Author Topic: Abber Nomad  (Read 8443 times)

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
Abber Nomad
« on: August 14, 2014, 04:37:09 AM »
Ok, so I have been reading and I think I have the concept down, but I am finding this to be unfamiliar waters. So here's a few questions that have popped up.

1. Do they basically have the memory of a gold fish, or do they simply choose not to hold on to memories and live solely in the present? That said...

2. Can they have lasting relationships, or is every meeting a first impression?

3. Once they stop "perceiving" something, and it returns, do they make the link and know of this person or thing as they had known/met before?

4. The Abber language, as far as common/native tongues go, what is their grasp on speaking? How well do they speak common? What kind of accent or style would they adopt in their tongue and what could I consider a good reference point for their native tongue?

5. Not really investing a whole lot of interest in the world around them, as they believe it's all a dream/nightmare, what's the level of knowledge they have about the lands outside the Nightmare Lands? What should I expect as I flit around Barovia and other places that are not my character's strange origins?

6. How are they treated by NPC's in Barovia?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
  • Ah! the generals! (is AKA WhenWolvesHoundThePrey)
Re: Abber Nomad
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 04:59:12 AM »
BloodRose played a aber nomad, he did not remember peoples names or remember much at all unless it was really significant. other than that hes style was like a native american indian.

Personally they strike me more like neolithic men or what ever given larger optical memory, less focus on language, unable to count very far or keep a day bay calendar and able to literally just forget things or people that do not matter any more.

If that assumption is correct the Clan of the cave bear books http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clan_of_the_Cave_Bear Will be a good source of inspiration especially the very first one.

Its also a film but the book has some things you will want to read and the film just does not put into words.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:04:20 AM by MadJKevlar »

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:41:06 AM »
I don't think Abber Nomads lend themselves well to PC characters. More of an NPC that exists for interaction purposes.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
I don't think Abber Nomads lend themselves well to PC characters. More of an NPC that exists for interaction purposes.

In theory, a PC from the Nightmare Lands would be a riot to play. In practice I am finding it significantly challenging.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 01:40:56 PM »

In theory, a PC from the Nightmare Lands would be a riot to play. In practice I am finding it significantly challenging.

I actually agree with Vinc, it would be more suited to an NPC, because they are hard to play. But hell if you can do it! Kudos! It;s beyond me
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 01:49:21 PM »
I addressed this about a year or two ago: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=32911.0

Their memory is fine, they just live in a land where dreams and reality coexist. They're never sure if what they're seeing is real or imagined, so they just assume that anything they're not paying attention to winks out of existence.

Culturally, they're mostly based on the Ojibwe people of North America, with a little bit of Australian Aranda and New Zealand Maori thrown in.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 01:53:58 PM »
I addressed this about a year or two ago: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=32911.0

Their memory is fine, they just live in a land where dreams and reality coexist. They're never sure if what they're seeing is real or imagined, so they just assume that anything they're not paying attention to winks out of existence.

Culturally, they're mostly based on the Ojibwe people of North America, with a little bit of Australian Aranda and New Zealand Maori thrown in.

I actually read through that, and it still left me with the questions i had above.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »
I actually read through that, and it still left me with the questions i had above.
Okay, I'll try to answer them

1. Do they basically have the memory of a gold fish, or do they simply choose not to hold on to memories and live solely in the present?
Their memory works just like any other human's, they just have no faith in the permanency of their memories.

2. Can they have lasting relationships, or is every meeting a first impression?
See above. They can remember things just fine, but they don't assume their memories will last forever. Because of this cultural belief, they tend to avoid making long range plans or commitments. They do live in groups of about 10-40 individuals.

3. Once they stop "perceiving" something, and it returns, do they make the link and know of this person or thing as they had known/met before?
Again, their memories work just fine, so yes. They would probably believe that they'd eventually forget that person.

4. The Abber language, as far as common/native tongues go, what is their grasp on speaking? How well do they speak common? What kind of accent or style would they adopt in their tongue and what could I consider a good reference point for their native tongue?
Their language is like no other language in the Ravenloft setting. The accessory Carnival has an Abber NPC and he speaks no Common, and his native tongue is described as consisting of lots of clicks and whistles. Linguistically it would be a language with lots of bilabial clicks

5. Not really investing a whole lot of interest in the world around them, as they believe it's all a dream/nightmare, what's the level of knowledge they have about the lands outside the Nightmare Lands? What should I expect as I flit around Barovia and other places that are not my character's strange origins?
They have no knowledge of the world outside the Nightmare Lands. They are an aboriginal, nomadic society in an exceptionally harsh land, and thus do not have the luxury of schooling or travel.

