You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Player Graveyard  (Read 1943 times)

chuuch1

• Undead Slayer
Player Graveyard
« on: July 06, 2014, 10:27:21 PM »
The POTM Virtual Graveyard thread gave me this idea, I think it would be kinda cool.  Since there are perma-deaths here, it would be nice to at least have your characters name on a tombstone somewhere, should they be unfortunate enough to succumb to it. 

I purpose making an "outlander graveyard"  somewhere in Barovia off in the woods.  I would assume Barovians wouldn't want their own dead with mixed with freaks and witches ;)  So if a character is perma killed, and has nice enough friends who will pay for a tombstone, they will get one. 

Can be as simple as creating an area with lots of graves, and putting a mark infront of each one with a blurb.  "Jon Doe, killed by Ogres in the Narrow pass"  "Jane Willo, Assassinated via poison" etc.  Then having a DM or Dev in charge of adding names.  Your character dies, pay for a tombstone, send PM to responsible Dev/DM and have the tombstone in next update?

I think it would add a ton of depth to the server, maybe even have a graveyard for barovians, port etc

Past characters can be added as well i suppose.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
Re: Player Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 11:40:43 PM »
That would be a REALLY big graveyard, and a pain for the Devs to keep updated.  You'd need a whole area just titled "Vengeful Seraphim", and another whole area titled "Amon-Si."  It's a cool idea, but not really the best use of Dev time in my own opinion.  If they feel differently though, then by all means!  :)

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 11:49:58 PM »
That would be a REALLY big graveyard, and a pain for the Devs to keep updated.  You'd need a whole area just titled "Vengeful Seraphim", and another whole area titled "Amon-Si."  It's a cool idea, but not really the best use of Dev time in my own opinion.  If they feel differently though, then by all means!  :)

It's true

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 04:34:42 AM »
There is a graveyard like this already in Ravenloft

It's in Mordent and mysteriously grows.
It's property of one of the lost noble families of the domain, Mournesworth. The tombstones even display dates from the outlander's world of origin.

Since Mordent isn't in the mod though we don't see it.
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
  • Ah! the generals! (is AKA WhenWolvesHoundThePrey)
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:58:59 AM »
There is a graveyard like this already in Ravenloft

It's in Mordent and mysteriously grows.
It's property of one of the lost noble families of the domain, Mournesworth. The tombstones even display dates from the outlander's world of origin.

Since Mordent isn't in the mod though we don't see it.

Interesting, and there I thought the majority of dead characters never even make it to grave because they lay festering behind locked doors, in gaurd faction locked areas or are corpse hidden and left forgoten... or resurrected if found :P

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
  • Ah! the generals! (is AKA WhenWolvesHoundThePrey)
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:10:15 AM »
The POTM Virtual Graveyard thread gave me this idea, I think it would be kinda cool.  Since there are perma-deaths here, it would be nice to at least have your characters name on a tombstone somewhere, should they be unfortunate enough to succumb to it. 

I purpose making an "outlander graveyard"  somewhere in Barovia off in the woods.  I would assume Barovians wouldn't want their own dead with mixed with freaks and witches ;)  So if a character is perma killed, and has nice enough friends who will pay for a tombstone, they will get one. 

Can be as simple as creating an area with lots of graves, and putting a mark infront of each one with a blurb.  "Jon Doe, killed by Ogres in the Narrow pass"  "Jane Willo, Assassinated via poison" etc.  Then having a DM or Dev in charge of adding names.  Your character dies, pay for a tombstone, send PM to responsible Dev/DM and have the tombstone in next update?

I think it would add a ton of depth to the server, maybe even have a graveyard for barovians, port etc

Past characters can be added as well i suppose.

Objectively speaking if the circumstances of your death allow it, and the rp of your friends and allies promote it strongly enough in the wake of your characters death if it is likely not beyond the abilities of staff to add a grave for some one. I think they would have to be a pretty special character though. Like a true Hero of Valaki or something to such an effect. The staff do however make changes to the map based on rp all the time.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 06:13:25 AM by MadJKevlar »

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 10:06:25 AM »
I like the idea, would just be a matter of finding someone who's willing and able to make that happen
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 10:21:20 AM »
This likely won't happen as it would take too much time and energy to do it. We've, at times, put up memorials for deceased characters but only when said characters had a major impact or it was fitting. This is done on a case by case basis and is not systematic. Generally speaking, we don't do it based on player requests but rather if we find it to be something positive for the server overall.