Author Topic: Food rations idea  (Read 2097 times)

dark_majico

Food rations idea
« on: June 28, 2014, 02:05:11 PM »
I just thought what with the famine event running I had an idea that the food rations could be tweaked a little. Instead of just killing an animal and getting generic rations, turn the 'meat' into a component, create a 'carbohydrate' component, and a final 'water' component. Place the meat, carbohydrate, and water in a cooking pot to create a ration. Combining a carbohydrate and a water to get a variation for vegetarian characters. Buy the carbohydrates from stores, inns, bakerys, and taverns, hunt the meat, collect water from fresh water sources or buy from inns and taverns. Easy enough for everyone to create rations still, and it makes the food rations seem a little bit more like an actual RP tool.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
Re: Food rations idea
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
I ask because I don't know:  Would it be a large scripting change?
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

dark_majico

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 03:48:30 PM »
Having not seen the existing scripts I cant be 100% but I think the food ration scripts should be very small, your simply taking an item with an on activation function (the meat) and using it with the campfire item, which creates item 'food ration' in the PC's inventory, then destroy item 'meat'. There should be something in the script to ensure the campfire is 'lit', which should be a single line maybe? As far as I can tell that should be it. So that's what, 4 or 5 lines?

Putting in extra components makes it something like "Use item X on cooking pot to fire the script (like the boilers hook fires the leather boiling crafting) check item X, Y, and Z are located in object A (object A being a cooking pot, X Y and Z are meat, carbs, water) if yes create X animation, create item 'Food Ration' in PC's inventory, destroy items X Y and Z in cooking pot. Then you just use the existing script in place for eating a food ration. So it's actually using existing scripts and adding in something else to get the end result.

The most effort would be putting in carbs and water but we have towns with bakery's and warehouses, and farm lands/barns/fields (so players can steal them if they want too, good for outlaw bandit roleplay), as well as inns and taverns so you just need to put them in stores and items with inventory's, so everything is in place to place them already. Don't we have water sources for the canteens and the Akiri desert? I'm not sure I haven't gone there, but a few choice rivers and wells are easily identified as water sources throughout the module, water purchased in stores can make up for short falls in water sources very easily. Slowly add in ways to forage for carbs (maybe even grow them in the future, granes, maiz, potatoes, turnips?) so players aren't forced to purchase everything, or if there character roleplay concepts or OCR prevent purchasing from stores, but purchasing is the easiest way of keeping well fed which is only right. If your going to hunt and forage for food then your always going to have take a few extra steps to do it but that is part of the fun of playing your hermit/one with nature/bandit-outlaw concept.

I think that's what I'm most disappointed by the current system, surviving in the wild is almost no extra effort than purchasing food. You kill a few effortless creatures and collect stacks and stacks of food rations instantly, you can easily find 20 or 30 stacked in your inventory on a leisurely strole through a few areas, and it's just isn't fun that way.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:12:36 PM by dark_majico »

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »
Yeah I can see that scripting wise it wouldn't take much to do.... But.... Adding the necessary items to every store in game could be quite the chore to complete  ;)

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 12:32:20 PM »
This idea sounds way too modern to me. Personally I don't think the addition of carbohydrates will do much for my immersion.
Isn't food ration a pretty generic term by the way? Why would there be a need to make a seperate vegetarian version?

I wouldn't mind seeing some more flavour added to cooking at all and additional recipes could be nice, like the ability to make bread or roasted meat / mushrooms instead of everything automatically turning into a generic food ration. But this idea sounds like adding realism for the sake of realism and technical correctness, I honestly can't picture mixing carbohydrates and water to lead to many RP opportunities. I'd much rather see the brewing of ales and mead implemented instead.

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 01:48:06 PM »
What about those who want to eat roasted-mink-on-a-stick?

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »
This sounds pretty much like my suggestion a couple weeks ago. I like it, but maybe instead of "carbohydrate", we use a potato. Or any of the other random food we already have.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 02:12:04 PM »
What about those who want to eat roasted-mink-on-a-stick?

Squirrel. Squirrel on a stick. :)

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Gideon

• Undead Master
  • Keepin' it native.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power

-Semi-Retired-

dark_majico

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
This idea sounds way too modern to me. Personally I don't think the addition of carbohydrates will do much for my immersion.
Isn't food ration a pretty generic term by the way? Why would there be a need to make a seperate vegetarian version?

I wouldn't mind seeing some more flavour added to cooking at all and additional recipes could be nice, like the ability to make bread or roasted meat / mushrooms instead of everything automatically turning into a generic food ration. But this idea sounds like adding realism for the sake of realism and technical correctness, I honestly can't picture mixing carbohydrates and water to lead to many RP opportunities. I'd much rather see the brewing of ales and mead implemented instead.

I just called it "carbohydrate" because that's a generic term, it can be called something else, whether its called carbohydrate or potatoe the outcome is the same. I thought it would be a better idea to take something already in play and flesh it out a little more, rather than adding something entirely new into the module. Members of the community have made suggestions for cooking systems to be included, which is perfectly possible and in itself not very technical to create, but as a cooking craft is only going to be used for a role playing purposes, the way I see it because the hunger system is optional for players it's better to borrow the food ration/hunger system to fill that role. Vegetarian wasn't something I was going to suggest at first but then I released there could be a lot of characters who would be vegetarian, either through religious dogma, or cultural/geographical reasons. It would hardly be fair for me to suggest this if I had not taken their consideration into account.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:22:19 PM by dark_majico »