6. How are they treated by NPC's in Barovia?
The same as anyone else that isn't Barovian.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 02:59:42 PM »
I agree with viniculum and the others, they are best for NPCs.

It's taken from the monster manual, those search engine things are really amazing:

Human, Abber Nomad
Climate/Terrain:   The Nightmare Lands
Frequency:   Common
Organization:   Tribe
Activity Cycle:   Day
Diet:   Omnivore
Intelligence:   Average (8-10)
Treasure:   Nil
Alignment:   Neutral
No. Appearing:   10-40 (10d4)
Armor Class:   8 (10)
Movement:   12
Hit Dice:   2
THAC0:   19
No. of Attacks:   1
Damage/Attack:   1-2 or by weapon
Special Attacks:   Nil
Special Defenses:   Resist illusions
Magic Resistance:   Nil
Size:   M (6˝’ tall)
Morale:   Average (8-10)
XP Value:   65

The Abber nomads are a stoic and proud people who dwell in the dreaded Nightmare Lands. Considered by outsiders to be barbarians, the Abber nomads have an unusually sophisticated outlook on life that, not surprisingly, is almost as alien as the bizarre realm that they inhabit.

The typical Abber nomad male stands roughly six and a half feet tall with females being only an inch or so shorter. They are generally well-muscled survivors, as befits their nomadic society and the harsh land with which they must contend.

The language of the Abber nomads is absolutely unique; no scholar has ever been able to liken it to any tongue spoken by any other race in any known land. Further, there seems to be little in their culture to link these people with any other human race, making them seem all the more outcast and alien to the visitor.

Combat: When hunting or making ready for battle, Abber nomads paint their faces and bodies with traditional symbols that they feel will give them power over the animals they are stalking or the enemies they are confronting. Most wear tanned skins and carry wooden shields that provide them with AC 8 protection. In all regards, save the following, they fight as normal men.

In melee combat, they employ long, slender spears set with stone tips that function as javelins. These weapons could be thrown, but the nomads seldom use them in that manner and make no effort to balance them for flight.

In missile combat, the Abber nomads use short bows. They often coat their arrowheads in a mild toxin (Class C, 2-5 minutes, 25/2d4) to aid in hunting larger animals. As a rule, 1 in 3 nomads will have poisoned arrows in any encounter.

The Abber nomads live in a wild land of chaos and uncertainty. Because of this, they have developed a natural immunity to all manner of illusions and hallucinations. Any spell designed to fool any of an Abber nomad’s senses has a 25% chance of failing to affect them. Even if the spell manages to get past their inherent resistance to it, they are entitled to a +4 bonus on any saving throws required to negate enchantments of this type.

Habitat/Society: The Abber nomads, as their name implies, make no permanent strudures. They travel about from place to place in search of the basic elements of survival. They work no metals, but are skilled at woodworking and have some interest in stone carving (usually for the design and construction of minor tools and hunting implements).

While the Abber nomads might seem to be a fairly typical aboriginal culture, nothing could be further from the truth. Their strange surroundings have convinced them that the universe is a wild and unpredictable place – leaving them with no understanding of science or the traditional concepts of cause and effect. In the Nightmare lands, a device or spell that works one day, might cease to function the next.

Because of the strange happenings of the Nightmare Lands, the nomads have developed a philosophy that, greatly paraphrased, says that anything they cannot perceive themselves does not exist. Thus, someone who walks out of their sight ceases to exist until they are again visible. While this can make outsiders uncomfortable and efforts to deal with the nomads very difficult (the nomads will make no long range plans or commitments), it enables them to cope with life in a wild place that seems oblivious to the natural laws that rule the rest of the universe. In addition, the nomads have no faith in the permanency of anything, including ideas or memories. In short, they accept what is and make no efforts to change it or participate in it. They are, perhaps, the universe’s most withdrawn and disinterested occupants.

Each tribe of nomads will be composed of 10-40 adults (roughly half male and half female). In addition, there will be another 25% of this number who are young children that do not fight or hunt. Among adults, men and women hunt and share all labors equally. One in ten of the adults will be a leader with 5 HD (THAC0 15). There may be more than one leader in any given tribe. None of the Abber nomads will employ any manner of spells, for they practice no magic.

