up to your knee. This is a larger than average stream (definitely larger than a spring) and is more like a creek. Barovian winters fall well below the freezing point steadily, and I would think it is shallow enough for 2.5 feet of water (generous) to freeze to the bed.
Fun fact!

-40*F, your skin starts to freeze after a few minutes outside. You can throw a cup of hot water into the air and it will evaporate immediately. YOu can throw cold water in the air and it will freeze before it hits the ground. we hit -60*F last winter, and people were told to stay inside, for fear of immediate frost bite. or something like that.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Chronox

• Undead Master
  • "I Hate Qwerty" Club Vice-President
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:35 PM »
Fun Fact: Minnesota is a symbol of man's arrogance towards nature.
I Play:

Ceryn
Arryn Moorlight

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 10:51:45 PM »
Normally if a river or deep stream freezes, it's still a good idea to be very careful if you try to cross.  Because even then, there is still water or moving water beneath the ice.  Otherwise, rivers up north would be void of life come spring.  In a place as cold as Barovia gets though, one can still assume that the majority of creeks freeze over enough to cross.  Just don't take chances, IC.  It isn't always certain if ice is frozen over enough to travel over.

Well, my hometown is split in half by a river, and our winters are every bit as harsh as Barovia's... I can tell you that after a month or so of sub-zero temperatures, that river has ice several inches thick. We usually walk right across it from November to March. I would think anything in Barovia that isn't immediately next to a waterfall would freeze over like that as well.

Vaesi

• Outlander
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 09:27:11 PM »
I've seen waterfalls frozen over, so some of those even freeze solid.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »
I've seen waterfalls frozen over, so some of those even freeze solid.

Right you are, I have seen waterfalls freeze on the surface (though the water is still flowing beneath it)... it's actually quite beautiful to see.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2014, 05:34:58 AM »
Hah, I love you guys for these discussions...

And the idea is a good one - it could even be used for making vampires avoid running water - but the question is more how circumstantial it would be to implement. I'll think on it :)

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2014, 09:31:37 AM »

And the idea is a good one - it could even be used for making vampires avoid running water - but the question is more how circumstantial it would be to implement. I'll think on it :)

hey hey wooo.... running water does not STOP a vampire dead in its tracks lol while it makes them nerves even though they are undead they can still cross it if they have to. lol

IDreamofDaleks

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »

hey hey wooo.... running water does not STOP a vampire dead in its tracks lol while it makes them nerves even though they are undead they can still cross it if they have to. lol

Really? Jander Sunstrider...Sunstar...some Blood Elf like name.... near passed out and had to be carried over a running river on someone else's back, and that was with a bridge! Or are those books 'loose' canon?

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 12:30:51 PM »
Vampires will, generally speaking, do whatever it takes to minimize the risk involved in crossing running water. It won't stop them dead, but they're not going to just cross the stream either. They will be either turning into bat form to fly across, or using a footbridge to cross if there is one. They cannot cross such streams in gaseous form for any reason.

What happened with Jander Sunstar is canon, though anything else written by Golden should be carefully considered. "The Enemy Within", which describes Malken/Tristan Hiregaard, goes quite strongly against established canon for instance and should be disregarded.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
I believe Van Richten's Guide to Vampires states that they are hurt badly whenever submerged three quarters or more into running water, which I think most our streams would qualify as, or at least very nearly. The main consequence would be that they would turn into bat form when crossing a stream though, so it would mostly be a gimmick.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 04:42:25 PM »
You know, while we're on the topic of things that would make you face a lowered save vs. cold... one survival tip I was given concerning winter conditions is that sweating is DEADLY. One should avoid sweating as much as possible because once your clothes get damp, the cold hits you that much worse. Does exhaustion already lower saves vs. cold? That would likely be the best way to represent it. As for the streams, there are two types that I can see: the deeper streams that does submerge your character a considerable bit like the one found in Vallaki's Southeastern Farmlands and the shallow streams (for an elf it's not even knee deep) like you find in Degannwy and the lake map that connects to it.