Ecology: As the Nightmare Lands have no natural ecosystem, any judgement about the nomad’s place in it is difficult to make. Still, it is clear that, even if the wild lands about them were not constantly in flux, they would have little impact upon them. They are a simple people who survive as hunters and gatherers.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
Thanks for the info. I am going to go ahead and keep trying this concept, at least until i either decide it's too much or I am told i am doing it wrong :D
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
They're totally fine as a PC as long as you avoid playing them as a stereotype.

Ehver

• Dark Lord
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 08:34:29 PM »

You can't play stereotypes?! Or is this just for Abber Nomads? : P
Ilinca Cristescu - Urban Witch
Player Faction: The Mistraiders

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 08:36:42 PM »

The last time there was an Abber Nomad PC it was an awful racist stereotype of a Native American. Obviously, though, racial/ethnic stereotypes should be avoided no matter what your PC is.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 08:42:32 PM »

The last time there was an Abber Nomad PC it was an awful racist stereotype of a Native American. Obviously, though, racial/ethnic stereotypes should be avoided no matter what your PC is.

Would this include being determined to be a completely uneducated Barovian who doesn't do anything and hides in a house away from outlanders all day, and goes out and RPs farming?

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »

Would this include being determined to be a completely uneducated Barovian who doesn't do anything and hides in a house away from outlanders all day, and goes out and RPs farming?

He obviously meant racial stereotypes, like making an Abber Nomad named "Chief Little Horn" who hates the pale faces and their sale of fire water to his people.  If you think it MIGHT be offensive, it probably is.  Don't do it.  The word "Steryotype" in this context had nothing to do with the "Typical Barovian" (or any other domain's people) section you'd see in the Gazetteer.  If you want to RP a farmer, nobody is going to tell you that you can't.  Though that, like the Abber Nomads, who have such a limited role in how they'd be able to interact with others, would be best left to NPCs in my own opinion.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »

He obviously meant racial stereotypes, like making an Abber Nomad named "Chief Little Horn" who hates the pale faces and their sale of fire water to his people.  If you think it MIGHT be offensive, it probably is.  Don't do it.  The word "Steryotype" in this context had nothing to do with the "Typical Barovian" (or any other domain's people) section you'd see in the Gazetteer.  If you want to RP a farmer, nobody is going to tell you that you can't.  Though that, like the Abber Nomads, who have such a limited role in how they'd be able to interact with others, would be best left to NPCs in my own opinion.

It was moreso a joke, I'm not that dense, friend.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »
I can't help but see a trend of people saying that this is best left to NPC's, so I ask, why is this an option on creation?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 11:20:45 PM »
I can't help but see a trend of people saying that this is best left to NPC's, so I ask, why is this an option on creation?

Because it CAN be done in theory does not mean something works well in practice. Those people who told you it is best left to NPCs (myself included) have voiced an opinion based on collective experience, though it is only an opinion not a restriction.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 11:32:13 PM »

Because it CAN be done in theory does not mean something works well in practice. Those people who told you it is best left to NPCs (myself included) have voiced an opinion based on collective experience, though it is only an opinion not a restriction.

While it is an opinion, I have learned a lot about them in the last 72 hours and even I wonder if this much 'creative freedom' is something that should be available to everyone. I personally think that I could handle this, but I do wonder if this whole concept shouldn't be something special.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 11:55:02 PM »
ty if you can do it, do it. I'd love to see an abber nomad on the server
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 11:57:39 PM »
If you want to try it, go for it. Any instances of 'me smokum peace pipe' like what I've seen in the past, though, and I'm moving such offensive caricatures to the Shame Cube where they belong.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 12:00:16 AM »
I think the problem with playing an Abber Nomad is that you're playing a solipsist, and solipsism is fundamentally a very boring philosophy once you get past the exotic weirdness of the Abber Nomads themselves.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 12:00:31 AM »
AHHAAHAAAHAHAAAAAAAAaaaa Peace pipe.

But seriously, the character I rolled up might need some tidying up, and this very well would probably take up more time than I have for an alt - so I should wait for a nice lull in Donnie's antics before attempting to tackle this ... huge chunk of nightmare man.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 02:17:58 AM »
So I've piloted my dude for two-three days now. If anyone has any critiques or advice, please feel free to send me a pm. it is an intimidating concept, and I would rather contribute to the server than fumble around it :D
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins